Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Unhappy Gah!! i can't stand it anymore!!!

okay okay... well it isn't that bad, i just hate the fact that i don't know that much yet!!!! i know i have only been volunteering officially for a little over a month, and have been spending most of my time going through the trucks over and over and over and over and over...... my question is, is there anything more i can or could be doing to help?? i continually ask what i can do and if anyone can show me new things, but we are all kinda limited as far as what i can be shown right now since i don't have my FF1 yet. the good news is once i have been on past my probation (3 months) i will be eligible to go get my FF1 and it will be paid for by the department, but i just hate this "hurry up and wait" stuff.....

again, don't get me wrong, i know i should be taking my time and let things happen, i just hate knowing that if something real happens there isn't a whole lot i can do at this point. luckily i at least have my EMT-B license so i can help out in medical situations...

guess i just needed to rant... thanks for listening..

patience is a good thing to have. and I am in a similar situation. I've been a firefighter for almost 3 years. got FF1. got EMT. got HazMat Ops. I joined a new department in january, already having all these certs. I'm still not SCBA qualified in this department (i am still SCBA qualified in my former one). The reason isn't because I don't know what I am doing, or that I lack the training for it, but rather because I've been trying to jump through the department's hoops to get SCBA qualified. I'm eager, active, and experienced, but my hands are tied, at least until I get "the blessing" to put on an air pack. But that doesn't mean i'm not going to let it get me dicouraged.

wait the three monthes. learn where every piece of equipment is on every truck in your department. believe it or not, this is one of the most important things you can do. learn what every piece of equipment you have on the truck is called, all the different names for it, and how and for what it is used for. and after you do that, learn your department's SOP, and familiarize yourself with your response area. if you want, try to borrow someone copy of essential of FF, and start reading it. ask questions of senior member if you don't understand something. if you are familiar with what is taught in FF1, it will make the course much easier.

remember, patience, and good luck in your new volunteering career.
    If my basic HazMat training has taught me nothing else, it's that if you see a glowing green monkey running away from something, follow that monkey!

FF/EMT/DBP

Forum Member

yeah, i know...... luckily i talked to one of our paid ff in the station and was told that i will be going for my ff1 certification in September which actually isnt that far away so we'll see how everything goes. thanks for the encouragement!

good luck and hang in there

Forum Member

Originally posted by HFDEXP777
    good luck and hang in there
    thank you sir!!

i'll be goin for my physical agility test for the paid department tommorrow morning, so we'll see how everything goes.... hopefully by the end of the month i will be able to come back here a paid FF!!

Thread Information