Forum Member

Unhappy Times Change... I see it now...

All these times the old boys get on and say how we demand too much, want too much, and demand everything. I have always disagreed until now...

I have been around for awhile in my department (3 years). And I have now began to realize somethings. Currently there are zero members around my age group in the department that was there when I joined. There is one kid who has been in for 2 years but he is even different.

When I joined I got a minitor 1 pager that beeped all the time cause it was broke and a rubber jacket. Over the years I have got a full set of turnout gear, a plectron, minitor 2. I did something that a lot havent done lately, EARN their way into the department. I earned the things I have, I have earned the respect and trust of my fellow firefighters.

But lately that has all changed. They come in with demands. They want this, and they want it now pretty much. Why? What has gone wrong here with the system? They come in with demands and they are very "baby-ish" when they dont get their way! Even the kid who has been in for 2 years isnt on the same level as I am. I think I had this epiphany when I told that I was a "Good Ol' Boy". Which in my department means that you are in with the old guys, and everybody covers for each other if one makes a mistake around the hall.

I am just curious. Do the newer members feel as you EARN your way into your department? I feel insulted, and disrespected by a lot of newer guys actions and it really ticks me off! Do you older guys feel as the new explorers arent earning their way and are demanding too much? Let me tell ya, if it werent for self control I would have thumped on some of these people and set them straigh, but I dont think that could happen.
    Firefighter/EMT Mitch Cowen
    Hose Co. 1 1st Lieutenant
    Randolph Fire Co. Inc

Temporarily/No Longer Active

Mitch my brother, your preaching to the quior! We got this new kid just for the summer and he is driveing me nuts because he doesnt know anything,thinks he does and wants to jump right in do drills and has told me he really dont care about firefighting and was just doing this to put on his resume for his bunkroom/run calls thing.

But the adviseors told me take him under my wing but I dont know, he is a nice kid but the ignorence is deafining--- he is a good example of the 3/20 attiutde.

I started out with nothing and I have built this post up with hard work and earned the trust and respect of our fellow firefighters.I had to struggle to get this started,searched high and low to find us gear,co-ordinated with other towns and agencys to arrange field trips and drills.

And the other two explorers are very dedicated like me and we all started the at the same time, but with some kids that I have turned away (cause this wasnt for them) and this kid we are stuck with for the summer, I just dont see the level of dedication or commitment anymore. They just want gear and a shirt and to hop right in at drills, they dont realize we had to sit in a class room for almost a year before we really did "drills".

We also had to learn about brother hood and backing each other up and haveing to work as team. We just had the basics beaten into us over and over and it was amazeing when we did drills we almost looked like what we knew what we were doing!.

I just dont see it anymore in this kid,he dont got that smile like we had after rolling hose or cleaning the trucks. The look of wonder when we stood back as the bell rang and heros went to work with the hope that someday we would be the heros answering that call.

I just belive that the people we get now are just interested in getting the title and ego with out the hard work.
    They are not interested learning the corner stones of this business--Pride,Honor,Tradition,Respect and Brother hood.

Sorry for me going on and on just had to get that off my chest.

-dfd

yes i have noticed this within the jrs. but its not really the new guys that say they want more than they got, its actually the jr's that have been there the longest asking for all this new stuff, and they think they have earned it but they definitly have not earned it. also i see this with the new people fresh out of fire school asking for new gear right away and uniforms right away and this and that, and there are still people who have been here a while and still waiting for their uniforms.i just think its rediculious that the same ones wanting all this new stuff are the same one not packing up at any of the calls. also as dex said people arent smiling after cleaning a truck or packing hose. ok so maybe its not the most fun thing to do but its also an important aspect of the firehouse, we all work together to get something done. i dont even know the reason why some of the jr's are here, im guessing just to say "oh im on the fire dept".

MembersZone Subscriber

(wipes away the tears) The youngsters have finally learned. You hope one day they will grow up to be justlike you.

Ok joking aside, I know what you mean. I work in the training bureau and I am also resposible for uniforms/equipment. I had a person come into my office last week saying that they needed new boots. Now everyone on the dept knows that we now only buy leathers and most of us still have rubbers. I looked at them and I asked why. They said their rubbers are too heavy and they get tired. I told them when I started my boots were too small and I got blister constantly when I wore them for a long time, but we didn't have the money at the time to buy new boots. I told them that I finally got boots that fit when I bought them and I just got leathers about 3 months ago, only due to the steel toe was showing and the LT asked if I had ordered new boots, and I said no so he made me order them. I told that person when they make half as many calls as some of the people I never hear complain then I might consider it. Plus if you are getting tired from wearing rubbers, maybe you need to consider doing something else. It has finally got around that I will not grant a newbie any new gear when we have perfectly servicable and safe used equipment. I have them complaining about having an old radio.....ok now you don't have a radio at all you can carry a plectron. Want to complain about wanting new gear, how about having none theirs the door.
    AKA: Mr. Whoo-Whoo

IAFF Local 3900

IACOJ-The Crusty Glow Worm

ENGINE 302 - The Fire Rats

F.A.N.T.A.M FOOLS FTM-PTB

Forum Member
    Waynesboro, VA, possibly relocating to Virginia Beach in the near future!

We have two volunteers like that, they want everything but work for nothing. One of them only shows up when he wants something, and if he doesn't get his way, he leaves. The other one ended up in the Chief's office for his attitude one day and hasn't been back since.

Our volly Captain has a saying, and I agree with it 110%: "You gotta get dirty to get pretty." Translation: "If you want the good stuff, you gotta work for it."
    These are my opinions, not those of my career department, my volunteer company, or my affiliates. And by the way, I'm not a Junior.

Buy me a drink, sing me a song, take me as I come 'cause I can't stay long.

Johnny Greene: 2/3/45-5/2/04
    Forever in our hearts

Originally poster by ff134
    Plus if you are getting tired from wearing rubbers, maybe you need to consider doing something else.

i know u didnt mean this in a joking matter but i find that funny!

MembersZone Subscriber

Get your mind out of the gutter
    AKA: Mr. Whoo-Whoo

IAFF Local 3900

IACOJ-The Crusty Glow Worm

ENGINE 302 - The Fire Rats

F.A.N.T.A.M FOOLS FTM-PTB

lol sorry

Ive seen this in the post I am in. I think that some of the kids are just in it because their friend is in the post. Not the best reason for being there if you ask me. Also everyone always whines when we have to sit in the meeting room and go over things for 2 hours. Have any of you other guys out their looked at how many of the explorers/Jrs that can goto calls but show up at one and dont know what to do and its not their first call or the same thing at drill night?

ok i was/have been an explorer for 4 years this summer it takes alot to earn the trust and respect that you need to have to get places, cuz if they dont trust ya you do nada! ok well that all for now, later

Thread Information