Thread: MI Employment

MembersZone Subscriber

Default MI Employment

I am looking for a part time job while I attend paramedic school in Ann Arbor this Fall. I am currently a IFSAC FF II, Alaska EMT II, and Haz Mat Tech. I also have a AAS Degree in Municipal Fire Control and a degree in Public Safety as well as 3 yr volunteer/ 1 yr paid experience. If anyone could help, that would be great.
    Last edited by Pobrislo; 06-10-2003 at 10:58 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

It would be great to get a part time fire job. But I would recommend you look at a private security company. They are always hiring! I have 10 years of security experiance as well as 7 years with a full-time fire department.

I am 3/4 through with paramedic school now (in clinicals and finish the end of July). I am being put through by the department and receiving my wages, yet had to put my business on hold due to time constraints with class and the endless hours of studying (get ready). I found myself going back to security part-time.

The benefits: They often hire EMT's and pay you more. They also are usually very flexible with your schedule. This really helps when clinicals come along and the schedule gets really chaotic. Another benefit is that you can often request a quiet post. This allows you to study while getting paid!

Take a look at what they have to offer. Pay here is Utah is not the greatest but not bad and helps out. (around $8-$12/hr.)

Good luck.
    Firefighter/Paramedic Ron Sanders
    Midvale Fire Department
    Medic Ambulance 22 - A Platoon

Firefighters, Walking where the Devil Danced!

This is simply my opinion and does not represent the opinion or view of my employer(s) or any department/agency to which I belong.

Personal Website: http://RonSanders.Biz Check it Out!

MembersZone Subscriber

Pobrislo;
    If you are stuck on Ann Arbor I can't help you, but if you could find your class in the Flint area I might be of some use.
    John Leadley
    jleadley@comcast.net
    Vintage Firefighter:
    "The older I get the braver I was!"

There are several volly depts. in the Ann Arbor area.

Try Ann Arbor Township. They train a lot, you'll get a bunch of certs through them, and I believe they are looking for volunteers right now. They pay about 12 bucks an hour for runs, and about 7 bucks an hour for training. They also have occasional shifts available for volunteers.

There is a private ambulance company in town (www.hva.org), but I don't know if they're taking apps right now.

There are also a couple of FDs in the Detroit area that have part time firefighters, but I know some people trying to get in, and they're telling me they're not hiring right now.

I'm sure you'll be able to find something. If Ann Arbor Township isn't taking apps, they'll give you the number for someone who is.

Let me know if you have any other questions, and good luck with medic school.
    Last edited by fergus; 03-08-2010 at 01:25 AM.

Thread Information