Default Kenwood TK-290 handheld radios

We're currently evaluating the above radio and would like to know if anyone has any experience with this model. Thanks!

Forum Member

We use a boat load of them. All the Kenwood 90 Series radios are excellent.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

MembersZone Subscriber

We use them too. Seem to work fine, the main problems we have with radio communications is a product of the radio system rather than the kenwood radios.
    Mark
    Firefighter / Paramedic
    IAFF Local 10

MembersZone Subscriber

My department uses Kenwood portables exclusively. We have had very good luck with them.

One of the things I like about them is the plug-in speaker mic. Other brands are held in with a screw, Kenwoods just plug in similar to walkman headphones. You can wear the portable on your belt without the mic and leave the speaker mic on your turnout coat. When going to a fire, plug in the speaker mic, drop the radio in the pocket and you're good to go.
    FTM-PTB-DTRT

Forum Member

That depends on the model your using. Not all of them use the plug-in. I know what your saying, it is very convinient. However that is usually only found on the lower tier stuff. Those connections are cheaper and not as reliable and durable as the big 'ole side connector with a clip or screw. A connector that is clipped or screwed in is not going to pull out and not going to be a big hole for water and dirt. You can also get speaker/mics that have buttons and control on them which you can't do with a plug-in.

Can someone tell me if the 290's have an LCD readout?

Forum Member

I will have to check out one of these radios. We currently have a mix of Motorolas, including P110s, GP350s, and HT750s (since Motorola quit making the 350s).

We are trying to get some ideas on some other radios to buy, since with Motorola you are basically paying for the name and for the "batwings". Yes, they make a good product, but I know there are others out there with just as good or better products that are cheaper and have longer warranties, especially since we would like to get like 40 new ones to replace them all.

Forum Member

The 90 Series portables have a 7 Segment LCD display on the top of the radio. You look down at it and you see the display. It is reversable and has a backlight. You can make it say whatever you want. Channel number, name, group, etc.

MembersZone Subscriber

We have the TK-290's...those are by far the best radio I have ever had. Our department switched to only Kenwood, mobiles base everything is Kenwood now. And the light up LCD is great, and durability is very surprising. We had one ran over by an engine and it only cracked the case. And the "Man-Down" function is great.

I mena my old Maxon was good but it was a brick.
    AKA: Mr. Whoo-Whoo

IAFF Local 3900

IACOJ-The Crusty Glow Worm

ENGINE 302 - The Fire Rats

F.A.N.T.A.M FOOLS FTM-PTB

Thread Information