Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber

Default Ladder truck set ups???????

My deparment is finally about to put in service a ladder truck. Well it's a quint accually, but we're going to use it as a truck company. Anyway back to my question. What are some of the set ups on your truck companies, or some of the best ones you have seen. Pictures would be even better. There are a lot of ideas fling around here, but having a ladder is brand new to us and I just wanted some more ideas on things.

Thanks.

Are you looking for seat assignments? Actual set up procedures (dropping the outriggers)? Contents of compartments and placement of tools?

Stay Safe

Temporarily/No Longer Active

You may want to contact the ladder manufacturer and have them come down and show your department how to set the truck up properly.

In terms of equipment and tools for your truck, we have our compartments broken down into job type. Most of our compartments are used for specfic tasks such as operations, saws, overhaul, FAST team, etc.

Jusat remember this very important thing....

The truck gets the address (ie., the alpha side of the building)!!!

You can always stretch more hose, but no matter how hard you try, you can't stretch a ladder....

Nothing ticks me off more than poor apparatus placement!
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Just remember that your "Truckies" have to drag thier knuckles on the ground .

Actually you need to talk to HFD or one of or truckie guys....I'm a nozzleman. But like the Capt. said TRUCK PLACEMENT. Also contact your local depts and see what they are doing then improve it.
    AKA: Mr. Whoo-Whoo

IAFF Local 3900

IACOJ-The Crusty Glow Worm

ENGINE 302 - The Fire Rats

F.A.N.T.A.M FOOLS FTM-PTB

MembersZone Subscriber

I am specifically asking about compartment set up. Shelf useage, SCBA and bottle storage, etc. Sorry for the mix up.

That all depend on the Type of truck the equipment needed/assigned, staffing and department preference. I know people think our setup is wierd, but for our 3 man crew and their usage it makes sense.
    AKA: Mr. Whoo-Whoo

IAFF Local 3900

IACOJ-The Crusty Glow Worm

ENGINE 302 - The Fire Rats

F.A.N.T.A.M FOOLS FTM-PTB

1. Determine your seat assignments (placement of tools in compartments will be based on this).
    2. Arrange compartments by who will be coming off of which side of the aerial and what that person's assignment is.

Here's how we do it. I'm not saying our way is the best way or the only way, but it works for us.

Seat 1 - Driver - the obvious, plus set up street side of aerial (plates and pins as necessary), run turntable, assist w/ water supply.

Seat 2 - Officer - Oversee operations, assist driver, inside or outside team as necessary

Seat 3 - (Street side facing backwards) Inside team - can and hook and/or ladder building

Seat 4 - (Curb side facing backwards) Inside team - TIC, Irons and/or ladder building

Seat 5 - (Street side facing front) - Outside Team - Saws to the bucket or saw and ladders

Seat 6 - (Curb side facing front) - Outside Team - Set up Curb side of aerial (plates and pins as necessary) - bucket operator

As a result of these assignment, compartments are as follows:

Street side:
    1st: Driver's compartment (adaptors and driver's SCBA)
    2nd: PW's and Extinguishers (hooks are on outside of cab)
    3rd: Tarps and lighting
    4th: PPV and salvage
    5th: (underneath bucket) Cutter's Edge and Partner Saw

Curb Side:
    1st: Hurst combi-tool
    2nd: Forcible Entry tools
    3rd: Lighting and Stokes Basket
    4th: Spare cylinders and PPV
    5th: (underneath bucket) Cutter's Edge (2)

Also, put as many tools as is practical (sledge, halligan, axe, hooks) in the bucket.

Ladders are accessed from the rear of the aerial underneath the bucket.

Hope this gives you some ideas.

Stay Safe

55 Years & Still Rolling hwoods's Avatar
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Talking PA..... STOP THAT! Your Image.....

PA, do you realize what you've done? 2 posts in a row to a Quint owner, and trying to be helpful. Jeeshhh man, think of your reputation...... Lox, As someone said already, what do you expect to carry on the truck? For instance, will extracation tools be part of the everyday operations. I'll try to dig up some info on this, and get back to you. Stay Safe....
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Post Woodsy, Woodsy....

I thought the same thing when I saw PA's reply!! But then I looked and saw that Lox stated that he was going to run it as a TRUCK company, so I figured it's safe to enter!

Also, has anyone seen a truck recently delivered without a pump and tank? I think that it's few and far between to see a true truck (like our '75 Seagrave 100 foot ladder) that doesn't have one or the other or even both!!!

PA- Just joshing with you! Your suggestions were great, I think I'm actually going to take a couple of your ideas our deputy!!

Later!!
    Last edited by FightingDevil; 07-25-2003 at 08:37 AM.
    Once again....the above views are my own and not that of my department. (And probably should not be construed as having any real meaning, whatsoever!)

IACOJ

Guys ... KNOCK IT OFF! You're gonna blow my cover! You see, this fine gentlemen was asking for suggestions, and if you notice, none of my suggestions even mentioned a pump (sure, it mentioned water, but sometimes we need to flow water from the tower when the stupid engine guys can't manage to put out the fire on the first try).

I'm hoping, that maybe lox will use all of my suggestions, completely forget that the pump exists, and maybe it will rust and seize up before anyone even knows it (be sure to keep the waterway and intake clear, though).

I figure, once they have it, it's too late to change their mind ... but we can influence how they use it!

Also, has anyone seen a truck recently delivered without a pump and tank?
    Oh devil, devil, devil ... you really must come visit Dauphin County sometime (and NOT just the Farm Show building!) .

Stay Safe

Thread Information