07-10-2003, 12:10 PM #1
- Join Date
- Jan 2002
- Cleveland, Ohio
Locating Firefighter Examinations
LOCATING FIREFIGHTER EXAMINATIONS
* We suggest you subscribe to your local newspaper – even if it means subscribing to more than one if you city has several major papers. The Sunday edition’s help wanted ads is the most important – it will usually include examination test dates and information. In addition, the sports section sometimes carries examination information. Your local library will also carry the current newspapers.
* We strongly suggest that you subscribe to Firehouse.com firefighter employment service. They are the best in the country in keeping you update the fire exams being given across the country.
* Try to keep a current list of cities giving examinations. Once a municipality gives an examination, an eligibility list is established and remains current for 1-2 years. If you know an examination is given annually, make a note on your calendar so that you make sure you don’t miss an application deadline.
* Many major municipalities have a recruitment unit. You should contact these departments and ask to have your name placed on their recruitment list to be notified of examination dates. You will usually be notified at least 2-3 weeks before the application process.
* Some departments have a volunteer program. We strongly suggest that you join this group. This will give you valuable insight into the department and personnel. Most volunteer problems are part of smaller departments – no major departments have volunteer programs.
* Many times, colleges that offer EMT and paramedic certification programs will post examination announcements on their bulletin boards. If you are enrolled in such a program, make note of this information. If not, visiting colleges and locating these bulletin boards will help you obtain as much information as possible.
* If you have the time and resources, we suggest that you make telephone calls to various departments. Ask them when their last examination was given and when the next examination is anticipated and make note of this information. A municipality may tell you that an examination will be given in September, but it may actually be given in July or August. You need to follow up with the Personnel Department to find out the current information on an examination. Departments with Fire Training Academies may also have examination information available.
Since 1950, Don McNea fire school has prepared over 40,000 fire applicants with our entry level seminars and products. Go to our website at www.fireprep.com and register for our free fireprep e-mail newsletter.
Our newsletter contains free information helpful exam strategies covering the complete testing process.
You will also will be entered in our weekly drawing for a free copy of our Encyclopedia of Firefighter examinations and Psychological audiotape or CD exam prep.
You have nothing to lose and you will only increase your chances of obtaining the
best job in the world. Click on our website below to enter. Good luck!!!!
Users Browsing this Thread
There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)