Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default First Fire Call and another Stupid Mistake

Ok. Here is the long story about my first fire call. ENJOY. I just got back from my first fire call (that I got to ride the truck on that is). We just had a huge storm rip through our town and I started to eat my dinner. When I got off the computer I knew it would not be long before the tones would go off. Shortly after I started my meal the tones went off. I stood up put on my shoes, my dad asked me to take an umbrella but i argued that my shoes were wet and I did not want to go through the house with them. I also said that it wouldnt help because I would be running anyway. So he said just go. So I did. And when I hit the first corner only 3 houses up the street I was soaked. (The stupid mistake) Since I could not hear my (still running) I unhooked it from my belt and hooked it onto my shirt when I got 3 blocks down the hill I just missed a firefighter driving by. So I kept running. I finally got to the station to catch Engine 1 go but then they stopped and a firefighter got off for a chainsaw. The call had come in as "3rd and Wilson Tree Down, Roadway Flooded" There was another driver there and I asked him if he was taking the 3rd Engine. He said "I will take the tiller if they call for it" But it requires another driver. He took the rescue and since only 2 ppl were going I said "do you want me to come?" He saw that I was soaked and said you arte not getting there like that. I said "No I'll put my gear on". So I ran back and grabbed it and byu the time I got back to the front of the station he was waving me to get in the truck. So the other fire fighter opened the door and I threw everything in my hands in I got in and "GO AHEAD!" And then we were off and 5 blocks later I still didnt have my bunker pants on. and every time we made a turn I came really close to bangin my head off something the back of 81 Rescue 1. I never did make it to the scene we got cancelled I returned home only to find that my minitor three would not work correctly. When I tunr it on the red and amber light just comes on nothing else. So now it is drying out. It was fun but serious and I enjoyed it to, being a part of the rescue 1 crew.
    Cadet Fire & Rescue Deputy Chief 31
    Monessen Volunteer Fire Department #1
    Westmoreland County Station 81-1

"Going far beyond the call of duty, doing more than others expect, this is what excellence is all about. And it comes from striving, maintaining the highest standards, looking after the smallest detail, and going the extra mile. Excellence means doing your best every day, in everything."

1. SLOW DOWN

2. Electronics don't like water. Thats about $400 right there

3. Do not ever get in another piece of apparatus until you learn to put a seatbelt on.

4. You can't put your seatbelt on if you are trying to get dressed while moving. Put the pants on before you get in the truck.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Yeah, have to agree with NMFire here, I, and everyone else here is happy that you got to respond to a call, but rushing is not a good thing, I know your excited, and you have to walk yourself to the FireHouse, but rushing leads to mistakes, I'm not saying you are going to make mistakes, but there is always that naggin possibility.

Congrats on your First Fire Call.

Hope you take this constructively, because that is the only way it was meant, not maliciously.
    IACOJ

Temporarily/No Longer Active EoneTiller's Avatar

(yawn)

well congrats mike ok ur first call. i can picture mikey sittin at his computer saying what does maliciously mean??

Default It works.

Well I let the pager dry out and this morning I placed the batteries in it and turned it on and what do you know I heard the familiar 8 beeps whenever it powers on. I guess dads are good for something. lol.

"Going far beyond the call of duty, doing more than others expect, this is what excellence is all about. And it comes from striving, maintaining the highest standards, looking after the smallest detail, and going the extra mile. Excellence means doing your best every day, in everything."

Default Oh and 1 more thing

Originally posted by nmfire

3. Do not ever get in another piece of apparatus until you learn to put a seatbelt on.

4. You can't put your seatbelt on if you are trying to get dressed while moving. Put the pants on before you get in the truck.

There are no seatbelts in the back of the rescue.

Originally posted by mvfd81
    I heard the familiar 8 beeps whenever it powers on

did u call up ur home boys and jump in the car and put on the 4-ways and wave to a cop?? that would have been the best day for u.

HNFC FF/President mdoddsjffhnfc's Avatar

Thats just not right Eone!

Anyway, congrats on your first call. Don't you have a case for your pager though? I have an old case for my Minitor II that i put on when it's raining. Keeps it nice and dry.
    Firefighter, Volunteering since Oct 2001

CCFA 05-04, best overall class for 2005
    "GOOD GAME!"

*sucker punch*

Originally posted by EoneTiller

Did u call up ur home boys and jump in the car and put on the 4-ways and wave to a cop?? that would have been the best day for u.
    hey now, that's a low blow, and you know it. it was a stupid thing he did in the past, and as long as he doesn't do it again, we shouldn't bring it up.

as for your story, get a minitor II. those things are damn near indestructable (even though i've destroyed 2 cases), and mine's been dropped more times than i care to admit, and it still works.

couple comments:
    1) why didn't u just ask your dad to give you a ride to the firehouse? i doubt he would have minded driving you 4 blocks, especially in horrible weather. i know your eager to go but if you are running several blocks to the fire house, either get a ride, or ride your bike (been there, done that)
    2) get dressed before you get on the truck. while full gear is preferred, you should put your boots and bunkers on before you leave your gear rack. you can put your coat, helmet and hood on while seated, but you can't say the same for your bunker pants.
    3) hustle, but dont' run. you can't stroll in, but if you run and slip, you can injure yourself. and if you are hurt, you are no help to anyone.
    4) congrads on your first call
    If my basic HazMat training has taught me nothing else, it's that if you see a glowing green monkey running away from something, follow that monkey!

FF/EMT/DBP

ok dr.p i dont need a lecture from you, if you have been reading the other forums you prolly can see a lil thing going on between myself and mike. you should read my signature that might explain things better.

thanks DrP.
    Eone Shut up. lol.
    DrParasite a few comments:
    1. The fire station is maybe 8 blocks and my dad would never have had me there on time to get into the rescue plus he was eating dinner.
    2. The rescue was rollin with or without me I had no time to put on my pants.
    3. I have been running the same route for 1 yr and 10 months throguh snow, ice, everything. I havent fallen yet and I dont plan on fallin either. But thanks for the advice anyhow.
    4. Thank you.

Mdodds yes but I lost it and I didnt like it anyhow I couldnt have easy access to my volume and channel buttons It wasnt working for me.

Default NO But I did.

Originally posted by EoneTiller

did u call up ur home boys and jump in the car and put on the 4-ways and wave to a cop?? that would have been the best day for u.

No But I did slide a five to the junkie to clean my windshield.

Originally posted by MVFD81
    thanks DrP.
    Eone Shut up. lol.
    DrParasite a few comments:
    1. The fire station is maybe 8 blocks and my dad would never have had me there on time to get into the rescue plus he was eating dinner.
    3. I have been running the same route for 1 yr and 10 months throguh snow, ice, everything. I havent fallen yet and I dont plan on fallin either. But thanks for the advice anyhow.
    4. Thank you.

Mdodds yes but I lost it and I didnt like it anyhow I couldnt have easy access to my volume and channel buttons It wasnt working for me.
    1. Oh well. There will be others.
    2. Oh well. There will be others.
    3. You keep thinking that. Get back to me when your bleeding.
    4. Your welcome.

When you break it completely because you were too lazy to use a proper protective case, you can buy your own new $400.00 pager.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Temporarily/No Longer Active dfdex1's Avatar

Mike,

Learn how to put your gear on in under a minute,any academy will make you do it so learn now.

Always wear a seatbelt,go here for a reminder--> http://cms.firehouse.com/forums2/sho...threadid=49332

Nobody plans on tripping.

Get bike or get a ride.

Congrats on your first call,just dont make the same mistakes again.

*shakes head*

Congrats on your first call. Better luck in the rain next time(LOL) Like some one said "Electronics don't like water" its true! Well i dont think so with my old cell phone. I lost in the snow for 3 days, dropped in a 2 foot deep puddle and it still worked like it was new. Again congrats on your first run. Maybe the next one is a worker!
    Rob aka Squinty

The Fighting Seventy-Third

Westville Fire Department
    Gloucester County
    New Jersey

Wink Ahh, rookies...

A storm, a tree in the road, and supper waiting on the table.

Yep, I sure would have hated to miss the truck too.

Ahh Save it for the birds. LOL.

HNFC FF/President mdoddsjffhnfc's Avatar

you really should have some kind of case for your pager that will help it stay somewhat dry. It's alot of $$$ for you to pay if you damage one of those, especially if its not servicable.
    Firefighter, Volunteering since Oct 2001

CCFA 05-04, best overall class for 2005
    "GOOD GAME!"

Thread Information