expvol
    Firehouse.com Guest

Default If you speed it will put a dent in your wallet

hey everyone do you think that speeders should get tougher penalties. I was reading the newspaper today and saw the 10 speeding tips of how not to get caught. One was drive in packs. Well that doesnt work anymore. I am a police explorer also and we have new lazer radar guns, I have before picked someone out of a pack of 4 cars at 2900 feet. These new lazer radar guns are undetectible, very acurate and you can pick a car out of a pack from as far as 3/4th of a mile with the sight that is top mounted on the radar gun.

How much does this radar gun cost?

If the current penalties arent working, then sure, toughen them up to stop them. But if they are being dettered and learning their lesson, then no. They are fine. It all depends in my opinion on the current effectiveness of penalties. Once I knew, only then could I give you an answer.
    IACOJ

expvol
    Firehouse.com Guest

The radar gun is in between $9,000 and $10,000 dollars, that why we only have a few. The only detector on the market that can detect this lazer radar gun costs $12,300!!!

I would hate to know what happens when one is broken

Forum Member

They don't need to raise the speeding fines to get the message across, they just need to raise the fines to be able to pay for these things!

Default How?

How do you become a police junior? That is my other feild that I want to enter after school.
    Cadet Fire & Rescue Deputy Chief 31
    Monessen Volunteer Fire Department #1
    Westmoreland County Station 81-1

"Going far beyond the call of duty, doing more than others expect, this is what excellence is all about. And it comes from striving, maintaining the highest standards, looking after the smallest detail, and going the extra mile. Excellence means doing your best every day, in everything."

Forum Member

Well your police department has to have a program first. Our Police department just recently started their explorer post. So I would say first off is go talk to them, see if they have one, and if not, what the possibility of starting one is. How did you start in the fire junior program?

expvol
    Firehouse.com Guest

Actualy these radar guns were provided by a grant from a government program that is aimed at cracking down on speeders, similar to the "click it or ticket" seatbelt program

We sometimes in our town have a problem with our Vol FF's speeding and wreckless driving while trying to get to a fire/medical call. The mayor of our town wasnt too happy about it. Our mayor told my dad(police chief) to tell them if they didnt slow down they will be getting tickets. Thats the LAW and it should be inforced. If you're in a wreck trying to get to a fire/medical, then how can you help the people that is going through a crisis?

Forum Member

One was drive in packs.
    If they are driving in a pack, isn't the whole pack speeding? Why would you need to be able to pick one car? All of the cars in that pack would be speeding.

Our mayor told my dad(police chief) to tell them if they didnt slow down they will be getting tickets.
    Did the mayor talk to the Fire Chief also? If they are FF's, then it's his responsibility to remind his members not be dumb@$$es. If they are speeding, ticket them, there is no reason to speed.

Are speeding penalties tough enough? Looking at the amount of cars that still exceed the speed limit, I would have to say no.

I think he also talked to the fire chief, but i'm not for sure.

when it comes to getting into your police explorer post

me department has had there post for over 10 years now, in my case i know a guy who know the post adcisor and thats how i got in, all you really have to do is contact your local PD, and then try your county if the locals dont have it, and just ask if they have an explorer post. if so they will give you the information nessessary to contact the post advisor and they will most likely have you come in for an orentation interview, give you the nessessary quipment and after you pass a backround check you should be golden

Default Well Dan,

My friend helped me get into the firefighting and I dont think that my police department or any others around me have one. Its alright though because I am going to take a class Protective services it is a vocational program I will be taking it my senior year.
    Cadet Fire & Rescue Deputy Chief 31
    Monessen Volunteer Fire Department #1
    Westmoreland County Station 81-1

"Going far beyond the call of duty, doing more than others expect, this is what excellence is all about. And it comes from striving, maintaining the highest standards, looking after the smallest detail, and going the extra mile. Excellence means doing your best every day, in everything."

Thread Information