Thread: venting

MembersZone Subscriber

Question venting

HELLO EVERYONE,
    I HAVE A SIMPLE QUESTION THAT I HAVE A LITTLE TROUBLE UNDERSTANDING.IF YOU ROLL UP ON A 2 STORY PRIVATE DWELLING WITH A BASEMENT AND A PEAK ROOF WITH ATTIC. AND A FIRE ON THE 1ST FLOOR ON EXPOSER 3 AND 4 WITH WINDOWS IN THE FIRE ROOM OR ROOMS, WHICH IS GOING GOOD. BUT NEEDS TO BE VENTED WHAT WOULD BE THE BEST LOCATION TO DO SO? WOULD YOU TAKE THE WINDOWS IN THAT AREA ON THE 1ST FLOOR? OR EVEN SOME ON 2ND ABOVE FIRE? AND WHAT IF THERE ARE NO WINDOWS IN THE AREA OF THE FIRE ON THE 1ST FLOOR? THANKS FOR YOUR TIME, AND HELP DEAN

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Smile Be Aggressive........

This is not the time to form a committee. Aggressive tactics are in order here, and fast. WITH A CHARGED LINE IN PLACE, Crew ready and on air, take out the glass nearest the Fire, or take out the glass in the direction that you want the smoke/heat to go. BUT, we don't stop there, we take out a LOT of glass on a working fire. Glass is cheap. However I always explain this to the homeowner, neighbors, and anyone else who will listen for the two minutes that it takes to tell about the importance of ventilating thoroughly. Stay Safe....
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Early Adopter

I'm with hwoods. You'll want to take out the windows closest to the seat of the fire... But only if you're ready to attack.

If your fire is contained to one room on the first floor, I don't see how venting the second floor is going to help you much.

Forum Member

Along the line of what Cozmosis said, you don't want to draw the fire from it's current location into an unburned room, as you're spreading it to places it might not have to go.
    ~Kevin
    Firefighter/Paramedic
    --^v--^v--^v--^v--
    Of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong
    Dennis Miller

MembersZone Subscriber

Venting the immediate fire are should be fine. If crews are having a hard time making the fire room or locating the fire take more windows. This should be coordinated with the attack crew.
    The first line should protect the stairs if they can't make the fire room. In that case take the second floor glass also. This will prevent smoke (unburnt fuel) from building up and spreading the fire to the second floor.

First floor fire no need to take the roof unless their is an indication it is in the attic. Balloon Frame, construction etc.

In a house this shouldn't be a hard fire. Vent with coordination and protect the stairs.

I also agree with venting the windows; no reason to do anything more at that point. Unless its a ballon frame contstruction, then you had better get on the roof!

Forum Member

with Mattmedic !
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Forum Member

I'll agree with what has been said for the most part.

One room fire - windows on that floor taken out, and open up the windows on the 2nd floor for added vent.

But if its rollin', take em out and open up the roof too. Why you ask? Heat and smoke rise - a well placed vent hole will clear out the building fast. It will make the first floor more tenable for fire attack and search, it will make the second floor more tenable for search. Anything that can be done to make for a better working atmosphere. Agressive tactics include agressive truck work.

Just my 2 cents....

Thread Information