Hollywood firefighter attains his chief goal
BY JERRY BERRIOS
jberrios@herald.com

Edward J. Moran vividly recalls a talk about goal-setting that he had heard as a 20-year-old Hollywood firefighter.

Make them clear.

Have a timeline.

Write them down.

Moran set his own goal at the time -- to become Hollywood's fire chief.

''I wrote it down and I made it part of my commitment,'' said Moran, 49, who started with the department in 1974.

On Monday, Moran achieved his goal. Hollywood City Manager Cameron Benson picked him as the city's new fire chief.

Moran had served as interim chief since September when former Fire Chief Randy Burrough retired.

''It's really an honor and a privilege to serve in this capacity,'' Moran said. ``I am excited about it and being part of the city manager's executive team serving the citizens of our community, our elected officials and the men and women of the fire-rescue and beach safety department.''

Benson lauded Moran's broad background -- particularly his spending a year as the city's interim director of development administration from October 1999 to November 2000.

''I think Chief Moran is going to do a fine job for the city of Hollywood,'' Benson said. ``I think he brings a team-building aspect.''

He will oversee a department of about 300 employees and an annual budget of more than $31 million. His new job starts immediately and pays an annual salary of $125,000, Benson said.

Moran comes from a long line of firefighters. His father and grandfather were New York firefighters. His brother Tom is a battalion chief in Hallandale Beach. His son Dan, 19, is trained as a firefighter and is attending paramedic school at Broward Community College. His daughter Elizabeth, 23, a nurse and paramedic, also wants to be a firefighter.

Moran has many plans, including putting a fire station on South Federal Highway. He also encourages voters to support the potential bond in November 2004, which could help rebuild three fire stations and replace aging equipment, among other improvements.

Moran will continue having employees attend homeowners' and civic association meetings to learn what residents need.

Among his most challenging issues will be running a department within Hollywood's tight budget constraints.

''It is forcing departments to look at the services they are providing and determine if there are any cost savings or cost-saving initiatives that could be employed to reduce the service-delivery cost,'' Moran said.

Commissioner Cathy Anderson said she believes government should promote from within and Moran knows Hollywood well.

''He has been here a long time,'' Anderson said. ``There is nothing like experience.''