Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Forum Member

Default Department Issued Gear/Equipment

I searched and did not find...

What are you issued when you join your department? Are you issued turnouts? A pager? PLectron or something like it?

Just curious. I know a lot of departments give their juniors nothing and I am just curious what you get?

We all get turnout gear (bunker pants, coats, helmets, gloves etc.) Also two foldable spanners a seat belt cutter and other various items. Some of us have window punches and stuff also.
    We are all also issued pagers mostly Minitor II's, and Plectrons if we got them available. Most of us also have individual gear lockers at the back of the truck bays.

Some of us also get special things such as keys and stuff. Keys for specific things such as the Laptop/Camera Compartment on our rescue truck sorta stuff.

Just curious what do you get? And incase you do, do you have to share any of it?
    Firefighter/EMT Mitch Cowen
    Hose Co. 1 1st Lieutenant
    Randolph Fire Co. Inc

We don't have to share, but we get, a full set of turnouts, helmet,boots,gloves,hood,etc, a explorer shirt, a SOG book for the explorers, and a hat. Thats all, alot of us have gotten some tools, like spanner wrenches and the like but we are a city dept. and do not need pagers.
    No longer an explorer, but I didn't wanna lose my posts.

IACOJ 2003

Temporarily/No Longer Active dfdex1's Avatar

DEPARTMENT ISSUED GEAR?!?!?!?!?
    Last edited by dfdex1; 06-27-2003 at 12:17 PM.

Forum Member

I take that as you dont get any gear from your department?
    Randolph Fire Co. Inc

The only way a junior in my department can have turnout gear is if it is given to them. The department will not issue you gear until you are 18. Quick question for you though rfcmitch. Why do yall get issued spanner wrenches??? Don't yall keep them on your trucks. Even if you are the first to the scene what can you do with a spanner wrench??? Last time I checked you dont get to bring the fire truck home with you. And the same thing with seatbelt cutters, shouldnt those be on the trucks too??? Yea you might be the first to the scene of a wreck, but unless you plan of immobilizing the patient there is no reason to cut their seatbelt. And if you carry immobilization equipment in your vehicle then I think your going a little overboard. Not trying to put down on you or anything just wondering why you would have your own personal set.
    LADIES LOVE ME.
    FLAMES FEAR ME.

"I PLEDGE ALLEGIANCE TO THIS FLAG, IF THAT BOTHERS YOU WELL THATS TOO BAD!" AARON TIPPIN

If you wish to burn our flag please remember to wrap yourself in it first!!!

ALL SOUTHERNERS ARE EXEMPT FROM ANY AND ALL OF MY YANKEE COMMENTS ON ANY AND ALL FORUMS.

THE SOUTH WILL RISE AGAIN!!!

Originally posted by rfcmitch
    I take that as you dont get any gear from your department?
    Gear,training,respect,etc..... ...

we get turnouts,gloves,hoods, helmets.... we are going to have an explorer pager, and each week until our 6 month probationary period is over (than we all get one??) that we will hand off each week... and thats it. not everyone is as special as you rfcmitch
    I havent failed, I've found 10,000 ways that don't work.

- Thomas Edison

We get full trun out gear. For 10 bucks you can get a gear bag issued to you. a patch for our shirts(shirts,pants,boots all you must buy) When you are allowed to the fire ground you get a pager and a spanner(the plastic 1s). most of the other explorers includeing me have added things(knifes,safty glasses,flash lights,ect.) to our gear that we have been issued.

HNFC FF/President mdoddsjffhnfc's Avatar

all the usual stuff, full turnouts with a Cairns 1010 full faceshield. Minitor II's right now which will soon be retired, meaning we will be gettin III's.

We also have Class B Work and Class A Dress Uniforms with the badge. Since i'm in a company with only 20 members, the 5 juniors we have are highly counted on. We do our job well and as my Chief Engineer/President stated "The Backbone of the Company"
    Firefighter, Volunteering since Oct 2001

CCFA 05-04, best overall class for 2005
    "GOOD GAME!"

Temporarily/No Longer Active EoneTiller's Avatar

we get issued full turnout gear, gloves, hood, helmet,boots, earplugs.we also get a class B uniform, 2 t-shirts with fd logo, patch, minitor II pager, alpha numeric pager.

Forum Member

Easy questions... convienence! You have 200 feet of hose stretched and the nozzle is leaking and you got it as tight as you can. Now you have two hydrants wrenches and dont have to walk back to the truck to get them, you have them. Its just nice to have some of the stuff with you.

Seatbelt cutters... we all have them and for the same reason. So we dont have to walk to get them, we have them on us. Its pretty simple. Around here in the country, we can be pretty far from our trucks for fires, car accidents and its just nice to carry some "necessities" with you. Some of us also have window punches even though I hate them.

Carrying some of this little stuff with you can save you some walking. And on a sunny day in mid August, the more I dont have to move the better.

Thats why we carry spanners and seat belt cutters. I would advise that you should carry some of the stuff too. I mean no we dont do anything before the company arrives anyways, but when they do we are prepared. Thats what the job is all about is being prepared for the worst, and I feel confident that I am prepared for anything I will be doing in the next few years.
    Randolph Fire Co. Inc

Originally posted by rfcmitch
    Easy questions... convienence! You have 200 feet of hose stretched and the nozzle is leaking and you got it as tight as you can. Now you have two hydrants wrenches and dont have to walk back to the truck to get them, you have them. Its just nice to have some of the stuff with you.

Seatbelt cutters... we all have them and for the same reason. So we dont have to walk to get them, we have them on us. Its pretty simple. Around here in the country, we can be pretty far from our trucks for fires, car accidents and its just nice to carry some "necessities" with you. Some of us also have window punches even though I hate them.

Carrying some of this little stuff with you can save you some walking. And on a sunny day in mid August, the more I dont have to move the better.

Thats why we carry spanners and seat belt cutters. I would advise that you should carry some of the stuff too. I mean no we dont do anything before the company arrives anyways, but when they do we are prepared. Thats what the job is all about is being prepared for the worst, and I feel confident that I am prepared for anything I will be doing in the next few years.
    Well said Mitch! Matt what if you came upon a car that just drove into the river and has people inside,gee that window punch sounds kinda nice now dont it? I agree that is nice to carry somethings in your gear that make your life easier.Every ff I know carrys something in there gear----those pockets aint just for show!

i have the res-Q-rench, greatest thing ever has a seatbelt cutter,window punch, spanner wrench, gas shut off, and pry tool!

what i carry in my pockets is, res-Q-rench,knife,ear plugs, hood,window punch,gloves,golf ball, have a streamlight on my jacket, camera, rubber gloves.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Forum Member

Default I lose things...

Now it may be convienent for some to have it as what I will call a Combi-Tool (not to be confused with the wildland firefighting equipment). But for me it would be bad. I would probably lose the res-Q-rench and then I would have nothing? Not to mention, sometimes people will misplace things and I will lend out a spanner or something and then again I would have nothing?

So what is the major benefit of the Res-Q-Rench? Because its all one? Kind of like a All-In-One printer. Ya know the ones with printer/fax/copiers? When one goes bad the whole things worthless. So when you lose your "spanner" you also lost your seatbelt cutter, window punch, and gas shut off? Which means I have to walk to the truck to get something.

I think I will stick with a pocket full of tools. Unless I can be convinced...?
    Last edited by rfcmitch; 06-17-2003 at 10:08 PM.
    Randolph Fire Co. Inc

Forum Member

When you join you are issued a Pager/Charger, Class A Uniform, Couple of dept. T shirts, A Badge and an ID Card.

After your 6 month probationary period you are issued Turnout gear at the Chiefs Discretion (meaning you could lose it and your privilige of going on calls at any time, If you you become reckless or don't obey orders ) My gear right now is 1 year old Securitex PBI with a Cairns Metro Helmet, Ranger fire walker boots and fire dex hood and gloves.

In addition I have an Underwater Kinetics helmet light, seatbelt cutter window punch, glove strap, folding spanner wrench and rubber gloves and Cpr mask. In My pockets all of which is dept. issued.

EoneTiller--i have the res-Q-rench, greatest thing ever has a seatbelt cutter,window punch, spanner wrench, gas shut off, and pry tool!
    Whats the golf ball for? just in case you get bored at the scene?
    I havent failed, I've found 10,000 ways that don't work.

- Thomas Edison

Default FOREEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!

Originally poster by WannabeintheFD
    Whats the golf ball for? just in case you get bored at the scene?

yes of course you know maybe i want to go for a round of golf during the "big one".i think it was wfdjr1 or someone that said they carried a golf ball because when doing an interior search u can roll it and u can hear it hit a wall so u know where your going, and also to ventilate a window where there may be a possible flash over or backdraft occuring.
    Last edited by EoneTiller; 06-18-2003 at 04:40 PM.

rfcmitch and EOneTiller - great answers.

One more thing to add to pockets, a good heavy duty pair of wire cutters. Drop ceilings will be a killer if you working near one that has collapsed.

Waynesboro, VA, possibly relocating to Virginia Beach in the near future!

I've been taught to keep your self-rescue tools (wire cutters, utility knife, etc.) in your right coat pocket, so you can get to them easier with an airpack on without the regulator getting in the way.
    These are my opinions, not those of my career department, my volunteer company, or my affiliates. And by the way, I'm not a Junior.

Buy me a drink, sing me a song, take me as I come 'cause I can't stay long.

Johnny Greene: 2/3/45-5/2/04
    Forever in our hearts

Also most people are predominately Right handed. Plu the Regulator issue is only if you have a regualtor on that side. Mine is in the back of the Pack.
    AKA: Mr. Whoo-Whoo

IAFF Local 3900

IACOJ-The Crusty Glow Worm

ENGINE 302 - The Fire Rats

F.A.N.T.A.M FOOLS FTM-PTB

Thread Information