Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Post Lake Wales Fla--Firefighter and Police Officer Face Off-Duty DUI Charges

The Ledger online

Firefighter, Detective Face DUI Charges

By Bill Bair
    The Ledger
    billbair1@aol.com

LAKE WALES -- A Lake Wales police officer has been suspended with pay and a city firefighter is expected to be assigned nondriving duties after both were arrested Saturday night on charges of driving under the influence of alcoholic beverages.

Both were arrested after firefighter Joseph Wayne Jenkins, 32, 806 Campbell Ave., drove his pickup into the rear of the unmarked city vehicle driven by police Detective Barry Keith Marbutt, 30, 133 E. Tillman Ave., about 10:50 p.m. Saturday at 11th Street and State Road 60, according to Lake Wales police reports.

Deputy Chief Bill Dunkleberger said the two city employees had just left a party when Jenkins hit the rear of the city vehicle driven by Marbutt, who was attempting to turn left onto State Road 60 from South 11th Street.

Both men were off duty at the time of the accident.

Reports said both men failed field sobriety tests conducted shortly after the accident.

Later tested twice at the police station, Marbutt had blood-alcohol levels of 0.177 and 0.166, more than twice the legal limit of 0.08. Jenkins' tests showed levels of 0.142 and 0.133.

Dunkleberger said the accident resulted in about $2,000 damage to the unmarked police vehicle -- a 1995 Chevrolet -- and about $2,000 to Jenkins' 1999 Dodge pickup.

He said Jenkins will also face a traffic citation for causing the accident.

Marbutt, who was hired in June 1999, was immediately placed on paid suspension, pending the internal investigation, Dunkleberger said. He said disciplinary action will be based on that investigation, which is expected to be completed by the end of the week.

Fire Chief Tom Tucker said he is also reviewing the situation and will probably assign Jenkins, an 11-year veteran of the department, to nondriving duties.

Bill Bair can be reached at billbair1@aol.com or 863-676-7118.
    09-11 .. 343 "All Gave Some..Some Gave ALL" God Bless..R.I.P.
    ------------------------------
    IACOJ Minister of Southern Comfort
    "Purple Hydrant" Recipient (3 Times)
    BMI Investigator
    The comments, opinions, and positions expressed here are mine. They are expressed respectfully, in the spirit of safety and progress. They do not reflect the opinions or positions of my employer or my department.

Post Update: Police Officer Resigns

The Ledger on line

Lake Wales Officer Arrested on DUI Quits

By Bill Bair
    The Ledger
    billbair1@aol.com

LAKE WALES -- A Lake Wales police officer, arrested last weekend on charges of driving under the influence of alcoholic beverages, has resigned.

Detective Barry Keith Marbutt, 30, submitted his resignation Friday, shortly after a departmental disciplinary meeting, Police Chief Mark LeVine said.

LeVine said Marbutt violated "a long list" of city and departmental policies as a result of his arrest while driving an unmarked city police vehicle. The most serious violation was driving a city vehicle while intoxicated.

According to police reports, Marbutt and firefighter Joseph Wayne Jenkins, 32, 806 Campbell Ave., were charged June 14 after Jenkins' pickup truck hit the rear of the city vehicle at State Road 60 and 11th Street about 11:30 p.m.

The two city employees had just left a party when the accident occurred, reports said.

Later tested twice at the police station, Marbutt had blood-alcohol levels of 0.177 and 0.166, more than twice the legal limit of 0.08. Jenkins' tests showed levels of 0.142 and 0.133.

Both men were off duty at the time of the wreck.

However, LeVine said Marbutt, who has been with the department for four years, faced the more severe disciplinary action because he was in a city vehicle at the time.

By resigning, Marbutt avoided being fired.

Fire Chief Tom Tucker could not be reached for comment Friday, but said earlier this week that Jenkins, an 11-year veteran of the department, would be assigned nondriving duties because of insurance concerns.

Reports said the accident resulted in about $2,000 damage to the unmarked police vehicle -- a 1995 Chevrolet -- and about $2,000 damage to Jenkins' 1999 Dodge pickup.

Bill Bair can be reached at bill bair1@aol.com or 863-676-7118.
    BMI Investigator
    The comments, opinions, and positions expressed here are mine. They are expressed respectfully, in the spirit of safety and progress. They do not reflect the opinions or positions of my employer or my department.

Sr. Information Officer NJFFSA16's Avatar

Question

Fire Chief Tom Tucker could not be reached for comment Friday, but said earlier this week that Jenkins, an 11-year veteran of the department, would be assigned nondriving duties because of insurance concerns.
    This makes me wonder....whether the insurance company responsible for apparatus in the AnnDee Huber incident....has issues or concerns about Mr. Cailliers mishap? What would their policy be on providing insurance for drivers with DUI histories?

Just thinking out loud....so to speak.
    Proudly serving as the IACOJ Minister of Information & Propoganda!
    Be Safe! Lookouts-Awareness-Communications-Escape Routes-Safety Zones

*Gathering Crust Since 1968*
    On the web at www.section2wildfire.com

Post Editorial

Punishment should fit the crime

Two Lake Wales city employees -- a police detective and a firefighter -- attend a party and get drunk. They leave, get into their vehicles and promptly get into an automobile accident -- with each other. Both fail field sobriety tests and are arrested on charges of driving under the influence of alcohol.

What should be the consequences of their actions?

Lake Wales firefighter Joseph Wayne Jenkins, 32, and police Detective Barry Keith Marbutt, 30, had just left the party on the night of June 14 when Jenkins drove his pickup truck into the rear of the unmarked city vehicle being driven by Marbutt. Both were off duty at the time.

Marbutt had a blood alcohol level of 0.177 when tested after the accident -- more than twice the legal limit of 0.08. Jenkins had a blood alcohol level of 0.142.

Marbutt submitted his resignation Friday after a disciplinary hearing, and that was the right thing to do. He could have been fired over the incident.

Fire Chief Tom Tucker said he probably will assign Jenkins to nondriving duties. However, the seriousness of the offense merits more than a slap on the wrist, and Lake Wales city officials and elected commissioners should consider carefully the message they will send when disciplining Jenkins.

Jenkins, as Marbutt did, holds a position that commands a high degree of public trust. It is the primary duty of a firefighter to ensure the safety of people and property in the community. On Saturday night, both men betrayed the trust placed in them. They put people and property in jeopardy.

It is fortunate that neither was injured in the accident and that no one else was involved. But the outcome could have been very different. Someone -- a son, daughter, husband or wife -- could have been killed.

Can Lake Wales officials guarantee that a similar incident will never happen again, and that it will not end in tragedy? Should Jenkins be removed from the city payroll? This much seems sure: If Jenkins is allowed to keep his job, and suffers another such lapse in judgment while on duty, city officials will bear some of the responsibility for what happens.
    BMI Investigator

Post Update...Firefighter Suspended

THE LEDGER ONline

Firefighter Suspended Without Pay

Ledger staff

LAKE WALES -- A firefighter arrested June 14 on charges of driving under the influence of alcoholic beverages will be suspended a week without pay and undergo counseling, said Fire Chief Tom Tucker.

Joseph Wayne Jenkins, 32, 806 Campbell Ave., will face suspension for three shifts without pay from the Lake Wales Fire Department and attend counseling sessions, Tucker said.

Each shift is 24 1/2 hours long with two days off in between.

Jenkins, who has been with the department for 11 years, has no previous record of traffic violations and will also be assigned to nondriving duties at the station, Tucker said.

According to police records, Jenkins' pickup truck hit the rear of police officer Barry Keith Marbutt's unmarked police vehicle after the two were driving home from a party. Both men were intoxicated at the time of the accident. Both men were tested twice, and Jenkins' blood alcohol readings were 0.142 and 0.133. The legal limit is 0.08.

Marbutt resigned from the Police Department on Friday.
    BMI Investigator

Thread Information