Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Default good medic programs

What areas of the country are known for having good paramedic programs? I've heard lots of good things about the medic one program in the seattle/king county area. I'm interested in knowing about other medic programs around the country.

Forum Member

Lightbulb where to take pm etc???

Kind of depends, where do you plan on working afterwards, if you plan on national registry or not? Otherwise KISS (keep it simple silly) take it where you will be using it, then as you learn it will be tailored to your regional protocol / routines. If you plan on moving around alot go for the rational registry test afterwards, after you've had some expierience, etc. But if staying around "home" use whats at hand, usually cheaper too at an area community college etc too. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Be safe out there, protect yourself, your buddy, your dept., our fellow firefighters, then the rest of the world.

Charlie S. R.N., C.E.N., E.M.T.-P., and if all that fails County Coroner.

http://www.ems.neu.edu/med.html

IMO, Best Paramedic Program In The Nation.

No offense to West Tac but the clout Northeastern's program has had in the passed has diminished greatly in the last few years.

The $15,000 outlay for school is rediculously expensive when you get programs that are of the same quality for a fifth of the cost and still be able to get the A.S. in EMS. Northeastern's program is good, but no better than most other programs in the state. This from people who teach at multiple programs in Mass., instructors in the NEU programs, and from graduates of the program itself.

Personally what one should look for in a program is a good curriculum that exceeds the state and national requirements for a program. By this I mean more didactic hours, and more clinical and field hours than are required. By doing this you increase the odds of learning more than the standards require and enhancing the amount of knowledge you have coming out of the gates so to speak. Many programs here in Mass (and I am sure throughout the country) only teach you to be able to pass which leaves you behind the learning curve when you are out on the streets.

Any program that is abnormally expensive will just break you financially and probably not offer you a better educational and training experience. Nothing against Northeastern's program but as an example, it takes $15,000 to go and when you are only going to graduate making $14 - $16 per hour it is one hell of an investment that will take a while to pay off.

Additionally, select a program that is at a college, 2 or 4 year. The reason I say this is that the new standard for Paramedics is rapidly becoming an Associate's Degree so you might as well get ready for this new standard as it can be VERY difficult to make the transfer of credits into a college program if it was nto taken there or at another college.

Just my thoughts. By the way, another programs that seems to have quite a good reputation nationally is in Pittsburgh, PA. I can't recall the name of the school but it is in Pittsburgh and you see ads for it in JEMS quite frequently.

Take care, and do not just jump into a program, research it and talk to graduates of the program to see what their likes and dislikes are about the program.
    "Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like." Will Rogers

The borrower is slave to the lender. Proverbs 22:7 - Debt free since 10/5/2009.

"No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session." - New York Judge Gideon Tucker

"As Americans we must always remember that we all have a common enemy, an enemy that is dangerous, powerful and relentless. I refer, of course, to the federal government." - Dave Barry

www.daveramsey.com www.clarkhoward.com www.heritage.org

MembersZone Subscriber

The school that DaSharkie is talking about in Pittsburgh is called the Center for Emergency Medicine. Their website is www.centerem.com. They do have a very good reputation. You do your clinicals in several Pittsburgh hospitals ranked as some of the nation's best. Field time is with Pittsburgh EMS and StatMedevac (flight service). I don't know what their cost or structure is these days, but it is a little pricy depending on what you're comparing it to.
    Mark
    Firefighter / Paramedic
    IAFF Local 10

SPJC...St. Petersburg Junior College in Pinellas County Florida.
    09-11 .. 343 "All Gave Some..Some Gave ALL" God Bless..R.I.P.
    ------------------------------
    IACOJ Minister of Southern Comfort
    "Purple Hydrant" Recipient (3 Times)
    BMI Investigator
    ------------------------------
    The comments, opinions, and positions expressed here are mine. They are expressed respectfully, in the spirit of safety and progress. They do not reflect the opinions or positions of my employer or my department.

Seattle, Washington - King County's "Medic One" program. The best in the country by far!

Davenport College - Grand Rapids, Michigan

Northeastern University - Boston, Mass.

Center for Emergency Medicine - Pittsburgh, Pa.

University of Maryland, Baltimore County (UMBC)

Georgetown University - D.C.

Williamsport, Pa.

SUNY Health Science Center - Syracuse, N.Y.

SUNY Stoneybrook - NYC

Billings, Montana (Dave Gurchieck)

The Top 10 list!

MembersZone Subscriber

Although some may disagree with this, I thought this was interesting.
    It was once said that before National Registry really started comming into play, that CO, CA, and KS (aka Land of OZ) had the most strict curriculums from everything from first responder up to Paramedic (MICT). Though I don't know about CO and CA programs, I do know that Johnson County Community College in Kansas City has a very good program with high job placement around the country. There are a few other colleges that also offer the program and are just as good I hear. The class in Kansas takes approx. 2 years and you finish with an Assoc.'s degree. I also know you have to have Human Anatomy and phisiology as prereq's now along with a few other things.

I know people probably would not want to move to KS because of the stereotype we get out here, but if you knew someone relocating to the mid west and wanted to be a medic, then I would strongly consider Kansas.

Last, consider this. A friend of mine is a FF in NY now and he was just a Kansas EMT-B with no nat'l registry and the state gave him full reciprocity without question.

Thread Information