MembersZone Subscriber

Post Drinking by FF Kids

I know that everyone here, that has children has told them the war stories about drinking and driving. "I dig people out of cars for a living I don't want you to be one of them." Over and over for years and years I have done this. Two weeks ago my 19 year old daughter recieved a MIP ticket when one of the 12 kids she was with was so drunk she could hardly walk (sad to say another FF kid). When she called at 12:30am and told me what happened, I was less than impressed. She blew a .06, .08 is impaired in Michigan. When I arrived at the bowling alley where they had been drinking to pick her up, there were six of our local police force there taking care of the situation. When they started apologizing to me for having to write her a ticket, I told them that is what I expected them to do. My daughter will start her second year of college in August and I know that when she is at school she does drink, only difference is she doesn't have a car. I told her the biggest problem I had with what went on that night, was she planned on driving home. Another point I made was that if they had not been caught they probably would have finished the bottle the police confiscated. What would her B/A level had been then? I guess the reason for this post is, you can never do to much to try and educate your children about the hazards of life.
    Vintage Firefighter:
    "The older I get the braver I was!"

Sr. Information Officer

Default Re: Drinking by FF Kids

Originally posted by leadlo
    I guess the reason for this post is, you can never do to much to try and educate your children about the hazards of life.
    If only more parents would take that attitude...along with teaching their kids to respect authority, we'd ALL be better off. You handled that situation very well. Perhaps this will be one of "life's lessons learned" for these youths. We can only hope!
    Proudly serving as the IACOJ Minister of Information & Propoganda!
    Be Safe! Lookouts-Awareness-Communications-Escape Routes-Safety Zones

*Gathering Crust Since 1968*
    On the web at www.section2wildfire.com

As being 16 alot of my friends and kids I know drink, smoke and use some other hardcore drugs. In the past 4 months or so there have been 2 calls for 16 year old intoxacated to the point of them almost dieing. I dont think most of these kids know what can really happen to them until its too late.

HNFC FF/President

i've seen what alcohol can do to a person, and i must say that i don't want to end up like most of them. I'm saying this now...I don't plan on drinking or smoking or taking any kinds of drugs (unless medically perscribed) And i've been holding myself to this. Some of my friends have tried to get me to start drinking, but i've resisted. And i actually lost a friend because of that, but i guess it was better that i did.
    Firefighter, Volunteering since Oct 2001

CCFA 05-04, best overall class for 2005
    "GOOD GAME!"

Forum Member

At least your little girl knew who to call when she got in too deep.
    From what I read she fessed up to the whole deal and didn't lie.
    That sounds like the makings of a fine adult. Good parenting I guess?
    Don't blame yourself, I hope she learned a valuable lesson.

MembersZone Subscriber

I was one of the dumb kids driving while drunk and it took losing two good friends that had left the same party I was at to realize the error of my ways (one friend died the other was in a coma for two weeks and had some substantial brain damage)

No matter how good of a job we do as parents there are lessons the kids must learn for themselves. We can only pray they dont result in injury to anyone. Thank goodness it was only an MIP instead of DWI.

Forum Member

MIP ??????

MembersZone Subscriber

Sorry;
    Minor in possession
    Vintage Firefighter:
    "The older I get the braver I was!"

Thread Information