MembersZone Subscriber
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Default Religion And The Law

I generally support the concept of protection of a person's religious beliefs, but in this case I feel I must side with the Motor Vehicle Regulations regarding photographic identification on said licence...

It is a bit of a long read to go through all the associated links, but for those who have not been following this from the start, it's important to do the homework too.

I am interested in your thoughts on this one....

Muslim Woman Appeals Ruling In License Photo Case

POSTED: 4:23 p.m. EDT July 8, 2003

ORLANDO, Fla. -- A local Muslim woman who refused to take off her veil in a drivers' license photo is appealing a judge's decision.

A judge ruled last month that Sultaana Freeman must remove her veil if she wants to get a license.

Freeman also filed a separate but related appeal in district court, arguing that Florida law does not block her from wearing a veil over her face in a driver's license picture.

Previous Stories:
    June 6, 2003: Muslim Woman Cannot Wear Veil In License Photo
    May 29, 2003: Judge To Decide On License Photo Case
    May 29, 2003: Checkered Past Revealed In License Photo Lawsuit
    May 28, 2003: State Gets Small Victory In Muslim License Photo Case
    May 27, 2003: Woman Fighting Over Photo Was Previously Arrested
    May 27, 2003: Veiled Muslim Woman's License Photo Lawsuit Set to Begin

Goto: http://www.wftv.com/news/2319010/detail.html for all the stories.

Copyright 2003 by WFTV.com. All rights reserved.
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

Forum Member

Getting a license is a privilege, it is not a right. To get the privilege, you follow the rules. You don't follow the rules, you don't get the privilege. I am in full favor of having her remove her veil for the picture and see absolutely no reason not to.

MembersZone Subscriber
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Default JUST TO MAKE IT A LITTLE SIMPLER

This is the 29 May 2003 report....

Checkered Past Revealed In License Photo Lawsuit

POSTED: 5:43 p.m. EDT May 28, 2003
    UPDATED: 9:37 a.m. EDT May 29, 2003

JOIN THE DEBATE: Religious Freedom Or Safety Risk?

SURVEY :

Should the judge allow her to wear her veil in her driver license photo?
    Be sure to join the heated debate over this controversy.

Yes
    No
    Not sure

Results | Disclaimer

ORLANDO, Fla. -- Religious freedom or security? The argument continues in an Orange County courtroom. Now, we have learned more about a woman who wants to wear a veil in her driver's license photo.

A judge threw out one of the arguments made by the Muslim woman today. Sultaana Freeman, who is a convicted child abuser (exposed mug shot at bottom), says her religion prevents her from showing her face in public.

Sultaana and Mark Freeman might give the impression that they are holier than thou, following their religion to the letter, refusing to lift her veil in public because it would tempt men into sin. But new information shows the Freemans violate other tenets of their religion, regarding lying and violence and that they might have yet another reason for insisting she wear her veil in public.

Sultaana Freeman, only her two eyes peeking from behind her veil, accused her husband, who shows up in court wearing his Muslim garb, of pointing a gun twelve inches from her head while telling her she better not leave him.

On that same day last September, a pregnant Sultaana Freeman told Winter Park Police her husband had thrown a sewing machine at her while she was holding their daughter, injuring her feet. She also told police her husband had threatened her unborn because he was not happy about the pregnancy, that he had choked her twice and hit her and pushed her while she was pregnant.

She told police he is verbally abusive and physically threatening, particularly about her leaving him and taking their daughter. Records show Sultaana Freeman changed her mind about prosecuting and recanted her accusations through an attorney.

She explained apparent injuries to her feet by saying her husband accidentally dropped it on her feet and that she was to blame and later said her husband doesn't own a gun.

Late Wednesday afternoon, an Islamic law expert from UCLA's school of law was asked whether Sultaana Freeman's Islamic sect, which is hard-line fundamentalist, would allow the removal of her veil under some circumstances. He replied that it would be permissable.

The judge is not going to consider the Freemans' criminal records or accusations in this case. She's focusing on their right to religious freedom and whether taking off her veil is a great burden in practicing her religion.

The Freemans' attorney pointed out during questioning of the director of the state's Driver's License Division that people can cover parts of their faces in license photos with bangs, beards, and eyeglasses and that exceptions are made to the full-face photo rule and should be made in this case.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

Temporarily/No Longer Active

Originally posted by Bones42
    Getting a license is a privilege, it is not a right.
    i hear that so much from my parents.

Thread Information