View Poll Results: Which Cairns leather helmet is better?

Voters
72. You may not vote on this poll
  • Cairns N5A New Yorker

46 63.89%
  • Cairns N6A Sam Houston

26 36.11%
    Forum Member

Default Cairns N5A vs N6A

I'm sure this has been discussed before, but when i did the search, I couldn't find it in the first two pages. I'm looking into getting a Cairns leather helmet, either a New Yorker or a Sam Houston. which ever one i get will have goggles and burke eyeshields.

I know the New Yorker is only OSHA approved while the Houston is NFPA approved. Aside from that, anyone have a preferance as to which one i should get? and for what reason (more comfortable, better protection, looks cooler, etc)

Dan
    FF/EMT

IACOJ Agitator

Default Re: Cairns N5A vs N6A

Originally posted by DrParasite
    more comfortable, better protection, looks cooler
    Well, if they both have goggles and bourkes, then they will look the same.

As far as better protection, the Sam Houston has more protection in the impact shell (to meet the NFPA requirements).

As far as weight goes, there does not seem to be too much difference (if any) in the weight of the new N5A's and N6A's.

Check with your department to make sure you don't have to have an NFPA approved helmet. If you do, that will eliminate the N5A.
    IACOJ Agitator
    Fightin' Da Man Since '78!

Forum Member

I just bought a new Phenix leather lid and I love it. It sits lower on my head then the Cairns' and it seems to weigh a bit less and it is NFPA, Cal-OSHA and OSHA acceptable. The other nice feature that it came with was a price tag of almost $100 LESS then the Cairns' products.

Bottom line: Shop around, try them on, make sure your department allows non-NFPA gear,etc. and most importantly, whatever you buy, wear it properly.
    Proud to be an American, Union Firefighter!

Forum Member
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

It's really quite simple. If your department requires NFPA turnout gear you must choose the N6A1 Sam Houston over the N5A New Yorker. The Sammy is NFPA the New Yprker is OSHA only.

There are of course other choices...Paul Conway to name one.

I have an old standard N5 New Yorker, no impact cap. Man that was a sweet helmet. Light weight and made to specifically fit my big melon head. Of course now it has a place of respect on my wall.

I now own an N6A Sam Houston. It is NFPA. It has the ratchet headband and impact cap. I am sure it offers more protection thatn the old N5. And fully knowing I will raise the rath of the die hard leather fans...it is just plain heavy. I use it, I like it, but man it comes off my head as soon as I can get it off at a scene.

Good luck on your decision...make sure whatever you get you keep it clean and touch up the paint as needed.

FyredUp

Forum Member

Exclamation Leather is nice (on a wall)

Think about it!!!!!
    Leather is nice has alot of tradition behind it, BUT IS IT THE BEST PROTECTION, you can get? Look out of your melon, do some research, don't go with leather just because Tom, Dick, and Harriet did. I was just ohhhhing and ahhhhing over a nice leather with some real history behind it, and wished I could afford it, for my wall, not for my melon protection, it isn't the best one god issued, (my melon that is) but its mine and I wanna keep it at least relatively the way it is.
    There are some new materials, shapes, etc. that have some great advantages, the helmet is there to protect you, looking good, and heritage are nice BUT PROTECTION is #1. Good luck with your purchase whatever you decide.

Be safe out there, protect yourself, your buddy, then the rest of the world. God Bless our fallen brothers and sisters, and grant his peace to their loved ones.

Forum Member

Default Whats the difference.

Exactly what is the difference between a sammy and a yorker.Other than the osha and nfpa standards.

MembersZone Subscriber

Last edited by ehs7554; 01-27-2012 at 09:45 AM.

Forum Member

N5A is lighter. That or the 5A is the way to go. Most of the guys on the job around here wear them. Don't listen to the NFPA police.

Forum Member

I have both lids.

My lid of preference is the N5A.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

MembersZone Subscriber

I have owned a 5A, N5A and a N6A. Out of those I prefer the 5A but its retired now.

Between the N5A and the N6A I prefer the N5A.

Cairns helmets are not all the great anymore. You might try to shop around for a pre 2000(MSA) helmet. They are built a lot better.
    "Train as if your life depends on it"
    Always Remember *343*

My New Yorker got issued to me in my old Volunteer Dept. When I moved out of State to go Career they told me to keep it. I like it alot probably because I've had it so long. I think it provides good protection,I've been knocked in the head a few times and there dosen't appear to be any lasting damage, although my wife would probably argue that point.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by cdemarse View Post
    I have owned a 5A, N5A and a N6A. Out of those I prefer the 5A but its retired now.

Between the N5A and the N6A I prefer the N5A.

Cairns helmets are not all the great anymore. You might try to shop around for a pre 2000(MSA) helmet. They are built a lot better.
    Or you can buy a natural and paint it yourself. That seemed to work good for me.

Forum Member

[QUOTE=FiRsqDvr45;340813]I just bought a new Phenix leather lid and I love it. It sits lower on my head then the Cairns' and it seems to weigh a bit less and it is NFPA, Cal-OSHA and OSHA acceptable. The other nice feature that it came with was a price tag of almost $100 LESS then the Cairns' products.[QUOTE]

22 ounces less than an N6A to be exact.

I have worn both pre-MSA and post-MSA Cairns leathers. My Phenix TL-2 is by far the best, most comfortable leather I have owned! When I retire, I will be wearing a Phenix lid!
    Fire Lieutenant/E.M.T.
    IAFF Local 2339
    K of C 4th Degree
    "LEATHER FOREVER"
    Member I.A.C.O.J.
    http://www.tfdfire.com/
    "Fir na tine"

Forum Member

Phenix is junk. Talk to me in 6 years when the guts turn to junk and break. It has happened to most of the guys on the job here that wear that junk of a helmet.

Mine lasted 2 years before the suspension had to be replaced. Instead of fixing it, I bought an N5A and have never been happier.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by fyerman6 View Post
    Exactly what is the difference between a sammy and a yorker.Other than the osha and nfpa standards.
    If you go to the Cairns website you can compare the 2 and find the differences between them.

In reality it is a moot point anyways. If your FD requires your turn outs to be NFPA you, in order to be in compliance with YOUR FD's regs, must buy the N6A Sam Houston. If it doesn't require NFPA try them both on at a dealer and buy the one you like.

I am sure MassFireGuy is salivating over waiting to call me the NFPA police, frankly I don't care what the NFPA says. BUT, I do CARE about what MY FD says. If they have adopted the NFPA standards, or OSHA standards for PPE then THEY have set the standard and it is to my benefit to be in compliance with MY FD's standards.

Or you can choose to totally disregard them and play the odds. I know what I will do and you can do what you wish knowing the full story.

Be safe either way.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FyredUp View Post
    If you go to the Cairns website you can compare the 2 and find the differences between them.

In reality it is a moot point anyways. If your FD requires your turn outs to be NFPA you, in order to be in compliance with YOUR FD's regs, must buy the N6A Sam Houston. If it doesn't require NFPA try them both on at a dealer and buy the one you like.

I am sure MassFireGuy is salivating over waiting to call me the NFPA police, frankly I don't care what the NFPA says. BUT, I do CARE about what MY FD says. If they have adopted the NFPA standards, or OSHA standards for PPE then THEY have set the standard and it is to my benefit to be in compliance with MY FD's standards.

Or you can choose to totally disregard them and play the odds. I know what I will do and you can do what you wish knowing the full story.

Be safe either way.
    I was waiting to dial the NFPA police at your notice

Forum Member

Attached Images Attached Images  

Forum Member

ROTFLMAO!!!
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

Im pretty sure its that they are both NFPA approved but NOT OSHA. The N6A has the eye goggles so its OSHA approved as the N5A is not.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyirons2 View Post
    Im pretty sure its that they are both NFPA approved but NOT OSHA. The N6A has the eye goggles so its OSHA approved as the N5A is not.
    Sorry WRONG.

The N5A New Yorker is OSHA approved, not NFPA.
    The N6A is NFPA approved.

This info is right from the Cairns/MSA website.

Forum Member

Yeah i was way off on that one. Just go put a houston on and feel the extra 6-8 oz's.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyirons2 View Post
    Yeah i was way off on that one. Just go put a houston on and feel the extra 6-8 oz's.
    Or the extra 25oz if you have a pre MSA
    "Train as if your life depends on it"
    Always Remember *343*

Default So everyone is aware.

Quote Originally Posted by cdemarse View Post
    Or the extra 25oz if you have a pre MSA

Some people neglect the fact that in order for the N6A to be NFPA compliant it must have:

Goggles or Full face shield

Bourkes alone make it also OSHA only.

So the people here are aware of this.

Thread Information