Thread: Keeping Busy

Default Keeping Busy

I live in a small town of roughly 5000 people. Within the last few months, our department has been kept quite busy. No fewer than three large businesses have gone up in flames since February alone. It keeps us tired and busy but happy.

MembersZone Subscriber

Please reword your post before the masses start the attack.

Temporarily/No Longer Active

It keeps us tired and busy but happy.
    LALALALALALALA I didnt hear that.LAALALALALALALA You didnt just say that. LALALALALALALALALALA

Forum Member

I'm not going to touch the happy part......but your Municipality may want to explore a better Fire Prevention program .....either that or you have a severe arson problem. Maybe your post should have read.........tired, busy and concerned?
    Last edited by LadyCapn; 06-10-2003 at 07:28 AM.

MembersZone Subscriber

If I didn't know better (and maybe I don't) I'd think someone is fishing for controversy. Psycho, please clarify before folks start getting ugly. Believe me sooner or later it will happen.
    "We shouldn't be opening firehouses in Baghdad and closing them in New York City."

IACOJ

IACOJ BOD

There is no Punch without Judy...
    Psychiatrists state 1 in 4 people has a mental illness.
    Look at three of your friends, if they are ok, your it.

Forum Member

Default Prevention?

I bet you wont be so happy when your department feels the pinch of losing the tax revenue generated by these lost businesses.

MembersZone Subscriber

With a name like psychospitfire, i'd start to wonder.
    No calls is good, nobody is getting hurt or losing property.

Forum Member
    Now in Victoria, BC. I'm from beautiful Jasper Alberta in the heart of the Can. Rockies - will always be an Albertan at heart!

Angry Here we go again

Please THINK before you POST!!

I have removed the name of the town in the article.

*NAME OF TOWN REMOVED* shop gutted
    Auto parts and repair biz goes up in smoke

By PAUL COWAN and DAN PALMER, EDMONTON SUN

A business was gutted yesterday after firefighters battled raging flames, thick smoke and explosions at a 30-year-old *NAME REMOVED* automotive parts and repair shop.

"I don't know what he's going to do," said Helen Bortnick, the 78-year-old mother of owner Marcel Bortnick. "He loved the business so much."

The fire, which destroyed most of the business, is at least the third major blaze to hit the community this year.

Bortnick said her son liked dealing with people and had a knack for getting parts that were difficult to find. "He knew where to phone," she said.

Around 5 a.m. yesterday, *NAME REMOVED* firefighters rushed to Bumper to Bumper, 4825 50 Ave., in the town 99 km east of Edmonton.

"The interior was totally clouded with thick, black, rotten smoke," said fire chief Jerrold Lemko.

"There were a lot of explosions as the fuel and oil and cans of spray paint caught. Some of the paint cans were shooting across the roadway."

A team of firefighters went into the building to tackle the blaze, but after about five minutes they were pulled back.

"One of the big problems was that the building was clad in metal but the interior had a lot of wood," explained Lemko. "You can't get the water through the metal."

But firefighters managed to get to another part of the business and drive a grain truck and a smaller truck to safety. Three fire trucks and about 22 firefighters were involved in tackling the blaze.

Vehicles from nearby *NAME REMOVED* Mechanical were also driven to safety in case the fire spread. Lemko said the fire was under control by about 7:30 a.m. but damping-down lasted until shortly after 2 p.m.

Terry Mandrusiak, 42, was at a nearby motel when he heard the scream of fire engines that morning and went to see what was happening.

"It was just smoking," said Mandrusiak, of Edmonton, who was in *NAME REMOVED* to attend a relative's wedding.

The next day he went back to the scene. "It looked like a pile of rubble," said Mandrusiak.

*NAME REMOVED* Coun. Philip Rowe, who is also deputy mayor, said the town is devastated for the longstanding businessman. "Any loss to the community like this is a tragedy."

In April, fire engulfed a business block in *NAME REMOVED*, causing extensive damage to a physiotherapist's office, a craft store, a barber shop and a restaurant.

And in February, two part-time *NAME REMOVED* firefighters were trapped by rubble when the roof of a burning gas station in the small community fell on them.

The pair escaped the burning building seconds before it collapsed.

An investigation into the cause of yesterday's blaze at the automotive store and repair business is expected to be started today.
    September 11th - Never Forget

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
    IACOJ CRUSTY CONVENTION CHAIR
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

Forum Member

Default Happiness for you?

Whenever you roll the wheels to a job it usually involves somebody else's misery. I do not think, in a million years, the crews who turned out to the WTC, after the collapse, were wreathed in "Ear to ear grins of happiness"--you are young and no doubt very keen--this post will haunt you for a very long time to come.
    "If you thought it was hard getting into the job--wait until you have to hang the "fire gear"up and walk away!"
    Harry Lauder 1981.Me on the left!

Default What's the problem?

I truly don't understand why psycho's post is so bad. Of course, "no calls is good", but why are we firefighters? Isn't that what we're here for? I love responding to a call. I'm sorry if some of you feel that it's wrong to love jumping into your bunker gear and then racing off to someone's aid. I feel good about doing my job. I feel HAPPY when we've done a good job. I feel HAPPY when we work together and save the other buildings from becoming involved. I feel HAPPY when we save lives. Isn't that what the job is about? If not, then why are we firefighters?

Someone said that whenever we roll wheels to a job, it usually involves someone else's misery. Isn't that WHY we're rolling wheels there? To help someone? If we didn't love what we do, we wouldn't be doing it, right?

Psycho's post was harmless. She didn't mean to get everybody worked up over it. She was told to think before she posted. Maybe some of you should do the same. Please, before you think that we're a bunch of weirdos that get off on other people's misfortunes, what we are is a department of devoted firefighters who want to be there when somebody needs us. Aren't we all?

Forum Member

Default What?

No matter what anyone says here, there is not a person on these boards or in a firehouse in this country that does not like going to a fire every now and then. I think its a little unfair to jump on a young person or an old timer that like going to a "good call" every now and again and to say other wise you would be lying. Every Fireman here likes the thrill of crawling down a hall searching for the fire and the feeling we all get when we do a job well done. Lets face facts we would not do this job if we didn't like it just a little........18 years and still love the job.
    Last edited by Ltmdepas3280; 06-10-2003 at 01:11 PM.
    IACOJ Membership 2002
    {15}

Mike IAFF

The beatings will continue until the morale improves

IACOJ BOD

What's the problem?
    HEEEEEEERS Judy.
    Psychiatrists state 1 in 4 people has a mental illness.
    Look at three of your friends, if they are ok, your it.

Temporarily/No Longer Active

Isn't that what the job is about?
    Your right blaze,our job is to protect lives and property. However there are many ways to accomplish that goal. I am happy that my department has a aggressive fire prevention program,drills intensivly,has a progressive and thourugh inspection program,maintains a excellent hydrent and fire alarm system-that makes me happy.
    I undersand where Pwas comeing from, but she really should have read it back to her self. Im young too so any fire is "cool" to me too,I like Pwill find someday when it is not so fun anymore. I dont think P is arsonist,just someone who posted before engageing brain-something I can attest to myself.

I hope Psycho didn't intend to sound like a vulture! That is sure how it came across. I prefer to think that I am in the business of helping people during bad times, not waiting around for bad things to happen to people.
    IACOJ Military Division
    NM Office
    ------------------------------------
    "There are three kinds of men: The ones who learn by reading, the few who learn by observation, and the rest of them who have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."

Default WOW

I didn't think that one little post would cause so much controversy, but then again, I have been wrong before. I appreciate how quick you guys are to jump on my back fo using the wrong word. I simply meant that I would rather be going out to fight a fire and help someone than sit around and do nothing. I like helping people, helping people makes me happy, that's why I'm a firefighter. If you guys can't understand that, then I'm sorry. I may not be as articulate as some, but I don't think that my post was that hard to understand. And believe me, my age has nothing to do with it, there are guys that are three times my age that get just as excited, if not more so than me on the way to a scene. We love what we do. Doing it makes me happy. That's all that I meant.

Forum Member

Psychospitfire,
    Perhaps a better way to put it is as a BC from Buffalo, NY said, and I am paraphrasing, If someone in my area has the misfortune of needing help, I hope it is while I am on duty.
    Shawn M. Cecula
    Firefighter
    IACOJ Division of Fire and EMS

MembersZone Subscriber

I have said this before and I will say it again. The fire service is misdirected. If the fire service put as much money and effort into it's primary focus: PREVENTION, then we would truly be protecting lives and property by having a lot less fires.

There is a great deal to be said about having satisfaction about an exciting job well done. But you must remember that the most effective fire department in the world never goes to a fire. It is disgusting that the most technologically advanced country on the face of the earth has such a pitiful fire loss record; both in terms of property and life. It's very, very sad.

Forum Member

I think that psycho is a youngster.......I have 16 years in at a fairly busy suburban department in Ohio ......and I can tell you 2 things .......1 it wears on you and this post will come back to get you at somepoint..not that I dont "enjoy" my job but it is that a job and number 2 after having a fire at my own home ......with a room of origin stop I can tell you that the ensuing time since a month ago is something that our whole department is learing, what happens after we " pick up our hoses" and go home .........so it may be "cool" now ......but after thousands of calls and 16 years let me know how you like it then ?
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Forum Member

Post Happy?

Why the "happy" bit gets to me. Go to search engine--tap in-"Moorgate+tube+crash+1975". I was a E.T crew member on a 32 man watch.There were 6 "A" class E.T's in the LFB--when that train hit the end of the tunnel, on Friday Feb 28 1975 at aprox 0850 in the London rush hour--all of them were ordered on--this along with all the nearby stations appliances. Luckily I was not on duty but was on the next day at 0900. The happy bit for me was seeing that I was down for the watch as T.L operator and not part of the 8 man crew of the ET. The relief crew were duly dispatched to the accident site.On Sunday I was aproached by several of the guys riding the the ET who asked me if I would/could ride in their place--one bloke offered me 10 quid if I would "jump"for him(we were earning the princely sum of 14 quid a week).Luckily again I could refuse with good grace as I was the only TL operator. The last body was brought out on my birthday 4th March. Over the 4 days 43 bodies and numerous injured persons were rescued--do you know every fireman was "tired and very busy" not one of them was happy. Weruj1-like you I enjoyed the job, maybe if you just go for a ride and squirt water on a big bonfire,no injury, no bodies, no pain--I think I'd be happy with that. You can only take so much pain and grief before you say"Please, not again"
    "If you thought it was hard getting into the job--wait until you have to hang the "fire gear"up and walk away!"
    Harry Lauder 1981.Me on the left!

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Calling all crusties

No fewer than three large businesses have gone up in flames since February alone. It keeps us tired and busy but happy.
    So are you guys unhappy when your businesses do not "go up in flames"?

I don't need to see a lot of fire for me to be "happy". There are many other aspects of this job that keep me happy.

Let's turn this thread around.

Crusties, let's share with psycho and her friend blaze the things that make us happy on the job. I will start.

One thing that makes me happy is seeing the look on a child's face when we pull up to the school in the "big red truck" during fire prevention week.

Another is when my wife tells me that every time my son sees a fire engine he says "Daddy drive it?"
    Last edited by Duffman; 06-11-2003 at 11:35 AM.
    "We shouldn't be opening firehouses in Baghdad and closing them in New York City."

IACOJ

The best part of my job is being able to come home and forget about the junk I see at work by hanging out with my family in our wonderful big backyard. With my years in the Coast Guard and Fire Service added together, I have seen enough death and destruction to last a lifetime. Anyone who has done this type of work for any length of time has.
    IACOJ Military Division
    NM Office
    ------------------------------------
    "There are three kinds of men: The ones who learn by reading, the few who learn by observation, and the rest of them who have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."

MembersZone Subscriber

Originally posted by raven911
    The best part of my job is being able to come home and forget about the junk I see at work by hanging out with my family in our wonderful big backyard. With my years in the Coast Guard and Fire Service added together, I have seen enough death and destruction to last a lifetime. Anyone who has done this type of work for any length of time has.
    Try working Arson and occassionally Homicide in the NY Metro area for over 15 years. Never ceases to amaze me what one human can do to another.

MembersZone Subscriber

I like the looks on the kids faces across the street from the station as they see the fire truck leaving the station on a call. And I love it when I get to go home and play with my son. To me that is the best.
    AKA: Mr. Whoo-Whoo

IAFF Local 3900

IACOJ-The Crusty Glow Worm

ENGINE 302 - The Fire Rats

F.A.N.T.A.M FOOLS FTM-PTB

...so it may be "cool" now.....but after thousands of calls and 16 years let me know how you like it then?
    I hope we love it the way we do now.

Thread Information