Forum Member

Angry Graffiti Mars WTC Memorial Site

POSTED: 1:37 p.m. EDT July 2, 2003
    UPDATED: 2:14 p.m. EDT July 2, 2003

NEW YORK -- Underneath the names listed on memorial plaques at the World Trade Center site, visitors can view six information panels featuring illustrations and descriptions of the towers -- now covered with graffiti.

"It's nasty," said JoAnn Marquis, visiting with her husband from Salem, Mass. "After what happened here ... it's tacky and unpatriotic."

The panels picture the towers in their former state and outline their history, including their construction, the 1993 bombing and their ultimate destruction on Sept. 11, 2001.

The diagrams and photos, reproduced on a fiberglass background, are now covered with writing, often scrawled in black marker.

Some of the messages are words of hope, remembrance or prayer: "God bless you. ... We will never forget."

Others are indecipherable or vaguely crude: "madison arrived here... Jaz -- A.K.A Big Butt..."

"Some of the stuff is not respectful at all," said visitor Michael Berger, of Greensboro, N.C.

"I think it's terrible," agreed Jan Rodriguez of Boston. "I think it's somebody that just has no consideration for the people who lost their lives here."

Anthony Gardner, who lost his brother in the terrorist attack and who heads the WTC United Family Group, said, "This is a sacred place of American history and sacrifice. No desecration should ever occur."

Many visitors to the site said they were bothered not only by the disrespectful messages, but by the writing itself. They said they considered even positive messages inappropriate.

"Graffiti is graffiti," said Rachael Jackson, from Las Vegas, Nev. "It angers me."

"Write in your bathroom at school if you want to," said Melissa Wilder, a New Yorker viewing the site with visitors from out of town.

Steve Coleman, a spokesman for the Port Authority, which handles maintenance of the viewing wall, said agency officials are aware of the graffiti and appalled by it.

"We're very disturbed and disappointed that anyone would think of defacing anything at the World Trade Center site," Coleman said. "We're in the process of having replacement panels made that we can install there in place of the ones that have been vandalized."

He said the new information panels will be positioned higher on the viewing wall, to make it more difficult for people to reach and draw on them.

"Hopefully it will deter people," Coleman said. "We're hoping that when we do put the new panels up there that people could have understanding and dignity."

He said the replacement could be in place by Labor Day.

The viewing wall is to remain along most of the perimeter of the 16-acre site throughout the redevelopment, which is expected to last several years. A 13-member jury will choose a design for a permanent memorial to the victims of the 1993 and 2001 attacks this fall.

When the viewing wall was being constructed, planners considered the possibility that people might write on it, said Nancy Poderycki, a spokeswoman for the Lower Manhattan Development Corp.

"That's one of the reasons why it was a certain material and spacing between the bars was a certain way," she said. "It was an effective way to make sure that people couldn't actually write on the wall itself."

But brazen graffiti writers left their marks on the available spaces.

"I don't think it's surprising," said Leah Tysse, visiting from San Francisco. "Even in a sacred place."
    Copyright 2003 by The Associated Press. All rights reserved.
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

MembersZone Subscriber
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

That's just really nasty and very ignorant of those who did this. It's really unfortuante that there are some "members" of the human race who just don't get it. I know that it is unrealistic to post a monitor or a guard 7/24, but hopefully the new improvements will work out well.
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

Temporarily/No Longer Active

First I was then then now im somewhere between

Temporarily/No Longer Active

Fallen NJ Firefighters memorial vandalized

New Jersey Fire Truck Memorial Honoring Fallen Vandalized

MARIA WAICKOWSKI
    Firehouse.com News

A wooden fire truck placed in a park in Mount Ephraim, New Jersey to honor two firefighters who died in the line of duty last July, was found defaced and vandalized shortly after the April 19 dedication. Mt. Ephraim FD Fire Chief James Sylvester and Deputy Chief John D. West were the two firefighters being remembered.

Shining Star Park was created and dedicated to Christine Eberle, a local woman who was murdered in November 2001, according to Mt. Ephraim Police Captain Brian Beppel. Deputy Chief West and Chief Sylvester had fought an 8-alarm fire on July 4, 2002 alongside firefighter Thomas Stewart of the Gloucester City FD and who also died that day. Most people in the Mount Ephraim knew and understood the importance of this memorial. According to Beppel it appears that the community is upset with the incidents. "In fact, the town is only one square mile and only has 5,000 residents. That's how small it is," he said.

Vandalism has occurred on a number of occasions within the park since the installation of the wooden playground equipment fire truck. The fire truck with memorial plaques stating that it was dedicated to Mount Ephraim firefighters, included a emergency light that was found broken. One of the two children's benches inside the truck was collapsed. Beppel speculated someone jumped on it. There was graffiti, including some profanity, found scrawled inside the cab-part of the truck. However when asked, Beppel said there was no graffiti that said anything against the fire department. There were wooden fire extinguishers that were hanging on the outside of the truck that were removed from the truck sometime since last Friday according to Beppel. At the front of the windshield there was a cast iron bracket with a bell hanging from it. Recently the bracket was broken off and the bell was lost or stolen. The public works department had to come to the park to fix some of the sharp edges and remove screws left behind after items were ripped from the truck.

There was also vandalism found within the rest of the park. On the basketball court the whole backboard and rim of the basketball hoop were taken off and on a suspended bridge, a broken plank was found Beppel said. He added that this is an ongoing criminal investigation and there are no particular suspects involved.

Forum Member

I have some pictures at home from a recent trip to NYC. I believe I have 1 or 2 of some of these plaques. I will try to find them and re-size and post them.......

MembersZone Subscriber

There is also graffiti at the memorial in Shanksville PA for Flight 93.
    It is only a temporary memorial but that shouldn't matter. People have written all over the guiderails, flag poles, in the porta potties too. Its a shame how some people have ne respect at all.
    SAEPE EXPERTUS, SEMPER FIDELIS, FRATRES AETERNI
    "Often Tested, Always Faithful, Brothers Forever"

Once a Marine, Always a Marine

I got the best of both worlds- Firefighter and Marine

Sr. Information Officer

What a difference....a generation makes.

People don't talk much at the U.S.S. Arizona memorial site in Hawaii. When they do, their voices are low and their words are few.

Pearl Harbor has a way of speaking for itself. In less than nine minutes, the U.S.S. Arizona became the grave of more than a thousand Americans, December 7, 1941. Sixty two years later, the sight of it still moves visitors to silence, and sometimes tears.

People come from all over the world to pay their respects at the graceful white monument that since 1962 has hovered, dove-like, across the Arizona's sunken deck.
    R-E-S-P-E-C-T......some people just don't get it, because they don't give it.

Will Ground Hero ever have the same meaning....or the same impact as Pearl Harbor? Will young Americans ever understand the sacrifice made for our freedom?

How sad...for us and our country.
    Proudly serving as the IACOJ Minister of Information & Propoganda!
    Be Safe! Lookouts-Awareness-Communications-Escape Routes-Safety Zones

*Gathering Crust Since 1968*
    On the web at www.section2wildfire.com

Forum Member

Posted by NJFFSA16
    R-E-S-P-E-C-T......some people just don't get it, because they don't give it.
    The problem is these young punk bahstids defacing the memorials demand respect.. of course, many of them need a handgun or the power of their "posse" to get it. These young punks are nothing with out the gat or the gang...

With over 13K firefighters and probably three times as many cops, I wonder if the FDNY and the NYPD could settle their differences over turf and set up a watch detail for guarding the memorial. If every firefighter and cop could give one hour of their time to watching over the memorial to their fallen brothers, I am sure that the vandalism reate to the WTC memorial would drop to zero. The other alternative is to have video surveillance from numerous angles and try to nail these little bahstids. Licking the wet spray paint off with their tongues would be a suitable punishment....
    Last edited by CaptainGonzo; 07-03-2003 at 12:21 PM.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

MembersZone Subscriber

I'm glad to see that people remember what these great firefighters and victims went through. I have found the a great truth has come to fact....Most People are SCUM, Lower Than Whale Crap SCUM. If you have no moral though to not deface a memorial to those who have died a horrible death, then if caught they should be eliminated so that they do not pollute the global gene pool.
    AKA: Mr. Whoo-Whoo

IAFF Local 3900

IACOJ-The Crusty Glow Worm

ENGINE 302 - The Fire Rats

F.A.N.T.A.M FOOLS FTM-PTB

Thread Information