Thread: Just for kicks

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Just for kicks

I thought we could use a new thread and came up with.....
    Which departments took advantage of and applied for the FIRE ACT Grants? And what are you going to use the grant money for.

I thought this could bring up some good conversation. Take care everyone.

www.eriefpd.com

Forum Member

Default Were in the money, Were in the money

When we returned to the firehouse from a MVA call this morning at 3AM there was a message from US Rep. Ray LaHood on the answering machine. He had called to congradulate us for receiving a FIRE grant. I have not received any notice from FEMA confirming it but it must be true. If its a practical joke someones head will roll over this! Hope everyone elses department is also on the list when it is announced today.
    Proudly serving as Vice-President of the Illinois Delegation of the IACOJ

MembersZone Subscriber
    finally getting ready to start the new station

Congrads. There is a state by state list on the USFA website.
    http://www.usfa.fema.gov/inside-usfa/03awards.cfm
    Every silver lining's got a touch of grey...I wiilll get by....

Proud to be IACOJ Flatlander Division

MembersZone Subscriber

DuBois, IL - just south of I-64 in the middle of the state

Congratulations, 80. I looked at the list. My name's not on it. Maybe next time, or the one after that, or the one after that, or.....
    Jack Boczek, Chief
    Ashley Community Fire Protection District

FLATLANDERS FOREVER!

Thumbs up

80FIRE Congratulations

Forum Member

Congrats 80.....

Has anyone gotten the "Dear Chief/Dept." letters yet. We haven't gotten one yet so we're guessing we're still in the going.

code_blue81
    Jeremy Culver
    IACOJ Bureau of EMS

These views are my own and do not represent the views or opinions of anyambulance service that I am affiliated with.

Help our fellow firefighters.
    www.helpingourown.com
    "Firefighters Helping Firefighters"

MembersZone Subscriber

codeblue, I think I remember reading that the first rejection letters would go out in July/August.
    I see we've got a newbie on the forum. Cacfpd11, go to the What's Your Story thread and introduce yourself. Glad to have another of the boyz from illinoisss to give a little input.
    Jack Boczek, Chief

FLATLANDERS FOREVER!

MembersZone Subscriber

Yogi, guess we're not really answering your question. We've applied for about $125,000 for new SCBA & spare bottles for everybody (25 total) and a computer and projector. We have 2 stations, 3 engines and 2 trucks so we need to have that many SCBA so all of our district is covered and all the trucks have at least 4 SCBA on them, trucks get 6. We tried for an engine the last 2 times before I found out that we alread had 3 (even though they're OLD) and that knocked us out in the computer grading. Maybe we'll get something this year.
    Jack Boczek, Chief

FLATLANDERS FOREVER!

Forum Member

Default Thanks Everyone

Thanks for your replies everyone. It was quite a shock, I had hoped we would get funded this year. But had no idea it would be in the first round. We had to wait until late December for our "dear john" letter last year.

I have not answered yogi's question either. Our grant was for a breathing air compressor, cascade system and fill station. Also included is a computer and training material and CD's.

I think the new MABAS division may have been a major help for this year. Our request was about the same as last year just tried to improve the narrative and cost vs benifit parts this year. We really stressed MABAS in our application this year.

Best of luck to the rest of you flatlanders, I have my fingers crossed for you!

MembersZone Subscriber

Cool

We have not heard anything yet either. We put in for money for a new brush truck. Not sure if we have a chance or not. But we can only hope.
    We did win last year! We are getting new scba's (14), spare bottles (12), cascade on our rescue and in the station, and a fill station. We have yet to get any of this though. We ordered it all in Jan. I believe it was, but you know how it is, New York, and Boston all ordered after us and then got moved in front of us and Chicago had ordered prior to us. We are told that the packs will be shipped from the factory in mid July. Good luck everyone and congratulations to those that have already won.

Lightbulb My story?

Why I have hundreds of stories that I could tell you, but lets try a few facts instead.

I am the ***-T Chief just down the road from 80FIRE. Our district is all volunteer, with 2 stations.

My money making job is installing TV transmitters, why you may have seen some of my work.

Forum Member

Out here in my town's service, the Hopkinton Fire Department, has 2 stations, both without emergency power generators. We put in for $60,000 for generators & accessories. Now what's funny was the powers that be knew the deadline was in April and did nothing about it. The chief came in that Friday morning and told us there was a federal grant that needed to be written.... THAT DAY! Ok, my partner & I knew nothing about grants, so we learned quickly that day on our own, got it in and are now waiting. We'll see, and I'll let ya know!

~Kevin
    FF/Paramedic

MembersZone Subscriber
    finally getting ready to start the new station

Back to the original question. We put in for compressor-cascade-fillstation for the new SCBAS we got with last years grant. Also, SCBAs, computer and portable pump for our Kent station, combination accountability, disaster command, triage board, foam nozzles for both stations and continuation of wellness exams for both stations. We stressed the equipment can be shared with our county MABAS as well as the the 2 neighboring MABAS divisions. We also pointed out the fact that the SCBAs and fill station fit in with the terrorism equipment concept. We shall see if our narrative is good enough 2 years in a row. I just hope we don't have to wait til December again this year.
    Every silver lining's got a touch of grey...I wiilll get by....

Proud to be IACOJ Flatlander Division

Forum Member

Default Welcome cacfpd11

Yes cacfpd is from my area. They are our mutual aid department from the west and members of MABAS 44. Welcome Bob, nice to see you join us on the flatlander page. Maybe we will see him in Springfield Friday too.

Forum Member

Default I guess I can throw in

WE, the Farina VFD, applied for 35 sets of turnouts and helmets (90% of our equipment isn't OSHA compliant), 25 new MSA airpacks, new cascade and fill station to be used for mutual aid, hand tools and a thermal imager. The idea is to hopefully get the grant and sell our older cascade and fill station to pay for a set of either airbags or to put towards a new rescue pumper.

Good Luck everyone!!

code_blue81
    Jeremy Culver
    IACOJ Bureau of EMS

These views are my own and do not represent the views or opinions of anyambulance service that I am affiliated with.

Help our fellow firefighters.
    www.helpingourown.com
    "Firefighters Helping Firefighters"

Thread Information