Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber

Default American hydrant thread name

Can anyone tell me the proper nasme for the thread on 1 1/2 and 2 1/2 hydrant and hose fittings. I am trying to crossover some US Hydrants here to accept British Instantaneous fittings and I need the name of the type of thread coming off the 2 1/2" outlet on the hydrant. In Canada, we used to call it FHT for fire hose thread. No one in this part of the world (Middle East) seems to have a clue about it. I appreciate any help
    Thank you
    Bryan

They call it NST (National Standard Thread) but they also have a corser thread that is called bastard thread.
    IACOJ Membership 2002
    {15}

Mike IAFF

The beatings will continue until the morale improves

Forum Member

Once you step out of fire dept. circles (where it is indeed referred to as NST), the official engineering designation is "NH" for National Hose. The 2 1/2" would be specified 2.5-7.5NH (2 1/2 nominal size, 7 1/2 threads per inch, National Hose thread form.) 1 1/2 would be 1.5-9NH, although it is common (at least around here) for 1 1/2 to be "Iron Pipe" instead of "National Standard". In this case, it would be designated 1.5-11.5NPSH. This will actually thread onto an equivalent size taper pipe thread (NPT).
    TW
    Essex Junction Fire Dept.
    Vermont

Originally posted by Ltmdepas3280
    They call it NST (National Standard Thread) but they also have a corser thread that is called bastard thread.
    hahahaha that hilarious, hahahaha, even if it is true, its still hilarious, lol

Thread Information