Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    HNFC FF/President mdoddsjffhnfc's Avatar

Default Music Radios on Engines

Do your engines have music radios on them?

my engines don't. We look at it this way, if your responding to a call (especially if its a worker) you dont have the time to listen to the music. it would be a waste. You need to have a serious additude when responding, and listening to music while responding wont give you that feeling, unless of course you want to be like E17 from Backdraft.
    Firefighter, Volunteering since Oct 2001

CCFA 05-04, best overall class for 2005
    "GOOD GAME!"

Yes, we have Stereo/Cassette players in both our engines.

And you are right, listening to the radio while responding to a call would be stupid, at least. And it does not have to be a worker. You probably respond to a lot more emergencies than "workers"

But, while sitting watching an electric wire for 3 hours, when repacking 1000' of hose after the fire, when sitting eating lunch at the training ground, when returning from training classes a distance away, when on a fireworks standby, during a parade, etc. the radio and it's external speaker comes in nice.

Did you take the stereo out of your car?

Congratulations on realizing you need a serious attitude, that will keep you going far.

Good Luck and Stay Safe.

I'm with Bones on this one...

Our old Mack only had an AM radio, not good times while waiting for PECO and the Fire Police couldn't make it.

Our new KME has a AM/FM/CD Player, good times when rolling all the hose in, or when on traffic detail and the Eagles are on!

Just remember when NOT to turn it on!!
    Once again....the above views are my own and not that of my department. (And probably should not be construed as having any real meaning, whatsoever!)

IACOJ

HNFC FF/President mdoddsjffhnfc's Avatar

your right bones, i can't believed i overlooked the boring part where a radio comes in handy.

Yes, there have been times where i wished we had a music radio. This past Friday for example, were cleaning up from a 2 Alarm job we had in a mutual aid town and i'm putting stuff back on the truck. The only thing you hear is the engine running, nothing else to listen to except that.

And yes bones, we respond to more emergencies than workers. I was just saying that when we get our couple workers per year, the attitude needs to be a serious one (which it always is with my guys) the juniors in my dept (including me) when we get a worker, we get SERIOUS!
    Firefighter, Volunteering since Oct 2001

CCFA 05-04, best overall class for 2005
    "GOOD GAME!"

Ours do we usually don't have them on very loud

Most of our apparatus have a tape deck w/ AMFM radio. If all we had to do was listen to each other talk, there would be a lot more fights in the firehouse (I'm half joking). Power to the stereo can be controlled by both the driver and the officer so you don't have to worry about it blaring when the time is not appropriate.
    Our new KME has a AM/FM/CD Player, good times when rolling all the hose in, or when on traffic detail and the Eagles are on!
    Well, atleast you know the stereo will work when the engine breaks down... then again, that might even draw too much power for the KME!

Just kiddin', Devil .

Stay Safe

Temporarily/No Longer Active EoneTiller's Avatar

we have am/fm radios in our rescue truck, brush truck and officers truck. our new quint will have am/fm and cd player in it.

The Lafrance ladder Merrimack got last year came with a stereo and CD player, "Just in case!"

~Kevin
    FF/Paramedic

Default NO!

Fire Engines dont need Music radios. They are for transporting firemanto and from scenes and for fighting fires not for entertainment.
    Cadet Fire & Rescue Deputy Chief 31
    Monessen Volunteer Fire Department #1
    Westmoreland County Station 81-1

"Going far beyond the call of duty, doing more than others expect, this is what excellence is all about. And it comes from striving, maintaining the highest standards, looking after the smallest detail, and going the extra mile. Excellence means doing your best every day, in everything."

Default Re: NO!

Originally posted by MVFD81
    Fire Engines dont need Music radios. They are for transporting firemanto and from scenes and for fighting fires not for entertainment.

Need I say more
    Last edited by nmfire; 07-02-2003 at 05:57 PM.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Temporarily/No Longer Active dfdex1's Avatar

We dont got them. I see the pro's and cons of them, the pro's are nice but the main con useing it at the wrong times, and haveing a taxpayer with a bug up there bum complain that since the fd can afford a music radio then they dont need new hose,gear etc.

For some reason I see this thread going the way of "Pagers in school" 9 pages of pointless argueing and fighting and still havent found a compromise.

SSTC
    DFD

Temporarily/No Longer Active EoneTiller's Avatar

Originally posted by nmfire

Need I say more

shakes head

what dex not in the mood to do a lil bit of arguing??

When you've been to a few more calls in the adult world Mike, you'll realize how boring some of our jobs can get when waiting for Coroners, Investigators, etc to arrive and complete their tasks, etc.

There is absolutlely no valid reason why an emergency vehicle can not have a radio, cd player, etc. in their vehicles...

You need to have a serious additude when responding, and listening to music while responding wont give you that feeling
    Just like everything- there's a time and place for everything.

Isn't that right MVFD81?
    Luke

Originally posted by lutan1
    Just like everything- there's a time and place for everything.

Isn't that right MVFD81?
    Oooh, sucker punch!!!

Back on subject... Yes, there is a time and a place for everything. Obviously Mr. Mike has never had to babysit powerlines for 4 hours or drive to a training function that is 2 hours away.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

I don't see a problem with having them fire apparatus. We have them in 2 out of 3 ambulances (the oldest one doesn't. I believe it's a 1982) our new mini-pumper (utilized by the part-time personnel during the day) and our 2 Jeep Cherokees and 2 Crown Victorias.

In fact, depending on the type of vehicle you purchase and the chasis, you would probably pay MORE to get the vehicle WITHOUT a stereo.

Like people said before, there is a time and a place for everything. If you can't figure out when it is a "bad time" to listen to music, you probably have a lot more issues that need to be taken care of first.......

Forum Member

We have a radio in our engine. Its on most of the time when we take the truck to get inspected, details, parades, and all that other stuff. I dont have a problem if someone is neccessarily listening to it enroute, as long as it is low. And to the best of my knowledge the speakers only work in the back. Its used more for background noise.

But I have heard of some departments that have it worked that once you hit the master of the emergency equipment the radio loses power. I dont know how its done but I know some departments have made that comment before when we were talking about radios.
    Firefighter/EMT Mitch Cowen
    Hose Co. 1 1st Lieutenant
    Randolph Fire Co. Inc

Temporarily/No Longer Active dfdex1's Avatar

Originally posted by EoneTiller
    what dex not in the mood to do a lil bit of arguing??
    Ehhh Argueing with Mike that he is immature or whatever wont get my lawn cut faster torrmorow,it wont help me drag hose any better,it wont make my hamburgers cook faster,in fact it wont do much of anything really. Mike asked for my advice and I gave it,getting into a arguement over something as petty as this wont solve anything.
    Last edited by dfdex1; 07-03-2003 at 12:25 AM.

Default Re: NO!

Great ... from now on then, I'll tell every little kid who wants to climb in the back of the engine, "sorry, FIRE ENGINES ARE FOR TRANSPORTING FIREMEN TO AND FROM SCENES AND FOR FIGHTING FIRES NOT FOR ENTERTAINMENT."

Any time someone wants to take a picture of our apparatus, I'll tell them, "sorry, FIRE ENGINES ARE FOR TRANSPORTING FIREMEN TO AND FROM SCENES AND FOR FIGHTING FIRES NOT FOR ENTERTAINMENT."

When the little league team that we sponsor wants the engine to come to their last game, I'll tell them, "sorry, FIRE ENGINES ARE FOR TRANSPORTING FIREMEN TO AND FROM SCENES AND FOR FIGHTING FIRES NOT FOR ENTERTAINMENT."

When the hospital wants an engine to come to their charity event to support the children's burn center, I'll tell them, sorry, FIRE ENGINES ARE FOR TRANSPORTING FIREMEN TO AND FROM SCENES AND FOR FIGHTING FIRES NOT FOR ENTERTAINMENT.

The next parade that comes up, I'll tell the crew, "sorry, FIRE ENGINES ARE FOR TRANSPORTING FIREMEN TO AND FROM SCENES AND FOR FIGHTING FIRES NOT FOR ENTERTAINMENT."

The next time a lifetime, retired member, who faithfully served the department for 50 years passes away, I'll tell the family, "sorry, FIRE ENGINES ARE FOR TRANSPORTING FIREMEN TO AND FROM SCENES AND FOR FIGHTING FIRES NOT FOR ENTERTAINMENT."

What else can we rule out?

Stay Safe

Forum Member

We have stereos/CD players in almost every vehicle so we must be in trouble of not "having a serious attitude when responding". I will strictly patrol myself and my partners so that we don't get the wrong "feeling" enroute and may god strike us down if either of us tells a joke or cracks a smile during a response. I just love it when some youngster feels the need to tell forum members how we should act or respond, rather amusing.

Long and short, if you are not mature enough to know how and when to use a stereo in a fire or medic unit then you are not mature enough to be riding in it in the first place.

Be Safe this holiday, and may all your fingers remain in place as you celebrate!
    Proud to be an American, Union Firefighter!

Default Re: Re: NO!

Originally posted by PAVolunteer

Great ... from now on then, I'll tell every little kid who wants to climb in the back of the engine, "sorry, FIRE ENGINES ARE FOR TRANSPORTING FIREMEN TO AND FROM SCENES AND FOR FIGHTING FIRES NOT FOR ENTERTAINMENT."

Any time someone wants to take a picture of our apparatus, I'll tell them, "sorry, FIRE ENGINES ARE FOR TRANSPORTING FIREMEN TO AND FROM SCENES AND FOR FIGHTING FIRES NOT FOR ENTERTAINMENT."

When the little league team that we sponsor wants the engine to come to their last game, I'll tell them, "sorry, FIRE ENGINES ARE FOR TRANSPORTING FIREMEN TO AND FROM SCENES AND FOR FIGHTING FIRES NOT FOR ENTERTAINMENT."

When the hospital wants an engine to come to their charity event to support the children's burn center, I'll tell them, sorry, FIRE ENGINES ARE FOR TRANSPORTING FIREMEN TO AND FROM SCENES AND FOR FIGHTING FIRES NOT FOR ENTERTAINMENT.

The next parade that comes up, I'll tell the crew, "sorry, FIRE ENGINES ARE FOR TRANSPORTING FIREMEN TO AND FROM SCENES AND FOR FIGHTING FIRES NOT FOR ENTERTAINMENT."

The next time a lifetime, retired member, who faithfully served the department for 50 years passes away, I'll tell the family, "sorry, FIRE ENGINES ARE FOR TRANSPORTING FIREMEN TO AND FROM SCENES AND FOR FIGHTING FIRES NOT FOR ENTERTAINMENT."

What else can we rule out?

Stay Safe
    PA....Jeez, man you forgot to write: RANT MODE ON!!! (BTW..I agree with you completely!!)

Also...
    Originally posted by PAVolunteer

Well, atleast you know the stereo will work when the engine breaks down... then again, that might even draw too much power for the KME!

Just kiddin', Devil
    OUCH!!!! That's gonna leave a mark!!

Stay Safe and Have a Good Fourth, buddy!!

-Devil
    Once again....the above views are my own and not that of my department. (And probably should not be construed as having any real meaning, whatsoever!)

IACOJ

Thread Information