Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Default The ugly M word rears its ugly head again...

And this one fits the bill!

Woman gets 18 months in prison for making up brother to defraud Sept. 11 victims fund

The Associated Press
    7/23/03 3:04 PM

FAYETTEVILLE, Ark. (AP) -- A woman was sentenced to 18 months in prison for trying to defraud a Sept. 11 victims fund by falsely claiming she had a firefighter brother who died in the World Trade Center.

Tommie Joyce Martin, 42, schemed to collect a $50,000 advance from the Victim Compensation Fund. She pleaded guilty in March.

At her sentencing Tuesday, U.S. District Judge Jimm L. Hendren told her: "That's almost a desecration, Miss Martin, of the memory of the firemen who ... put themselves in harm's way and lost their lives."

U.S. Justice Department spokesman Charles Miller said two other people have pleaded guilty to defrauding the federal fund, two are awaiting trial and one was acquitted.

More than 2,000 people have filed claims on behalf of people who died or were injured, he said. So far, 437 claimants have received $476.4 million.

18 months? She should have gotten 18 YEARS!..now that would be an deterrent!
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

At her sentencing Tuesday, U.S. District Judge Jimm L. Hendren told her: "That's almost a desecration, Miss Martin, of the memory of the firemen who ... put themselves in harm's way and lost their lives."
    "Almost???"

Default Re: The ugly M word rears its ugly head again...

Originally posted by CaptainGonzo
    [
    18 months? She should have gotten 18 YEARS!..now that would be an deterrent! [/B]
    Unfortunately we hear this more and more...ANYTHING FOR A BUCK. How bout people selling thing's and making money off the poor murdered victims. 9-11-01 is a BIG MONEY MAKER. How sad is this?
    ALL GAVE SOME BUT SOME GAVE ALL
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    CAPT. Frank Callahan Ladder 35 *
    LT. John Ginley Engine 40
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40
    FF. Jimmy Giberson Ladder 35
    FF. Michael Otten Ladder 35 *
    FF. Steve Mercado Engine 40 *
    FF. Kevin Bracken Engine 40 *
    FF. Vincent Morello Ladder 35
    FF. Michael Roberts Ladder 35 *
    FF. Michael Lynch Engine 40
    FF. Michael Dauria Engine 40

Charleston 9
    "If my job was easy a cop would be doing it."
    *******************CLICK HERE*****************

I've stated that here before. There's a lot of people who have made a fortune selling everything from T shirts to books. Never forget? I don't need a T shirt do that.

Unfortunately those of us who have wished to memorialize every fallen victim by purchasing a T-shirt have probably encouraged those who are in this pursuing the dollar. Natural selection will eventually take care of these people!
    ~Kevin
    Firefighter/Paramedic
    --^v--^v--^v--^v--
    Of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong
    Dennis Miller

Originally posted by kghemtp
    Unfortunately those of us who have wished to memorialize every fallen victim by purchasing a T-shirt have probably encouraged those who are in this pursuing the dollar. Natural selection will eventually take care of these people!
    Buying a shirt or a book is not a bad thing. But buy it from the Engine, Truck, Rescue, Sq Company, or family. Make sure where the money is going before you buy. By doing this you know you helped the familles. We thank you for remembering our lost friends and familles.
    ALL GAVE SOME BUT SOME GAVE ALL
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    CAPT. Frank Callahan Ladder 35 *
    LT. John Ginley Engine 40
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40
    FF. Jimmy Giberson Ladder 35
    FF. Michael Otten Ladder 35 *
    FF. Steve Mercado Engine 40 *
    FF. Kevin Bracken Engine 40 *
    FF. Vincent Morello Ladder 35
    FF. Michael Roberts Ladder 35 *
    FF. Michael Lynch Engine 40
    FF. Michael Dauria Engine 40

Charleston 9
    "If my job was easy a cop would be doing it."
    *******************CLICK HERE*****************

i would like to see this lady get not 18 months but 20 years for this ir at least a beating...

E40FNDYL35 does your engine/ladder have a t-shirt? if so how much for it and where do i send the money to?

bump

55 Years & Still Rolling hwoods's Avatar
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Question It's A Mess.......

Plenty of profit taking out there based on sympathy for 9-11 victims. My VFD wanted to do something to help, so we did a couple of things, and got some money together. We thought FDNY Squad 18 would be a likely group to try to help, as our station is numbered 18 and we operate a squad company. Several of us were able to go to NY and present a check in person to the crew of Squad 18. A big "Thank you" to an anonymous supporter at Amtrak, who got us to NY and back, as well as Chief Ron Siarnicki of the National Fallen Firefighters Foundation, whose FDNY contacts got us in touch with the right people at Squad 18. My thought was to get right to the folks who needed help, and bypass the bureauacracy of the big groups. We did that successfully. One thing that I have noticed about 9-11, organizations who deal in collectibles (the Franklin Mint comes to mind) suddenly "discovered" Firefighters. A large flow of stuff started coming down the street from these firms. ALL of whom smelled profit, and would stoop to whatever level necessary to get it. Stay Safe....
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Post Bump...

Bump
    Once again....the above views are my own and not that of my department. (And probably should not be construed as having any real meaning, whatsoever!)

IACOJ

Thread Information