Thread: Portable Radios

Forum Member

Default Portable Radios

Just wondering how many portable radios every has on their trucks? Does anyone have any polices or standards that they follow? Does any one know of any NFPA or any other organizations that standards that they say is a "good number". Thanks

MembersZone Subscriber

The suggestion is to have one for each seat in the vehicle/and or initial responder. What the suggestion is as far as additional, I don't know, but you've gotten my "cat" to want to look around.

Forum Member

Each responder has a radio with him/her.

Forum Member

Default yeah

I agree with you, every person should have one. My department believes that only fire officers should have radios. The only problems is they don't always show up and some of them never. So all they do is sit in the charger at their house instead of where they should be.

Forum Member

We generally have 2 radios on each of the ambulances, but as others have said it's generally the officers that have them. In fact, most of us (even paramedics) don't have numbers to use on a radio. We've had thoughts about using 60X1 portable A & portable B for those times on a fireground we get split up (which I know shouldn't happen!). As a paramedic spending so much time in my service area off duty, I think it makes sense to have a radio. Today, there's no excuse for poor communications.
    ~Kevin
    Firefighter/Paramedic
    --^v--^v--^v--^v--
    Of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong
    Dennis Miller

Thread Information