Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Just got my first leather fire boots

Just got my first leather fire boots. Department issued me a pair of LaCrosse FireTechs.

How much do leather boots in general "break-in" (so to speak)? I'm not sure if I like the way they feel, but then again I'm used to over 11 years of wearing rubber boots. I'm wearing the leathers now trying to break them in and it appears that they are starting to feel better.

And for the brainiacs who offer such good arguments such as "Pro Warrington's are the best" and don't say anything else, save your breath.
    IACOJ Agitator
    Fightin' Da Man Since '78!

Hey Adze, when you're done with them, have them bronzed and hang them from your rearview mirror.

I know what you mean, tough to get into and out of, compared to rubber. I wasn't sold too quick but now, I wouldn't go back...they'll grow on you.

MembersZone Subscriber fallujahff's Avatar

Took me a couple of "wet" calls to get them in right. When I first got them, I was downright alarmed at how bad they felt! After they broke in though---mmm now I would never go back. They're more comfortable than slippers!

Give em a little time ADZE, they will definately prove themselves to you!
    "When you are safe at home, you wish you were having an adventure-when you're having an adventure, you wish you were safe at home"

--Thornton Wilder

55 Years & Still Rolling hwoods's Avatar
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Talking AWRIGHT!!

More good news (I think) My lovely bride just advised that my fathers day present would be a pair of Pro boots (everyone here uses Pros for some reason) I have spent my whole 45 year career in rubber, Rangers for the last 25, so this will be new for me also. Big question for Bro. Adze, did you get the pull on or the side zipper style?? Stay Safe....
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

The disadvantage of leather fire boots: they are not as easy to get into as the rubber ones.

The advantages: they are incredibly comfortable! I wore mine around the house for a few days prior to bringing them into the station to "break them in". I could not go back to rubber boots for duty wear!

I wear cow on my head, cow on my feet, they are comfy and look really really neat!
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

hwoods: They are 14" pull ups.

Gonzo: nice last line...you're a poet and didn't even know it!
    IACOJ Agitator
    Fightin' Da Man Since '78!

Adze...they will break in rather quickly...especially after you get them wet a few times. Some of the folks I used to work with used one of the "boot remover things" to get them off. In fact, PRO used to give everyone one of them because it kept people from standing on the heal and pulling, which caused the liner to pull loose.

As E229Lt says....you will never go back. So much more comfortable and allow you to do so much more in relation to time working even though they are not that much lighter than the rubber... They are so much more user friendly....

Hwoods.....you should tell her to delay and get a pair of the traditon 14" boots.... They are similar to the HAIX boot, but much better, more comfortable and will outperform Pro, laCrosse fire techs etc...

www.fireboot.com
    09-11 .. 343 "All Gave Some..Some Gave ALL" God Bless..R.I.P.
    ------------------------------
    IACOJ Minister of Southern Comfort
    "Purple Hydrant" Recipient (3 Times)
    BMI Investigator
    ------------------------------
    The comments, opinions, and positions expressed here are mine. They are expressed respectfully, in the spirit of safety and progress. They do not reflect the opinions or positions of my employer or my department.

Why? It's not like you're going to visit me! But I'm near Waco, Texas

i get my leather boots next week, fed ex be willing. can't wait for them. i'm getting the thorogood 14 inch pull ons. was only given certain amount to spend on gear and boots.
    NREMT-P\ Reserve Volunteer Firefighter\Reserve Police Officer
    IACOJ Attack

Experts built the Titanic, amateurs built the Ark.

Niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice!

Leather boots are the best. I bought my own pair about 3 years ago and it was the best investment I've ever made. I wear rubber boots in my other department and when I work at the training center, and I can't stand them compared to my leathers. I only wish I had money to by another 2 pairs. Good luck with them, you're gonna love them.

I wear Black Diamonds as do most guys in my department that have purchased their own boots.

Default Congratulations !!!!!

Welcome to a life of comfort!
    I have had my Rangers for about 5 years now. Just got a pair of Lacross 14" pull-ons last year. Just can't beat a good pair of leathers!
    It will take a couple times wearing them to break them in.
    "where is my second due?"
    I.A.C.O.J. 2003

55 Years & Still Rolling hwoods's Avatar
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Talking 2 Quick Responses..............

In response to 2 items above:

Capt. Stan, Thanks, I'll look into your idea

Capt. Gonzo, Being an old farm boy, I can send you anudder part of a cow for your chapeau. Stay Safe....
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Like Ryan, I have the thorogood boots. I absolutely love them. One or two wettings and they feel great. I don't think you will be going back to rubber.
    "We shouldn't be opening firehouses in Baghdad and closing them in New York City."

IACOJ

Adze,
    Thanks for the post I also just got my Servus "Firebreakers" last night they are 14" pull ons, and when I tried them on late last night they were tight. I havea a question about sizing ......I ordered the same size as my tennis shoe. I have worn then around work today some and they do seem to loosen up a little. I have noticed that the heel of one boot rubs against my achillies tendon. hmmmmmmmm what else did I want to ask ..........oh yes any tips on getting feet in and out ? I did notice that it is much more difficult ......and dont want to damage the liner, and are they better more snug than loose ?
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Forum Member

Thumbs up

Had mine a few weeks now and I have noticed that they have stretched just a bit from a wee tight in the sides of the arches and toes to almost perfect. I also found that as they break in that they have a little wiggle at the heel in one, that the guys have said is best cured by a wool or Goretex socks or a few good wet/dry cycles. (I have one 10.5 foot one 11, go figure, nothing a nice pair of thick socks doesn't cure.)Over all they feel pretty much like I am wearing my Thorogood station boots under my bunkers and the added agility and lessened weight is a huge benefit. A few guys also added a pair of those Dr Shoals gel pads in their boots, I guess some of them (Warringtons?) have a pretty solid sole without much padding?
    The only negatives I have heard is the afore mentioned tightness when getting into them (which in older boots lead to tearing of the inner fabric in the heel area), and that the outer toes get eaten up pretty fast which some guys lessened by more duckwalking then crawling.

Rubber boots are great for fishing and my hip boots are awesome for flooded basements but I won't give up these leather boots or my moo-dome for the daily jobs.
    Proud to be an American, Union Firefighter!

Just got my first leather fire boots. Department issued me a pair of LaCrosse FireTechs.
    We're having problems with our LaCrosse boots. The liners keep pulling out and/or wadding up. One of our distributors is replacing some of ours. One of our guys almost wasn't able to get his off after a call the other night, due to the liner wadding up around his ankle as he was pulling them off. A couple of guys had to help him get his feet out.

Forum Member

I have owned & used Thorogood 14" pull on boots in my volunteer department for about 3 years now. I LOVE THEM! They started out just a tiny bit small, but now feel better then my gym shoes do. I've put them through hell and they look like they just came off the shelf, minus some toe cap scuffing. That is unavoidable though.
    I keep pushing the job to allow leather boots, but so far no luck. They have various reasons.

You'll never go back to the rubbers by choice!
    *Mark
    FTM-PTB-RFB-EGH

I just go a pair as well. WOW! The first call I went on with them with no breaking-in it felt like I was walking on clouds instead of concrete with cinder blocks tied to my feet.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Why? It's not like you're going to visit me! But I'm near Waco, Texas

Mine came in friday and OMG how the heck could I have used rubber boots for ten years. I have learned the errors of my way.
    NREMT-P\ Reserve Volunteer Firefighter\Reserve Police Officer
    IACOJ Attack

Experts built the Titanic, amateurs built the Ark.

well how are they workin out ? anyone have any trouble ? break in issues ? anyone tried to get them wet to see if they have gotten better ?
    Last edited by Weruj1; 07-05-2003 at 12:13 AM.
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

The only problem I have with my Thorogoods, is that I cant ever get the shoe laces right, anyone know anywhere on the internet where I can find different ways to lace the boots up, I don't like the way they are laced right now, I have seen the way the Rangers lace up and I wouldnt mind figuring out how there laced up. Oh well! Thats the only complaints I have about mine but it probably isnt a problem to others.

Well also another thing here, The padding in the bottom of the boots is wearing out I have a hole in mine where it went through the padding, I guess one of these days I will get some paddings in them.
    Ryan

I.A.C.O.J. Probie

You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You must do the thing which you think you cannot do. -Eleanor Roosevelt

Lets not forget those lost on 9-11-01

Thread Information