Rains cause gas leak in Port Charlotte


PORT CHARLOTTE -- Heavy rains contributed to a gas leak that briefly evacuated several homes Monday morning on Beeney Road in Port Charlotte, authorities said.

The recent downpour caused the ground to shift, which broke a 2-inch propane gas line, according to Charlotte County Fire/EMS Chief Dennis DiDio.

Officials evacuated about 10 homes, but let residents go back a few minutes later after a hazmat team determined there was no danger, a department spokesperson said.

Firefighters reportedly had trouble finding the shutoff valve for the line, which is about 50 years old.

AmeriGas, which provides propane service to the area, repaired the line.


Staff Report