Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Late For Work

Default Late For Work

I have heard about there being a paper out there somewhere, about where your employer cant do anything to you if our on a volunteer fire department and come in late to work cause of a fire run. Anyone have any information on this?
    Ryan

I.A.C.O.J. Probie

You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You must do the thing which you think you cannot do. -Eleanor Roosevelt

Lets not forget those lost on 9-11-01

MembersZone Subscriber MalahatTwo7's Avatar
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

I don't know of anything "official", however I do have a standing agreement with my Bosses that I will respond to all calls that might come in prior to 0630 on a work day, and that if I am going to be late, to call in. This has worked well so far, and I have had to use that "privilage" only 2 or 3 times in the past 3yrs.

I have also left work early on two occasions because of manpower shortages, but that also is few and far between; the nature of the call dictates that.

To gain these privilages, I submitted a memo to the Major, explaining what I do as a firefighter and the general call volume of the Dept. It just happens that I currently work for the West Coast Joint Rescue Coordination Centre in Victoria, (joint between the Canadian Forces and Coast Guard) which is responsible for dispatching all air and sea SAR resouces for BC, so they understand what it is to be on call 7/24.
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

There was a law passed in OH within the last couple years (2001 I believe) that says your employer cannot discipline you for being late to work if you are an emergency responder and were dispatched to an incident prior to the time you are supposed to report to work. They don't have to pay you for the time you missed, but they cannot hold it against you.

I believe the only way to protect yourself is for your fire chief to submit a form to the employer, signed by you, stating about the law. You might want to check with the state fire marshal's office and they may be able to help you........

to mimic what my compatriot '77 said /....also search the Ohio Revised Code as well..........
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

I have also heard theres a form online where you have to fill it out and submit a copy to your employer and plus keep the other copy with you.
    Ryan

I.A.C.O.J. Probie

You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You must do the thing which you think you cannot do. -Eleanor Roosevelt

Don't believe you have to have a copy with you. I know I filled mine out and gave it to the chief. I believe it is his responsibility to sub,it it to the employer, along with a copy of the law if it is requested........

Here's an article about it. I will see if I can find more:

http://www.ohiofirefighters.org/DispatchNews.htm

Here is a copy of the bill.........

http://www.lawrencefire.com/hb203/00-hb203.pdf

I was unable to find anything on the state fire marshal's webiste. You may want to contact them or your chief to get the forms......

I really dont need the forms Im only 16 I was just cusious about this. Maybe I will get involved into this when I get a job. A few guys on our department could use this, I might pass this on to them.
    Ryan

I.A.C.O.J. Probie

Disillusioned Subscriber Steamer's Avatar

There was a law passed in OH within the last couple years (2001 I believe) that says your employer cannot discipline you for being late to work if you are an emergency responder and were dispatched to an incident prior to the time you are supposed to report to work.
    Be careful guys. The law says you can't be fired. Read it closely.
    The act prohibits an employer from terminating an employee who is a member of a volunteer fire department...
    Nothing says that you can't be disciplined in some fashion. There's always the possibility that somebody is gonna read the law in it's strictest sense. Lots of lawyers are graduated from law schools in this country, and they all want to tame the world.

I'd be sure that I was on the same page with my employer. They aren't all humanitarians. All things being equal, I'd prefer to not be a test case in a potential challenge of this law.
    Steve Gallagher
    IACOJ BOT
    ----------------------------
    "I don't apologize for anything. When I make a mistake, I take the blame and go on from there." - Woody Hayes

I'd be sure that I was on the same page with my employer. They aren't all humanitarians.
    Already 3 steps ahead of you. I did that when I first got the job. And since I work for a County EMS Communications Center, they are pretty understanding. I don't abuse it though. I think in the 2 years since I've been at this job, I have used it once..........

BUGGY5632
    Firehouse.com Guest

My job allows us to be late to work from fire calls. We have 1hr to report to work after returning to service. There is no penalty and no questions asked. I work for the County's 9-1-1 center, so there is no problems with abuse.

MembersZone Subscriber

Everyone keep in mind the lean economy has meant lots of layoffs. If Bob and I are equal in work ability but I was two hours late three times and left early twice....Who will get layed off? Depends on the boss some may really approve of the type of person it takes to do what we do....However most HR Depts could give a rats *** there job is to fill the seat!!!

Duty to Act.... For

In Pennsylvania... Any employer cannot reprimand, reduce wages, fine, or fire any employee because that said employee was late to place of employment due to response as a volunteer Firefighter, EMT, First Responder, Paramedic. If that said employee was attending a call prior to time of employment, and made attempt to notify employer of lateness, or came upon a scene while enroute to that said place of employment. That employee shall fall under this act of the Pennsylvania Department of Health.

I know this b/c I was yelled at by my manager while working in a Deli b/c I was 15 minutes late, b/c I had to go home and get dry clothes, after searching a creek for a lost child. I told her that if she said one more word, I'd publicly embarass them, and sue their asses off.

Later I was fired b/c I "was always on ambulance calls" (In my spare time) "and was never available when they called for me to come in" (I have caller ID, they NEVER called, I knew about the ower buying beer for the underage employee's)... So Act 48, or what ever, saved my *** once or twice...

Thread Information