Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    MembersZone Subscriber

Default USFA-Residential Sprinklers

Considering that the overwhelming majority of fire loss and fire death occur in the home, this is an outstanding initiative. I hope it gets legs.

Release Date: June 18, 2003
    U. S. Fire Administrator Develops National Residential Sprinkler Strategy to Save Lives
    Emmitsburg, MD -The United States Fire Administration (USFA) and national fire protection professionals, who met recently to develop a national residential sprinkler strategy, have agreed to advocate localized fire suppression in high-risk areas of the home- such as the kitchen - and develop an aggressive plan for advocating residential sprinklers in buildings supported by the federal government.

These strategies were developed during a meeting held at the National Emergency Training Center (NETC) in Emmitsburg, Md. The meeting was intended to bring professionals together with a goal of developing and implementing policies that identify and remove barriers to the acceptance and use of residential sprinkler systems.

"We know how important residential sprinkler systems are," said R. David Paulison, USFA Administrator. "Every year, more than 3,000 people lose their lives in home fires, and most of those deaths are among the elderly, the disabled, the low income and the very young. Sprinkler systems are one way to reduce that number and to save the lives of community residents served by the Nation's fire service."

The U.S. Fire Administration advocates the installation and use of automatic fire sprinklers to save lives, reduce injuries and protect property and believes that, based on a history of proven success, should be used in all residential occupancies.

The specific proposed national strategies are:

Develop an aggressive strategy for advocating residential sprinklers in occupancies influenced or supported by the federal government,
    Advocate localized fire suppression in high risk areas (e.g., kitchens) for retrofit applications,
    Provide advocacy and informational support among stakeholders including state and local decision makers, and
    Ensure that the USFA continues to support research and development in residential fire sprinkler technology.
    In addition, several tasks related to these strategies were identified by the group and will be considered for future programs. For the most current information, visit us at www.usfa.fema.gov.

55 Years & Still Rolling hwoods's Avatar
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Thumbs up Wow.................

Since my County adopted legislation requiring sprinklers in ALL new residential properties, including single family homes, over 10 years ago, I shouldn't be impressed, but I am. This is the best way yet to save lives and property, and IMHO, the entire Fire service should get behind this and push for it to happen. Stay Safe....
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Temporarily/No Longer Active dfdex1's Avatar

I dont belive they should be required by code. Homeowners should have the option of what is installed in there home. I dont belive that the goverment should tell you what you should have in your home.

A group of condos here has them installed here and they are nothing but a nusince with constant water leaks. Where do you draw the line between fire protection and just a nuisence? I belive they have had about 3 plumbers try to stop the leak. And also have had to spend lots of money to tear down and replace there water damaged cielings.

Whats next Nomex blankets? Aspestos underwear? Cement bed? Dont get me wrong I am for sprinkler systems and fire prevention I just dont belive forceing them into people's homes.

Just me opinion
    -dfd

MembersZone Subscriber mcaldwell's Avatar

Don't blame the sprinkler system for the leaks, it is almost certainly a case of lack of maintenance or maybe improper installation.

We went through a tough couple of years when they started building the new condo hotels here on our resort (with sprinkler systems), as we fought with leaks, freeze ups, broken pipes, etc. We blamed the systems, the sprinkler techs, the contractors, etc... until we finally received some quality training from Edwards Alarms. Now the system works perfectly and we haven't had a problem in two years.

Sprinklers have quickly and easily put out EVERY internal fire we have had up here in the last ten years. I cannot praise them enough. In fact, the only minor downside, is that they have been so effective that they really slowed our drive to replace our 24 year old engine (until this year). But that is a burden we were happy to bear in exchange for the extra safety.

The gov't tells you how to build your house so it doesn't fall down, and they should be telling you how to build it so it doesn't burn down either.
    Never argue with an Idiot. They drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!

IACOJ

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Re: Wow.................

Originally posted by hwoods
    Since my County adopted legislation requiring sprinklers in ALL new residential properties, including single family homes, over 10 years ago, I shouldn't be impressed, but I am. This is the best way yet to save lives and property, and IMHO, the entire Fire service should get behind this and push for it to happen. Stay Safe....
    You SHOULD be impressed that you work on one of the relatively few areas in this country that have the foresight to mandate such an important life safety system.

For the "not in my house" crowd, you must remember that every aspect of your home, from the footings to the roof shingles, is regulated. What you can do in your home IS regulated. If you argue against mandating sprinklers, then you must also be against codes calling for smoke detectors.

The goal here is saving lives. Sprinkler systems save lives, no matter where they are. Since most lives are lost in residential fires, residential sprinklers WILL have a dramatic effect on the fire death rate in this country.

Please dont take this as me wanting death and destruction and citys to burn.

I am just worried that if every single dwelling is sprinkled than what am I going to do when I get on the fire department? Once this is unfortunatly mandadted should I just hang up the axe and 1 3/4"? I just personally see the fire service in ten years as EMS and inspections and no firefighting. I joined this to fight fire not put band aids on or plug sprinklers.

Just my own thoughts
    -dfd

MembersZone Subscriber mcaldwell's Avatar

At the turn of the last century, there were HUNDREDS of LODD's each year in North America. This was due to the lack of fire control technology, training, and building codes. Today through improvements in that technology, training, and building code, we are down to a couple of dozen. And most of those are not actual fire deaths, but rather heart attacks, MVA', falls, etc. If a hundred years from now, firefighters are all out there performing inspections instead of fighting fires, that would mean we have done our jobs well today.

Promoting safety and fire prevention should already be the majority of our jobs. I personally spend dozens of hours performing inspections and educating people for every 1 hour I spend fighting fire. And that is the way it should be.
    Never argue with an Idiot. They drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!

IACOJ

I just personally see the fire service in ten years as EMS and inspections and no firefighting
    DFDEx1, you have to be kidding me. Not having fires is a bad thing? Property not being damaged, people not being burned, lifes not being messed up by fire loss....that is all bad? Being a firefighter is about helping people when they need it. Being a firefighter is hoping people don't have fires. Being a firefighter is helping PREVENT fires through inspections, education, etc. When a fire occurs, it's too late, the damage is done.

what am I going to do when I get on the fire department?
    Your job. Help people.

NOT one of your best posts...

Default Jeez, I hope you've got a good helmet DFDEX1

Because you're probably going to need it after folks finish with your last post.

Here's a simple question. What is your first priority as a firefighter? Unless the Essentials book has changed lately it is LIFE SAFETY. The job isn't about getting your thrills. I'm glad you find it exciting, we all do but the fact is that every time we respond to a residental fire someone is having the worst and maybe last day of their life. It is not a game.

MembersZone Subscriber

am just worried that if every single dwelling is sprinkled than what am I going to do when I get on the fire department? Once this is unfortunatly mandadted should I just hang up the axe and 1 3/4"? I just personally see the fire service in ten years as EMS and inspections and no firefighting. I joined this to fight fire not put band aids on or plug sprinklers.
    This is the problem with young wannabes. They do not understand the goal of the fire service is, first and foremost, to PREVENT FIRES! If there was never, ever another major loss fire in this country THAT WOULD BE A BLEESING FROM GOD!

The insinuation that residential sprinklers are bad because it wouldprevent the WHACKERS in this world from getting their jollies by fighting fire is an insult to every, single professional in the fire protection field. If a person subscribes to this way of thinking, they need to seriously re-evaluate their priorities in life. They also need to NOT get inlvoed in the fire service.

If anybody is wondering where fire fighter arsonists are born, they are born in this line of thinking.

MembersZone Subscriber

This is a great move the town next to me has a sprinkler law in effect for new construction, and when I build a new place for myself it will have sprinklers.
    As for the fire question, we will still get them. The last fire I was on started in the wall from the electric. No sprinkler would have touched it.
    So fear not we will still get fires. The biggest problem is we will have to train harder to keep an edge or the lack of experience will take more of us when we do get a fire.

MembersZone Subscriber

So fear not we will still get fires. The biggest problem is we will have to train harder to keep an edge or the lack of experience will take more of us when we do get a fire.
    Don't you get it? No fires is the goal. No fires is a good thing!

MembersZone Subscriber

Try this link for facts about residential sprinkler. It has pictures even!

http://www.fire.nist.gov/fire/sprink/

MembersZone Subscriber jaybird210's Avatar
    911 N. Sycamore St. Yep, that's really our address.

Between people like dfd and Hollywood, it's no wonder there is such a huge roadblock to requiring every dwelling to be sprinklered.

Come back in twenty years when you've grown a brain and had some experience in the real world. When you realize what George said about everything in your house being regulated. Try building a house, or even putting a deck on your house. Everything you do requires permits and inspections. Why? Because people are too lazy, cheap, or stupid to keep from killing and maiming themselves. We MUST have a building code requiring sprinklers, because the cheap, lazy, and/or stupid people in this country will continue to build without them, and these buildings will continue to burn and kill Americans and our brother and sister firefighters.

We have one of the worst fire death rates in the industrialized world, partly because of thinking like this:
    I am just worried that if every single dwelling is sprinkled than what am I going to do when I get on the fire department? Once this is unfortunatly mandadted should I just hang up the axe and 1 3/4"? I just personally see the fire service in ten years as EMS and inspections and no firefighting. I joined this to fight fire not put band aids on or plug sprinklers.
    Don't spew that garbage in an interview with me; I'll show you the door before you've put the period on your sentance.
    Omnis Cedo Domus

www.hinckleyfd.org

Forum Member

George, I just watched both videos. Very impressive what sprinklers can do.

Tanker
    I.A.C.O.J. Firefighter/EMT-B

"I'm gonna drill a hole in your skull and pump out all the stupidity"
    Gunny Ermey

"Never underestimate the Power of Stupid People in Large Groups"

Humpty Dumpty was pushed

Polishing the Chrome on all the IACOJ "apparati"

Try building a house, or even putting a deck on your house. Everything you do requires permits and inspections.
    I know this working in the electrical business. If you want a good example of dumbing peoples houses down there are these new arch fault breakers that shut off "quicker" when you do stupid crap like chew through a cord.
    So some engineer sold this idea and now instead of a perfectly fine and safe $5 breaker we have to install $69 dollar breakers that are a pain in the as* cause they are always tripping for stupid reasons like turning on a computer all at once or turning on your washer when your furnace kicks on.

By law if you want lets say,a $30 outside light installed we have to change out all of your breakers at $69 dollars a piece. So your average panel in single story home has about 20 spaces. So we have to charge $1,380 just for the breakers plus your $ 30 light and plus our 2-3 hours labor that $50 job is now costing you $1500. Think it is assinine considering those breakers are perfectly fine and safe--it is.
    The reality of it is people will see that it will cost them $1500 just for a little light so they will say screw it and put off other more nesceary electrical jobs which is not good. Or you will get a weekend warrior who trys to wire it himself and either burn down his house or kill himself. Then you got the electrican who has to put up with a constant and contrdicting electrical code and is loseing money or not makeing it at all cause people wont pay $1500 for a outdoor light. Thats reality.

MembersZone Subscriber

Of course no fires are a good thing, but they will happen sprinklers or not. I'm just saying that even with sprinklers everyonce in a while we will get a fire that we need to intervene on.
    It is hard enough for the FPB to keep up on commercial buildings without right of entry systems will go down, be intentially bypassed or made ineffective by home furnishings.
    If we start to become complacent with fire training more firefighters will die.
    Even the best fire prevention can not prevent all fires. The less fires we get, the less experience we get the more we will have to train our men. We can prevent some fires but we must not lessen our training to achieve it.

install $69 dollar breakers that are a pain in the as* cause they are always tripping for stupid reasons like turning on a computer all at once or turning on your washer when your furnace kicks on.
    Sounds like a wiring problem to me. Mine work fine.
    breakers that shut off "quicker" when you do stupid crap like chew through a cord
    God forbid, a breaker that actually does what it is supposed to? and we all know that cords never get cut accidentally...

No,its the breaker its just too sensitve it will dump at something like .5~ma fluctation as opposed to a 1,1.5~ma fluctation with a normal breaker hence there "quicker". And yes they do what there designed to do just fine its just what there designed to do is not needed and I guess you could call it "overkill".

Default What is this service all about

dfdex1:
    I echo the advise of the others on here who believe that your thinking has some serious problems.

Our mission should be to save lives and property from fire in the most efficient and effective way. The best way to do that is prevent fires from happening and when they do happen have a means of controlling the fire and notifing and evacuating the residents of that building before flashover happens. There is nothing as efficient and effective at that, than sprinklers. Whether in homes or commercial properties, their record speaks volumes.

At One Meridian Plaza, the fire that caused millions of dollars of loss, caused the death of three of our brothers could not be controlled by 12 alarms of one of the best fire departments in the world. Depending on the report that you read, 9 to 12 sprinkler heads controlled the fire on an upper floor.

The community that I work for and live in, has had a sprinkler ordinance that requires sprinklers in just about every new building, including single and multiple family dwellings since 1994. While we have also had some problems with leaks they are now few and far between. Sprinklers have saved at least six lives here since 1994.

I would much rather mop up the water from those sprinkler activations and have those lives saved than have headstones marking their graves, just because I wanted some "action".

You may wish to look for some other field of endeavor than the fire service my friend.

Thread Information