1. #1
    Junior Member

    Join Date
    Jul 2003

    Lightbulb UK Fire Fighter looking for a career in CA.

    I have been in the UK Fire Service for 10 years, and am currently a Leading Firefighter in Kent Fire Brigade. I have always wanted to live and work in the USA, but would like to continue a career in the Fire Service.
    I have friends in the California area so would be interested in finding Vacancies in LA or Orange County area.
    Is there any tips anyone could give me with regards to transfers, applying and immigration procedures. Thanks.

  2. #2
    fergus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002


    Most places will only require a green card (permanent residency). Some go a bit further, and require citizenship. If you don't have either of these, you won't be able to turn in an application.

    Most likely, none of your training will transfer, BUT your experience will count for a lot during the interview.

    Some departments require training in order to apply, some don't.

    The most important thing is to eihter get residency or citizenship.

    You could:

    Marry an American (preferrably one that's really rich and good looking)


    get a job with a multi national company (BP, for example). Transfer to the US, and get a job visa. This could be a stepping stone to a green card, which would enable you to start applying.

    It can take a long time, but it's worth it. I've got a British passport and a green card, and I've been a full time firefighter in the states for 4 years now.

    Go ahead and PM me if you want more info.

    Good luck.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Log in

Click here to log in or register