View Poll Results: Does your organization use a phone tree?

Voters
12. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes we do.

2 16.67%
  • No we do not

7 58.33%
  • Huh? Ohh I want some taquitos

3 25.00%

Thread: Phone Tree?

Temporarily/No Longer Active

Question Phone Tree?

How many of you guys use a phone tree to notify people of meetings,cancelations etc.? How is it set up? How well and efficient is it? Does one person make all the calls or is it like the "operator" system?

Forum Member
    Waynesboro, VA, possibly relocating to Virginia Beach in the near future!

We have it dispatched over the radio. We do have phone lists though, and we can call people if we need to.
    These are my opinions, not those of my career department, my volunteer company, or my affiliates. And by the way, I'm not a Junior.

Buy me a drink, sing me a song, take me as I come 'cause I can't stay long.

Johnny Greene: 2/3/45-5/2/04
    Forever in our hearts

Forum Member

We will dispatch over the radio and we have a voicemail system set up for announcements also.

Errr let me rephrase that. I meant does your explorer/junior groups use the phone tree,not the regular dept. Sorry for the mix up.
    Last edited by dfdex1; 06-24-2003 at 11:58 PM.

Depends on the FD but most of the time I hear that pagers are set off for notifications
    Cliff,
    Junior Firefighter
    Liberty Fire Company
    Chester County PA Fire Staton 63
    *Proud to serve!

Forum Member

Default We have one but its like our old engine...

We have one but its kind of like our second engine. We have it, we keep it up and running, but we never use it.

I have found that this is one of the biggest down falls of a junior program. Is that there is competition within the group and they dont want to tell so and so because they dont want them there and such. We all know how that goes I am sure.

I established the phone tree back when I was Captain, and it was never used. And really I only established it because it seemed to be a quick fix to the complaining. When deep down we all know that there is no way to notify every member equally, and more than that keep everyone happy.

My group of somewhat "immature", "backstabbing" juniors found the phone tree to be hard to operate, and a select few only saw its use necessary when it benefited them.

Our phone tree was set up with the captain at top to gather the info and I would call 2 other people. (The Lt and Sec.) Then they would each call one person and then everyone that they called was supposed to call the next. It was simple, but evidentally hard to operate.

My opinion on a phone tree is that they suck for such a young, "immature" group. All it took was one person to not make a phone call and it was all over. Stay away from the phone trees personally. I found it easiest to just make 20 calls myself instead of depending on other people. Maybe if you do have officers, that you can actually depend on (something I was lacking) then maybe it would somewhat work. But my advice would be just stay away.

Not the mention the problems of this person not wanting to call him... you cant keep everyone happy. And now that I am not the captain I use this policy. When I find out something I tell nobody. Because then I would get accused of showing favoritism and all that crap. But other than that for the fire company it all comes over the pagers. Unless it only affects a few then they would recieve phone calls.

Sorry for talking your ears off... but what is your opinions on the great "phone tree solution"?
    Firefighter/EMT Mitch Cowen
    Hose Co. 1 1st Lieutenant
    Randolph Fire Co. Inc

we either call up dispatch and have them do it over the minitors or we send everyone a pager on the alpha numerics.

Well we work with another towns post about a 40 minute drive for me. Well last night was a beutiful warm night and we were looking foward to the big initial attack drill there.
    I had talked to there adviseor no more than 4 hours prior to going there to confirm the what station. Well 7 pm comes and one of there explorers shows up so me and dfdex2 are like ohh ok its just running a little late. Well it never happend,we sat there till about 730 when I called there adviseor is he said "Oh it was cancelled didnt you get the message". Now I woulda been kinda mad if they had called me and cancelled but I was even more ****ed that I drove all that way for nothing,I know its gotten bad when there not even notifying there own kids now.
    I DO NOT want to start that whole volly/paid thing but I notice in my post we take this alot more seriosly as were there seinor members dont take it seriously and tend to use it more as a social club then a way to learn about firefighting I mean they got kids that have been there since they were 14 and are 19 and still cant roll a hose. Which is sad cause there newer members there are very dedicated and willing to learn but no one will teach them.

The reason I asked this question was I wanted to see if the problem lay in the phone tree or them. I see its both now.

-dfd
    F.Y.I,I personally make all the calls to notify explorers that way the adviseor has ONE person to contact that they know is relieable.

Forum Member

We send messages Via Alpha Pagers. We have a program at the station, and so does county.
    Ryan

I.A.C.O.J. Probie

You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You must do the thing which you think you cannot do. -Eleanor Roosevelt

Lets not forget those lost on 9-11-01

Forum Member

Default Part of the problem...

dfdex... you got it man. The problem may not lay so much in the phone tree but the people. And this is somewhat what I was covering in my other post about times changing. The people that we get sometimes, especially now, are becoming less and less motivated. And it seems that they are only there to boost their ego and try to look good to the people that we serve. And this is another problem with the phone tree, if you can get it to operate, than you have to let every joe-blow know about something going on. And who wants to call the kid to go on detail when they know nothing? Some would argue this is the place to learn. But you learn at the hall, you dont have primary learning at a scene or detail. You get the main idea at the hall in my eyes.
    Randolph Fire Co. Inc

Default Re: Part of the problem...

Originally posted by rfcmitch
    And it seems that they are only there to boost their ego and try to look good to the people that we serve. And who wants to call the kid to go on detail when they know nothing? Some would argue this is the place to learn. But you learn at the hall, you dont have primary learning at a scene or detail. You get the main idea at the hall in my eyes.
    Dam right brother,Im trying to get into the new kids head that just cause you show up dont mean your doing what we do with out a working knowledge of the basics. He looked at me his first time and says "When do I get gear and when do we drill?" He has taken the EMT course and thinks he is better than us first responders but has no med certs as opposed to us that have them and are up to date.

And today I bought the post new uniform shirts and lookie there he didnt get one cause he hasnt earned the right to wear it,he is also going to get a rude awakening when he is not asked to join in on a medical/fire detail on the 5th during the fire muster. He thinks he can waltz in for the summer expect us to stop our training and let him do what ever he wants do.
    I got no problem with him drilling with us if he has or gets a working knowledge of basic things. Ok I will get of my soapbox now,sorry Im just getting fustrated.

And this is another problem with the phone tree, if you can get it to operate, than you have to let every joe-blow know about something going on.
    Im kind of lucky there in haveing only 3 other explorers.

Forum Member

We have something like 13 members... but you would think its only about 6. But see one problem with there being so many is that maximum we have 5 seats on one truck. So if we go on a detail with acouple of firemen... are we supposed to call everyone and say. Ok now we are going here, but we dont have room for you anyways. I mean? What the heck are we supposed to do with them? Like I stated earlier I just call nobody.

Its nice that I have been a member for over 3 years now. And when the firemen are doing something, and the chief knows about a training or something coming up. I am told. I get the district 3 emails sent to me, the only one in the whole county that does, and the chief and firemen always come to me first. So really, I dont need the phone tree. Hate to sound cocky but its true...
    Randolph Fire Co. Inc

Default no

We dont use a phone tree, usually everyone is there so I can just tell them, or they already know. If there is anything that required contact through a phone, I will call them personally.
    IACOJ

What is a Phone Tree?? Some please fill me in!
    Rob aka Squinty

The Fighting Seventy-Third

Westville Fire Department
    Gloucester County
    New Jersey

Rob,
    Its a list of explorers and phone# that when you get a message like a meeting getting cancelled the adviseor will call me to say the meetings cancelled,I will call Eone,Eone will call WFD,WFD will call bls boy,Bls boy will call you and so------see the inherent flaw?.

Umm yah we dont, because we have maybee 8 members and our paid FF leader just calls us up(He's at a REALLY slow firehouse). Ha pagers, i wish, unless ur daddys a FF we dont have pagers.
    What's With HIPAA anyway, does anyone really care. I saw we burn it, but be cool about fire safety!

HNFC FF/President

any announcements that need to be made concerning the Juniors, seniors, officers, or entire department are made by county via our minitor pagers. Considering that there are only 20 members in our department, 5 of which are junior ffs, they will notify us for anything.
    Firefighter, Volunteering since Oct 2001

CCFA 05-04, best overall class for 2005
    "GOOD GAME!"

Thread Information