Thread: Fuel Spills

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Fuel Spills

I know this will probably sound stupid, but here goes.

I would like to hear from other departments regarding what they do with fuel, oil, or other hydrocarbon spills, whether large or small.

Is there info out there that covers this?

Thanks in advance

FIGJAM

Try Sawdust or Kitty Litter

I know it's only in the last 12 months or so that it has become a big issue about not washing it down drains which was quite normal and acceptable according to the fire depts. here...
    Luke

MembersZone Subscriber

We generally use some type of "oil dry" absorbent material or an emulsifier to break down the hydrocarbons. If we use the dry absorbent on a vehicle accident, the tow truck driver usually picks it up. Tow truck drivers usually bring a small amount of "oil dry" with them.
    "We shouldn't be opening firehouses in Baghdad and closing them in New York City."

IACOJ

MembersZone Subscriber

Liike what was said by Duffman, we use kitty litter or oil dry.
    AKA: Mr. Whoo-Whoo

IAFF Local 3900

IACOJ-The Crusty Glow Worm

ENGINE 302 - The Fire Rats

F.A.N.T.A.M FOOLS FTM-PTB

MembersZone Subscriber

The real question is what to do with the dirty kitty litter. You cant just throw it in your station dumpster and if it is a fairly large spill it cant be left on the road. Anyone know how much it cost for a pound to properly dispose of kitty litter with gas, tranny, or some other petrol based product?

FIGJAM

The real question is what to do with the dirty kitty litter. You cant just throw it in your station dumpster
    Check out Enretech Products they have a product that can be dumped into a standard bin after absorbing hydrocarbons...
    Luke

MembersZone Subscriber

The reason I posted the question was that I wasn't sure what to do with the kitty litter afterwards. To me just putting an absorbant down isn't enough. Does it mitigate the problem, or does it make it a bigger problem because now you've got kitty litter soaked with the product and don't know what to do with it.

I know that there are environmental companies that come out to do clean up, but on small spills is it worth the cost?

Thanks for the input,

Keep it coming

MembersZone Subscriber

I know that there are environmental companies that come out to do clean up, but on small spills is it worth the cost?
    Thanks to SARA Title III it isn't our responsibility to pay for removal. If you don't yet have a "spiller pays" ordinance, I would reccommend writing one.
    "We shouldn't be opening firehouses in Baghdad and closing them in New York City."

IACOJ

Forum Member

Disposal regs on petro products vary state to state. Three things need to be identified - what spilled, how much, and who is responsible. In Colorado, check with the Dept of Health & Environment, Hazardous Materials and Waste Management Division. You can also use this link as an info source:

http://www.cdphe.state.co.us/emp/spillsandreleases.htm

In many states, if gasoline is the culprit, the concern is benzene. Depending on how much spilled, the spill and cleanup residues may be regulated as a Hazardous Waste.

The regs on Oil products or diesel fuel are much more forgiving. The majority of states allow this material to be landfilled or sent for bioremediation (bacteria that eats certain hydrocarbons).

The big question is always going to be "who's paying for this?" A disposal company needs to bill someone, so I'd let the CDPHE determine if the material requires special handling. They staff a 24hr line, so why not ask the question. They might have a fact sheet you can post next to the bags of oil dry.

As another FYI, some states frown on the use of degradable absorbents like sawdust, peat, rice hull etc for spill cleanups that will go to a landfill. The best bet is regular oil dry.

MembersZone Subscriber

Lightbulb

We used mostly oil dry and on occassion Emulsifer used mostly for fuel spills in to the sewer system. If we do not used the listed above we absorb the fluids with pads / pigs. Any questions feel free to contact us

Dkosir@sbcglobal.net

MembersZone Subscriber

Check how regular trash is disposed in your area. In Maine we have three community based incinerators, steam to electricity type facilities, that accept non-saturated (we have to add saw dust) sorbents or other combustibles that are contaminated with virgin petroleum products. We also have several soil recycling facilities that are State licensed to take soils contaminated with virgin oils. Used oils have to be tested. Both of these types of facilities will accept oil contaninated materials with a letter that identifies the source so as to forgo testing requirements and saves money.

As far as who pays, the responsible party or their insurance company pays unless there is a federal, state or local spill fund to tap into.

If those types of facilites are not available to you, figure out a pricing structure with a contractor and seek reimbursement from the responsible party or their insurance company...not a fun thing to do when there are injured or deseased persons involved. Check with the State environmental officials who respond to spills and see if they have an anvenue for your department.
    Last edited by nate99z; 07-09-2003 at 04:35 PM.

Thread Information