Thread: I got the call

Talking I got the call

Well after waiting almost four years for the call from Memphis Fire I finally got the official call yesterday. I had gone for my physical in June and the waiting was a killer.

I had been on the list since July of 1999 and didn't know if they were going to hire off this current list or start a new one. I start the Academy on August 11th and it is scheduled for 24 weeks. I am an EMT-IV and FF1 and in the past couple of classes the ones with these quals didn't have to stay in class as long but either way if I have to stay 24 weeks I will not complain.

For the ones interested I hear that they are going to start a new process in late August or September. If someonne wants more info on MFD's process I will post.

I read this board daily but haven't posted much but I just had to tell someone on this board my good news.

Forum Member

Congratulations, and good luck in your career! It's always great to hear of a brother getting on the job somewhere. Take care, and have fun!
    ~Kevin
    Firefighter/Paramedic
    --^v--^v--^v--^v--
    Of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong
    Dennis Miller

FIREMAN 1st GRADE

Thumbs up

GOOD LUCK BROTHER...have a SAFE career.
    ALL GAVE SOME BUT SOME GAVE ALL
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    CAPT. Frank Callahan Ladder 35 *
    LT. John Ginley Engine 40
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40
    FF. Jimmy Giberson Ladder 35
    FF. Michael Otten Ladder 35 *
    FF. Steve Mercado Engine 40 *
    FF. Kevin Bracken Engine 40 *
    FF. Vincent Morello Ladder 35
    FF. Michael Roberts Ladder 35 *
    FF. Michael Lynch Engine 40
    FF. Michael Dauria Engine 40

Charleston 9
    "If my job was easy a cop would be doing it."
    *******************CLICK HERE*****************

Forum Member

Default Bravo!

Congrats on gaining your badge! Now you know the feeling of getting the call. You will have an elated feeling rolling out on your first calls. There is nothing like it. It could last your whole career. Enjoy and savor it. You earned it. You're the last of Americaís Heroes.

This might help:

Fire Academy

The purpose of this message is to keep you from repeating the errors others have made keeping them from gaining a badge.

Just because you passed the physical agility doesnít mean you are ready for the fire academy. Whether you agree or not, the physical agility has been watered down to be politically correct. Departments know this. So, the training division is going to put you through the wringer to make sure you can do the job before you go on line.

Showing up at the academy is not the time to start getting ready. You need to be in shape and hit the ground running. I often get calls from candidates asking what do I do now? They have been let go from the academy. Itís tough enough getting a job. Keeping it can be a challenge. If you are let go by one department, it is going to be difficult if not impossible to get another department to take a chance on you.

ďThe worst mistake is to have the best ladder at the wrong wall.Ē Donald Rumsfeld Secretary of Defense, USA

Itís not just the physical part. You have to pass every segment of the academy including the final test to demonstrate you can function in the field. Itís not uncommon to have a group of candidates let go in the final two weeks of the academy because they canít master ladder throws, repel or operate the equipment. More than one candidate has been let go because they couldnít start the chain saw, operate the jaws or struggled on the drill ground in the final test.

Nothing will **** of the training staff more than you telling them a better way to do something. How you did it in your FF1 academy, reserve or other department. The only task you need to focus on is how they do it in this department. Training divisions are their own kingdoms. This is not a democracy! You have no time or opinion.
    It is devastating to be let go, especially if you have already been through a college fire academy. You have been dropped as your classmates are getting dressed up in their class A uniforms (about the only time they will ever wear it, except for funerals) heading for their badge ceremony.

It starts with instructors from the academy taking you aside and pointing out the problems you are having. If you donít improve, they will meet you again with other members of the training staff and document the meeting. The writing is on the wall if things donít improve. Candidates that get to this point start to panic. This can affect their other skills. Things they already know and have mastered become difficult. Instead of dropping back and taking a different mindset, they start to panic and withdraw. Too many candidates in this situation would rather go below and fall on their sword before they will ask for help.

This is the time to ask for help, extra training, and check in with those who have gone before them. I usually get the call after they have they had taken the option to resign instead of being fired. My first question is why didnít you call me earlier? Well, I didnít think it was that bad.

Here are some of the incidents where candidates were let go:
    A candidate shows up at an academy overweight even though he knows they will run 3 miles a day, he canít. Result. They run him into the ground the first week.

Another candidate is given an order to get a Philips screwdriver from the toolbox. After several minutes at the toolbox, he admits he doesnít know what a Philips screwdriver is. Hard to believe. Oh, I forgot, they have dropped the mechanical aptitude from the written and added in psych questions. Result: Lack of mechanical ability cost this candidate a badge.

Even though this candidate had been through two academies, he starts having trouble with ladder throws. He has done this successfully 100ís of times. But, now he starts doing a mind screw on himself. It gets worse. He is counseled. Then again. Result: Booted from the academy. The good news is we worked with this candidate, regrouped, he got in better shape, worked out a reasonable explanation, accepting the blame, why it happened and would never happen again. He was picked up by another agency and is wearing a badge.

Another recruit knew he had to lose weight for the academy. He did not reach his goal. His weight caught up with him trying to hump hose up the tower with a SCBA. Result: Got his marching orders because he didnít have the wind to complete this tough academy. Good news again. Regrouped, lost the weight and convinced a department with an easier academy he would be an asset.

Trying to come back and rejoin this candidateís academy too early after a drill tower accident only made the injury worse. When the recruit could not keep up and refused to accept the opportunity to go through the next academy was let go. Another one of those, why didnít you call me first beauties. Even a lawsuit did not regain a chance at a badge.

A candidate did call me when he was having problems repelling off the tower. He would get upside down just before the net. A little mind drill exercise corrected the problem.

The above is from the new book: Becoming A Firefighter---The Complete Guide to Your Badge!

Captain Bob

www.eatstress.com

888-238-3959
    Last edited by CaptBob; 07-22-2003 at 11:32 AM.

Default Thanks

Thanks !!!

I worked full time for a small department in West TN for two years but I was starving to death with very little room for advancement. I kind of backed into my job that I have now as a EMT/Security Manager that DOUBLED my salary and I couldn't pass it up at the time. The money has been nice but it ain't firefighting.

I have always said that if and when Memphis called I was gone. I will take a big pay cut to start out but as you know it isn't about the money. MFD is one of the best with great benifits and 19 to 20 days a month off to make up the difference in pay. In a year or two the money gets pretty good and I will be doing something that I feel is where I need to be.

Capt. Bob I have been running some for the last few months because I had an idea that this was coming and I have stepped it up in the last few weeks after the medical. I have three weeks to pick it up a notch so I hopefully don't have any problems. As far as playing dumb and acting like you don't know anything that is something that my wife says I do well,lol.

Forum Member

Once again, some sobering words from CaptBob. Great advice to anyone, as he so correctly said that getting the job doesn't mean keeping it. Being comfortable is a hard thing to overcome, and physically I find that's a trouble area for me. It can be hard to make time for the gym or a 30 minute walk every other day. Fortunately, others in the fire service around us know the same thing, so the buddy system can help us stay in shape, stay up on training, and advance with our careers.
    ~Kevin
    Firefighter/Paramedic
    --^v--^v--^v--^v--
    Of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong
    Dennis Miller

Forum Member

Default From the Top

It's interesting that the success of a department physical fitness program depends on the involvement and support of the company officer. If they are part of the program it will thrive. If they're not, he or she will find other important things to draw the crew away from the valuable time set aside for the workout period.

Captain Bob

www.eatstress.com

Thread Information