Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber ullrichk's Avatar

Post A quiz for the truckies . . .

I was looking at a vendor's catalog which had a couple of hooks that I had never seen before, and some which I have, but with different names.

New to me was one that looked like a standard pike with a sawtooth back for cutting drywall. I had heard of an EK hook, but had not seen one until now. Then there was the arson hook - which I always called a trash hook.

So how many pike pole variations are out there? How many names for each?

Extra points for inventor's names and histories!
    ullrichk
    a.k.a.
    perfesser

a ship in a harbor is safe. . . but that's not what ships are for

Is it a TurboJet nozzle.......Oh wait a minute I'm not a truckie
    AKA: Mr. Whoo-Whoo

IAFF Local 3900

IACOJ-The Crusty Glow Worm

ENGINE 302 - The Fire Rats

F.A.N.T.A.M FOOLS FTM-PTB

Why? It's not like you're going to visit me! But I'm near Waco, Texas

is it for right handed truckies or left handed truckies?
    NREMT-P\ Reserve Volunteer Firefighter\Reserve Police Officer
    IACOJ Attack

Experts built the Titanic, amateurs built the Ark.

At least it's not like the ff on the engine co who saw the San Fran hook and said, "Oh look, it's got a pistol grip!"

ff7134 - you must be one of those little wet speed bumps in the hallway then
    ullrichk
    a.k.a.
    perfesser

MembersZone Subscriber

Their is the National pike pole (the one you see everywhere), then is the Plaster hook (a point with two wings that come out to help you pull lath and plaster) The Chicago pike pole is a modified national pike with the hook bent at almost a 90 to the pole. The new York pike is a beefed up version of the national pike.
    Their is a San Francisco pike that is similar to the Chicago pike. The halligan hook and roofman's tools are popular in NY
    their is also a Drywall hook, EK hook, Boston Rake, Clemens hook, LA trash hook, Gatorback hook (the one you described), the dragonslayer and I'm sure I missed some.

Watch the tools of the trade Video or get the book. Some poles are better, like the halligan hook others are very purpose driven and aren't good overall tools. Next aquired structure play with some of them because if you aren't good at overhaul a special tool will not help much.

Who cares what it's called...it doesn't do any good unless you have somebody there who knows how to use it! As they say here in the Seattle of the Northeast, New England (lots and lots of rain rain rain lately! )

I need a Jake with a Rake!
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

All we carry is the garden variety national standard pike so I can't practice with what I don't have!

I'm thinking about requisitioning a trash hook a.k.a. arson hook a.k.a. LA hook to try out in training. I can't ask for a tool I don't know exists or that our vendors call by some other name.

Anything work better than the standard pike on 1/4" gypsum over 1-by T&G? That's the most frequent overhaul "obstacle" in construction in my area. Absolutely no plaster and lath.

And is the Boston rake the tool with an open P-shaped profile (for lack of a better description)? What are its strong points?
    ullrichk
    a.k.a.
    perfesser

MembersZone Subscriber

The Boston rake is a "raking" tool designed to pull heavy plaster and lath. It works well for baseboards and trim also.
    To use it you throw it into the material then work the stud / joist and a lot of stuff will come down. It doesn't work well in regular drywall.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Default A quiz for the truckies . . .

In Los Angeles City, they are called "rubbish hook" and "pike pole".
    The "pike pole" is used for interior ceiling pulling, and the rubbish
    hook is primarily used for roof operations ie: sounding the roof, pulling roofing material from the cut that was made, and for separation of rubbish or other material. Also both tools work great at keeping wild , mean dogs at bay.
    just a dumb truckie

Thread Information