MembersZone Subscriber

Exclamation Can you help me locate a good Rescue?

Our department is looking to purchase a used combined First Responder/Rescue vehicle. I have made the rounds of several equipment dealers and brokers, and so far I have not been able to find what we're looking for. I'd like to ask that if anyone knows of equipment meeting (or near) these specs that is available, can you please let me know?

Must haves:

Pickup or Van based chassis
    Diesel
    Automatic
    Walk-in body, with room for a stretcher. (We're non-transporting, but we do need somewhere to shelter a patient until the transporting rig arrives)
    Sufficient outside compartments to carry the jaws

Nice additions:

4x4 or Onspot chains
    Cascade
    Winch
    Light tower
    Red in color (I'm not trying to start another 'color' thread!)

We have a budget of about $50k, and we could use the vehicle ASAP.

If anyone knows of a department that has recently taken such a vehicle out of service, we'd be very interested in talking with them.

Thanks in advance, both my department and our citizens will appreciate your help!

Jim
    Volunteer/Paid on Call/Full time - we're all professionals. Be careful and stay safe.

MembersZone Subscriber

I would look into something new with a Reading or similar body http://www.readingbody.com/DEFAULT.HTM
    You could put whatever you want into it and you would be covered under warranty

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Can't do new..

While it would be nice, our budget won't take buying as new vehicle.

We're looking for something used..

Jim
    Volunteer/Paid on Call/Full time - we're all professionals. Be careful and stay safe.

Forum Member

Have you tried doing a web search for "used fire apparatus" ?

There are a lot of dealers and some fire departments that list used apparatus and equipment.

Good Luck
    IACOJ

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Tried that...

I've done a lot of web searches, I've emailed vendors, I've gotten faxes and emails back, but all I'm finding are ambulances or HEAVY rescues.. A nearby department had an ideal vehicle for sale, and we were second in line for it, but the #1 choice took it.. I'm just hoping someone out there knows of this kind of vehicle sale at their department, or has seen one for sale..

Thanks!

Jim

MembersZone Subscriber

MembersZone Subscriber

Talking Found It!

After reading the whole thread about Toyne apparatus, let me start off by stating that I have NEVER had contact with the company listed below before this exposure, and I do not sell for or represent them in any way.

That having been said, I must recommend that if you're in the market for used apparatus, it would be well worth your time to visit www.ambulancetrader.com

As I had mentioned earlier in the thread, I had already contacted at least a half dozen resellers and/or brokers, and provided them with my "wish list" for our rescue. Everyone said they were willing to help, but NO ONE came back to me with what I was looking for. I had plenty of contact showing me what they wanted to sell, but none of it was what I wanted to buy.

That's when I started this post - I couldn't get the help I needed anywhere else, and I thought I'd try here. I continued my searching as well, and I stumbled onto www.ambulancetrader.com. There was one rig that was close to what I was looking for, and we were ready to settle for that unit. I had already told ambulancetrader that we were ready to purchase, contingent on an inspection, and we were scheduling a date for a road trip. At that point, ambulancetrader called me to say that he just had a rig become available that was almost an exact match to my specs. As an even bigger bonus, the second rig was less expensive than the one that we already expressed interest in.

After seeing the pictures of the new rig, and having someone inspect it, we decided to go with the second rig.

In short, here was a salesman that had me hooked, and then was still willing to down-sell me to a less expensive truck because he knew it was what my department really needed. In my opinion, that's the kind of guy who deserves to get business by referral, and that's why I'm telling my story here.

The truck should be here in about 2 weeks, and then it's off to the paint shop (okay, it wasn't red, but it WILL be!) I'll post some pictures when we're ready to put in service.

Again, thanks everyone for your help, and if you're in the market, browse through ambulancetrader.com. (FYI, there is also firetrucktrader.com)

Jim

Thread Information