Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Unhappy Orange County Fla--4 Die in House Fire

An early morning fire in southern Orange County Florida claimed the lives of a mother, her daughter and two children. The family members perished as thier mobile home burned to the ground. Fire Department units faced a fully involved building as they arrived.

The cause of the fire is not know at this time, but investigators indicated (According to Channel 10 11:00 PM news) that there was no battery in the smoke detector.
    09-11 .. 343 "All Gave Some..Some Gave ALL" God Bless..R.I.P.
    ------------------------------
    IACOJ Minister of Southern Comfort
    "Purple Hydrant" Recipient (3 Times)
    BMI Investigator
    The comments, opinions, and positions expressed here are mine. They are expressed respectfully, in the spirit of safety and progress. They do not reflect the opinions or positions of my employer or my department.

Post Update--ST PETERSBURG TIMES

Four in Orange County family killed in trailer fire

Associated Press, June 09, 2003 - 12:58 PM
    ORLANDO, Fla.

A grandmother, her daughter and two grandchildren died Monday when a fire swept through their trailer.

The fire in south Orange County started around 4 a.m., said Rick Rivera, a spokesman for Orange County Fire Rescue. When firefighters arrived, they found the bodies of the two women, a 3-year-old boy and an infant daughter.

Fire investigators found a melted smoke detector in the trailer, but the battery appeared to have been removed, said Paul Paterson, an investigator with the State Fire Marshal's Office.

None of the surrounding trailers suffered significant damage.

"It's remarkable," Rivera said. "The trailers were only 20 feet apart."

The family's names were not immediately released by investigators pending notification of family.

Investigators wouldn't say whether the fire appeared to be accidental or deliberately set.
    BMI Investigator
    The comments, opinions, and positions expressed here are mine. They are expressed respectfully, in the spirit of safety and progress. They do not reflect the opinions or positions of my employer or my department.

Default Local Story

ORLANDO SENTINEL

Orlando fire kills family of 4

By Pamela J. Johnson | Sentinel Staff Writer
    Posted June 10, 2003

The black smoke had gone, but the putrid smell of the pre-dawn blaze that took four lives lingered.

At midday Monday, three women draped a long bougainvillea vine over the charred frame of a burned down mobile home. Hours earlier, the blackened ruins had been the Daoust family home.

Now everything was quiet and still, except for the sound of the women's soft hymns and whispered prayers.

"Thank you, Lord God, for sharing the love of these four angels with us," Collette McGill, 40, said at the west Orlando mobile-home park. "Lord, take their souls in your hand and wash them with the blood of Jesus."

The fire took the lives of Debbie Daoust, 26; her mother, Betty Daoust, 64; her 3-year-old son, Isaiah; and her 8-month-old daughter, Destiny, nicknamed "Boo."

McGill said she typically spent the night with the Daoust family of four, all of whom perished in the 4 a.m. blaze. "I could have been here," she said, "but something inside me said, 'Don't go.' "

McGill placed pale-yellow silk roses with full blooms and a statuette of Joseph, Mary and baby Jesus next to Isaiah's tricycle, melted and mangled except for its shiny handlebars.

The day before, Isaiah had ridden the tricycle and declared to his neighbors: "I ain't no baby! I'm a big boy! Can babies do this?"

Now the rambunctious Isaiah and three other family members were gone.

The family had been living in a Pontiac, Mich., homeless shelter until a few months ago. They hoped to start a new life in Orlando's tourist industry, friends said. They stayed briefly at downtown Orlando's Coalition for the Homeless before moving into Palms Trailer Park.

State fire officials were investigating the cause of the fire. A smoke detector was found inside, but its battery was a few feet away, fire officials said.

Witnesses said Debbie Daoust was found on the sofa bed in the living room holding Destiny in her arms. Isaiah was lying at her feet. Betty Daoust, they said, was collapsed near the front door.

Although the trailer had 11/2 bedrooms, friends said the family sometimes slept in the living room to be near the air conditioning.

Standing at the trailer Monday, McGill and sisters Bertha Wright, 21, and Letha Wright, 20, said they were like family to the Daousts, who had no relatives in Florida.

Letha and Bertha Wright live in the same mobile-home park at 1610 S. Orange Blossom Trail. There are about 95 mobile homes at the park. All the trailers, including the 35-by-12 one the Daousts rented, are about 20 years old, manager George Kayat said. Rent varies from about $600 to $800 a month.

Letha Wright, McGill and Debbie Daoust worked together at a temporary agency. They lately had been cleaning a hotel on International Drive. McGill often would spend the night at the Wright home, and the three would take the early-morning bus to work.

Before the Daousts moved in, Letha and Bertha Wright lived in the same trailer that burned down, No. 35. Letha Wright said the manager promptly responded whenever there was a problem. She said there were several problems at No. 35.

"Sparks came from the air conditioning, the electric stove and the breaker box on the outside of the trailer," Letha Wright said. "We moved to another trailer because of the electrical wiring problems and because our new trailer has a porch. . . . Thanks to the Lord, we moved."

Wright added that when smoke and sparks came from what she termed a breaker box, Kayat quickly replaced it.

"There was a problem with the pigtail -- the main electrical feed," manager Kayat said, "so I put in a brand-new one."

When she lived there, Wright said, the smoke detector worked.

"They had a smoke alarm," Kayat said. "I can install it, but I can't make them set it."

Kayat said his heart fell and he started shaking when he learned that the family had died in the fire. "They were good people," he said.

Carol Gear, 35, lived next door to the Daoust family. When she went to bed at 2 a.m., the light was still on at the Daousts' home, she said. She said another neighbor called 911 after the neighbor's cat began meowing and woke her up. The neighbor looked out the window and saw the flames.

Orange County Fire-Rescue spokesman Ricardo Rivera said the blaze was "very, very heavily involved" by the time firefighters arrived.

"We attempted a rescue," he said, "but it was too late."

A week earlier, the Daousts had moved out to a hotel/apartment but moved back into the Palms on Saturday after they found problems at the hotel, friends said. Boxes were still packed in their home, and they planned to move to a better place soon, friends said.

The night before she died, Debbie Daoust chatted about her plans with Letha Wright.

"We got a long day ahead of us tomorrow," Wright said she told Daoust. "All right now, Debbie, I'll see you in the morning."

"See you in the morning," Daoust replied, holding Isaiah's hand and pushing a stroller carrying Destiny.

Pamela J. Johnson can be reached at pjohnson@orlandosentinel.com or 407-420-5171.
    Last edited by captstanm1; 06-10-2003 at 06:48 AM.
    BMI Investigator

Exclamation Update: Investigation into cause is ruled to be ARSON!

Orlando Sentinel-Associated Press

Fire that killed four family members near Orlando ruled arson

Associated Press, July 09, 2003 - 10:48 PM

ORLANDO, Fla.
    A trailer fire that killed four family members last month was arson and a murder investigation is under way, officials said Wednesday.

The fire June 9 killed a grandmother, her daughter and two grandchildren when it swept through their trailer.

The blaze, which gutted the 20-year-old rental unit at the Palms Trailer Park on South Orange Blossom Trail, was not an accident, said Lt. Norman Harris, a supervisor in the fire marshal's office.

"It was intentionally set," Harris said. "That's all we can tell you now."

But as a result of the arson ruling, Orange County sheriff's officials say they now are conducting a murder investigation. There are no suspects, sheriff's spokesman Bernie Presha told the Orlando Sentinel.

Killed in the early morning fire were Debbie Daoust, 26, son Isaiah, 3, daughter Destiny, 8 months, and Daoust's mother, Betty Daoust, 64.

------

Information from: The Orlando Sentinel, http://www.orlandosentinel.com
    BMI Investigator

Post Arson was Murder/Suicide

Authorities: Woman set fire that killed two kids, her mother

The Associated Press

ORLANDO, Fla.

A woman doused her mobile home with gasoline and set it ablaze in a murder-suicide that killed her mother and two young children four months ago, authorities said.

Debbie Daoust, 26, appeared to have intentionally locked the doors and blocked the exits with the children's toys and furnishing before setting the fire as her children and mother slept on June 9, homicide and fire investigators said Wednesday.

Daoust, 3-year-old son Isaiah and 8-month-old daughter Destiny, and her mother, Betty Daoust, 64, all died in the fire. It was ruled an arson in July.

Witnesses had said Debbie Daoust had been found on a sofa bed in the living room holding Destiny in her arms. At her feet lay Isaiah, while her mother had collapsed near the front door.

"Both of the doors were secured from the inside," said Orange County sheriff's Sgt. John Allen. "One door was secured with a pin lock, and the other one had household items and toys and stuff upon them so nobody could have gotten out either door."

The young mother committed the arson because of "financial" and "medical" reasons, authorities said.

Allen said he did not want to give specifics about Debbie Daoust's possible motives because the investigation is still ongoing.

The Daousts moved to Orange County from a homeless shelter in Pontiac, Mich., earlier this year and briefly stayed at the Coalition for the Homeless in Orlando. The family had lived at the Palms Trailer Park for about three months.

Debbie Daoust had worked for a temporary agency and had been a housekeeper at an International Drive-area hotel.

---

Information from: The Orlando Sentinel,
    BMI Investigator

Thread Information