Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By 80FIRE

Thread: NFIRS Reporting...What do you use?

Forum Member

Default NFIRS Reporting...What do you use?

Currently SC is still using the NFIRS 4.1 version with plans to upgrade to 5.0 in about six months. I asked to be sent the 4.1 version, which is DOS based. After playing around with it, I found it too complicated to worry with. So I am looking for a better alternative until the state starts sending out free 5.0's.

Any suggestions on an easy to use, cheap software or something to use to report to NFIRS? I have my eye right now on nfirsonline.com if anyone has used it could give me some insight. It appears to be the cheapest way to go so far.

We are a vol. fire dept that just needs to report to NFIRS to obligate the terms of our grant. We don't need anything fancy with all kinds of modules.

FH Mag/.com Contributor

We've been using Firehouse (v3 I think) Software. Texas is not taking anything other than NFIRS 5.0 after Nov. 30th so we're upgrading to the new version shortly. All we really use it for is reporting right now, but there's a lot of other useful parts to the program. Awful nice that the state gives you something. We're all on our own for reporting since it's not mandated by the state, just the grant terms from last year and hopefully this year.

Brian
    Brian P. Vickers
    www.vickersconsultingservices.com
    Emergency Services Consulting
    Westlake VFD - Houston, TX
    Proud Member IACOJ - Redneck Division

MembersZone Subscriber
    DuBois, IL - just south of I-64 in the middle of the state

We use Firehouse. IL state fire marshall gave it to use with the basic NFIRS module activated. It's not simple, either, although it is a windows based program. We've been using it for about 2 years now and I still get the book out once in a while. It's not cheap, either, so if you can save a little money in your purchase from the grant, get FEMA to let you buy a new computer and software to report. It's allowed and if you have extra money, they'll work with you. Firehouse does run a lot faster if you have a 800 MHz or faster system with at least 128 k memory.
    Jack Boczek, Chief
    Ashley Community Fire Protection District

FLATLANDERS FOREVER!

Forum Member

Default NFIRS

Here is a FEMA list of NFIRS software suppliers or websites.

http://www.nfirs.fema.gov/activevendors.htm

Hope this helps.

Good luck, stay safe!!

Mike

Forum Member

Thanks for the replies.

FYI..I downloaded Firehouse Software v5 evaluation. Its pretty cool. Costs $860 but I will be checking with FEMA to see if our extra $ will cover that.

I didn't expect NFIRS to be this detailed! Lot of info to keep track of.

Forum Member

I agree with jboczek
    We use the free version of firehouse software. Took a long time to get everything set up and going but is great now. A decent computer is a must. Our old one was to slow amd took forever to do a report. I like the department reports that can be generated from the information. (most fires happen on Monday evenings)(firefighter Jones had a 87% attendance rate last year)

Is there any chance the state will help departments when they upgrade this fall. If so try to get by with the dos version or the paper forms, if they still accept them, untill some thing better is available this fall.
    bafd1999 likes this.
    Proudly serving as Vice-President of the Illinois Delegation of the IACOJ

Forum Member

From my understanding..and correct me if I am wrong, but I think FEMA has a 5.0 program for the NFIRS that is Windows based, but at this time, South Carolina is just in the testing phase of the new 5.0 software.

Thread Information