Forum Member

Exclamation Advice for Written Test??

hello all, i will start testing for my local fire department here on Wednsday (starts with mile and a half run, then the physical agility test is a couple of days later, written after, etc)

just wondering if anyone had any advice for the written portion of the testing or where i could look up some basic info. from what i understand it is just your basic info on math, english, etc.... not much on the actual fire department. any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated though. thanks again!

MembersZone Subscriber

The key to scoring well on the written examination is preparation. There are not many candidates who can walk into a written examination and score high on their first attempts without adequate preparation. You need to practice. What do we mean by practice? By taking practice examinations. It is like studying for any other test you have taken you need to adequately study and prepare. You can click on the link below for some test taking strategies to help you get started. Good luck!!!!!

http://www.fireprep.com/test-taking_...s_for_fir.html

Since 1950, Don McNea fire school has prepared over 40,000 fire applicants with our entry level seminars and products. Go to our website at www.fireprep.com and register for our free fireprep e-mail newsletter. You have nothing to lose and you will only increase your chances of obtaining the best job in the world. Click on our website below to enter. Good luck!!!!
    www.fireprep.com
    1-800-989-FIRE

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Advice for Written Test??

There are several books that have practice exams that I have found very helpful. The sample tests in these books were very similar to the actual tests I have taken. Below is the name of one of them. You can probably find them at your local library or on Amazon.com. Good Luck!

Firefighter Exams (Barron's Firefighter Exams, 4th Ed)

MembersZone Subscriber

I don't know about everybody else's experience. The practice books definitely helped, but you need some time to work with them. I bought about 4 different ones. Took some time here and there and took a practice test, saw what I did wrong. It's not like you can study for it, but you definitely can prepare for it.

About a month before the actual written test, I took a week off, went away to a friends summer place (it was November so it was deserted) and really spent the week doing practices and reading the books. When I first started "studying" I scored a 82. When I took the actual FDNY test, I got a 99, and I'm taking the physical in three weeks. So, that was my experience. For FDNY, the ARCO test was great because it had 2 FDNY tests, I think the Barons one had one in it as well.

Good Luck

Jim

Forum Member

thanks for all the tips everyone!

i went for a practice run through of our physical agility test that i will be doing for our local department to become a paid ff (already did the mile and a half run) and as long as i pass it on monday (which i will ) then they give you a practice guide for their testing which is the next step..... my cousin just got in with the last cadet class and from what he told me it was a very basic test over reading comprehension, basic math, etc, and is only about fifty questions..... i don't think it will be too much of a problem but i will let ya know.... if for whatever reason i don't get on with the department the first time out i think i will purchase some of these books, but i think at this point it is so close that i don't know if it will do me any real good. i just need to make sure i study when i do get the study guide. thanks again.

Forum Member

Default Really

Luck is given to the prepared. Why wait?

Forum Member

Default Re: Really

Originally posted by CaptBob
    Luck is given to the prepared. Why wait?
    lol, i have been preparing for this for the last couple of years!!

if it were up to my passing of the physical tests, written test, and oral interview, i have enough confidence to know that i would be on with the department here as soon as i finished with everything. unfortunately the way it is run around here is that it is not about what you know or how well you perform, but who you know and how well you are connected in the department. hopefully i will gain a few contacts that will help me with my selection, but i am also the type of person who likes to go in with as much ammunition as possible, hence why i ask so many questions.

if luck is given to the prepared, hopefully i will be lucky this time around.

Forum Member

Default Position

I understand, but we try to place our candidates in a position on the list where they can't go around you.

Captain Bob

www.eatstress.com

Forum Member

Default Re: Position

Originally posted by CaptBob
    I understand, but we try to place our candidates in a position on the list where they can't go around you.

Captain Bob

www.eatstress.com
    lol, i WISH that could be the case.....

don't get me wrong about your advice though, i find myself going back to your website over and over and over and generally follow you around to read your posts because they are so informative... i would like to get more info than what is on your site, but unfortunatley money is very very tight right now and i cannot really afford much other than what is on the main site..... i do want you to understand though just from reading what you have on that site and reading your posts you have probably helped me more than anyone else on this site even if it hasn't been directly from one of our conversations.... i have a motto around the fire service that many others do "keep my mouth shut and my ears open"

i realize that especially at the stage i am i have ALOT to learn and will continue to learn all through my career. bottom line, i truly in my heart and mind believe i have so much to offer and show enough potential that i don't see how i will not be chosen, but at the same time i remember that over three hundred candidates are trying out for twenty three positions..... YES i believe i have more to offer than most of those, but i also know that many of them have ALOT more connections in the fire service than i do. what keeps me going is knowing that no matter what i will eventually get in and that when i do it will be the right time. besides, i am a volunteer already, so i will be getting the experience i desire regardless.....

thank you so much again though and know how highly i regard your advice.

Forum Member

Default Feel Luck?

Well, have you entered our weekly drawing for our FREE Entry Level Program CD? Check it out on our main page http://www.eatstress.com/newpage2.htm

Are you receiving our FREE e-mail newsletter FireZine?
    Check it out http://www.eatstress.com/firezine_signup.htm

Captain Bob

www.eatstress.com

Thread Information