Default Open query for Okla State FPST students/grads...

I know there are a lot of ya'll on here. I'm having a difficult time nailing down what people who graduate with an FPST degree do. I'm still entrenched in a quagmire of sorts, trying to pin down a major; 95% sure it'll be in engineering/e-tech...

Anyone?........
    ...if you put the handline in the right spot, you won't have to jump out the window...
    -Andy "Nozzles", SQ18, 9-11-01

I am currently a student at Oklahoma State University - in the School of Fire Protection and Safety Technology --
    First and foremost - I suggest you visit the website- and/or speak with one of the professors here.
    They can best answer your question.

http://fpst.okstate.edu/

Having said all that-- the curriculum is very broad. Coursework ranges from :
    • Fire Safety and Hazards Recognition.
      Fire Suppression and Detection Systems.
      Introduction to Occupational Safety Techniques.
      Fire Protection Management.
      Design and Analysis of Sprinkler Systems.
      Elements of Industrial Hygiene.
      Fire Protection Hydraulics and Water Supply Analysis.
    Industrial Hygiene - to Municipal Water Supply/Hydralics.... Occupational Safety, Hygiene Instrumentation, Fire Dynamics, etc...

I know people that have gone to work for NASA, the petrochemical industry, the federal government, municpal fire protection (FD)- the insurance industry, research (UL, FM Global).

You can do anything from Sprinkler design, to occupational safety, to firefighting.

Feel free to e-mail me if you need more information.[
    Last edited by FFMcDonald; 07-21-2003 at 09:54 AM.
    Marc

"In Omnia Paratus"

Member - IACOJ
    "Got Crust?"

-- The opinions presented here are my own; and are not those of any organization that I belong to, or work for.

Forum Member

I have a BS in Fire Science from a state university, not Oklahoma, which consisted of the same type of classes listed above as well as many Occupational Safety Management courses. I graduated 6 years ago, and have been in the Fire Service for 5 1/2 years.

The degree did nothing to help me get a job, being a paramedic since the age of 20 did. So, I work at an ALS FD and spend 90% of my time on an ambulance....oh boy!

But, it beats working for the insurance industry or designing sprinkler heads...etc. (my opinion)

P.S. I just found out that my FD promotion committee took points for education out of the test process. I love the ambulance!!! The smell of diahrea in the AM.

Thread Information