Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience

View Poll Results: Does your department set off fireworks?

Voters
19. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, we do the whole thing.

4 21.05%
  • No

6 31.58%
  • NO, we dont set them off, but oversee operations.

9 47.37%
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Fireworks

Forum Member

Default Fireworks

Does your department take part in setting off fireworks for the 4th of July festivities?
    "I truly believe that tradition is important to the long-term survival of the fire service."-Lt. Andrew Fredricks, FDNY,9-11-01

Temporarily/No Longer Active EoneTiller's Avatar

Talking bang!!

I dont think our firehouse does but a nieghboring one does. oh man i love fireworks, love driving to PA and buying a whole sh*t load of em and bringing them back to jersey!!

Im not too sure, i will check, i think that they help out with them... we got a ton of em for my dad for fathers day to light off on the 4th...
    I havent failed, I've found 10,000 ways that don't work.

- Thomas Edison

We've got extremely tight controls in place over here in Oz= must be licensed to set up and operate, etc.

Here's a bit of info....

And some more....

Here's a bit about our regulations and licensing requirements....

Even the emergency services are not exempt from these laws...
    Luke

HNFC FF/President mdoddsjffhnfc's Avatar

we dont have our own fireworks, but Sterling HS has a Fireworks show on July 3rd every year. Since they launch them in our town (part of Sterling is in Somerdale, part in Hi-Nella) my department is incharge of getting equipment in place and setting up duty crews to respond from the HS. It's a good show though.

We also have to send a crew (usually a small 3/4 man crew) a few hours before the show to supervise the unloading of the fireworks.
    Firefighter, Volunteering since Oct 2001

CCFA 05-04, best overall class for 2005
    "GOOD GAME!"

Temporarily/No Longer Active dfdex1's Avatar

The FD here has special detail down there and parks our reserve pump down there and due to the sheer amount of people we also have a medical detail and mass decon tent set up and the Department of Fire Services sends the states Inncident Support Unit(most awesome unit in the world) not to mention the scores State Police,Danvers Police,Essex County Sheriffs,Peabody Police,Danvers Harbormaster and Explorers there to manage the sheer chaos that is the 4 th of July.

In DOGANACHUSETTS they areILLEGAL. The State Police acuteally have a sting operation for people that go to New Hampshire and buy them and try to smuggle them into this state.
    They have agents sit up in the parking lots of the fire works stores and every Mass. plate they see there they radio units just on the state line and as soon as you cross the blue's get lit up and you get a big fine and your car impounded for smuggelling explosives over state lines. Kudo's to our boys in blue.

The only time that I have ever seen my department involved with fireworks at a 100th year anniversary for our local newspaper. They set them off by the river so the boat from my department and the boat from the departmnet across the river was also there.
    Cadet Fire & Rescue Deputy Chief 31
    Monessen Volunteer Fire Department #1
    Westmoreland County Station 81-1

"Going far beyond the call of duty, doing more than others expect, this is what excellence is all about. And it comes from striving, maintaining the highest standards, looking after the smallest detail, and going the extra mile. Excellence means doing your best every day, in everything."

MembersZone Subscriber Engine58's Avatar

Eone now thats what im talkin about haha.. Email me if you want some good spots...
    Andrew
    Firefighter/EMT
    New Jersey

On July 4th we're busy on fire patrol fireworks are illegal in the City of Monrovia especially in the high fire zone, You can face arrest and a nice hefty fine if you get caught setting off fireworks within the city limits

in the late 1990's Ohio passed a law that put FD's in charge of overseeing operations and criteria for permits, zones, and we must stand by for x amount of minutes after for patrol of hot particles so we only have 1 of these per year and it is enough ..........
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Forum Member

our state also requires a permit for the big fireworks , and we have one thats why we set them off.
    "I truly believe that tradition is important to the long-term survival of the fire service."-Lt. Andrew Fredricks, FDNY,9-11-01

MembersZone Subscriber ullrichk's Avatar

My town hires professionals to put on fireworks displays. We send an engine company for standby (fire or medical).

Fireworks are illegal in town, but the police turn their heads unless they witness "intentional misuse". We are not allowed to do any enforcement.

I used to love shooting fireworks as a kid. I got wise and leave it to the pros now. FWIW, we have on FF on the dept. who lost an eye to a bottle rocket.
    ullrichk
    a.k.a.
    perfesser

a ship in a harbor is safe. . . but that's not what ships are for

Forum Member

Our town has a really big fireworks display put on by the fire dept. But we also have certified people and a permit for fireworks.

Check out this link to an article from FireRescue regarding community safety and fireworks....
    Luke

Thread Information