Thread: Mini Pumper

Forum Member

Question Mini Pumper

fireresq77 brought up a point that has not been discused for quite a while. Does anyone know of a mini pumper that can be purchased with an automatic transmition and still drive a 500 gpm + pump? I heard that the Ford F series can't do a large (500GPM +) with the auto?

Forum Member

We just bought a new e-one mini-pumper. Took delivery 1 month ago. It is on a F-550 chassis. We wanted an automatic transmission but all the major manufactors said we could not get it. Anyway we have a mini pumper on a F-550 chassis with a waterous 750 gpm pump with manual transmission. 4 speed with a granny low and an overdrive. So far it works great! It just takes getting use to changing gears again.

Forum Member

Default Manual Trans

Flochief, Sounds like a nice rig. I have not been able to find a auto transmition with the larger pump.

Default auto mini pumper

Actually it is now available. I am not 100% sure what the exact specs are, being we just opened the bids last week and I have yet to read them much. It's a Ford 550 chassis with a 500 gpm and auto allsion trans. Altough we probably won't get the truck as I heard from other members the dealer missed major points on the specs. But, I can tell you for a fact that they have worked the bugs out and 500 gpm pumps are feasible.
    All find out the details and post again.
    With the name of the dealer.

Forum Member

Question Allison

Are you sure Ford can use the Allison transmition?

Forum Member

The last research I did regarding the 2003 Ford 550ís, the only transmissions available were built by Ford. I know that the new Powerstroke diesel (aka Navistar, aka International) was only available with a brand new for this model year Ford transmission. This transmission does have PTO capability, although Iím not sure whether the output of the PTO (250 ft/lb ???) is adequate for a 500 gpm pump

Allison transmissions are available only for the Ford 650+ seriesí.

This research was done at the beginning of the year, and sometimes manufacturers change things during the model year, so talking to your dealer is by far the best bet.

Our department has had our mini-pumper since 1995. Itís a Dodge 4x4 with a V-10 gasser engine. Itís short, light, and agile which really helps in tight spots and soft areas like sloughs. It only carries 350 gallons of water with a Class A foam proportioner and has a 250 gpm pump powered by a Honda 16hp engine. It also has hose reel with 150ft of 1Ē hose and 250ft of 1Ē rag hose to maneuver easily. There is a 1 ĹĒ gated wye for trash fires and small structures.

Having personally put out more wildland fires than I can count, Iím actually looking at ways to incorporate 10gpm or less nozzles to conserve water. On numerous occasions we have spent 10 minutes bouncing in to the fire, expend all our water, and bounce back out to the tanker on the road. Wildland backpacks that are carried on your back can easily put out waist high fire, so really there is no real need to use more than 2 or 3 times the amount of water that a backpack will produce. By actually flowing less water we can spend more time fighting fire and less time refilling.

Unless you have an ISO water flow standard to meet or youíre prepared to lay long water supply lines, Iíd keep the mini-pumper small and light.

PS IMHO the Dodge V-10 is a poor engine, and I wouldnít recommend it to anyone. Youíre on the right track with Ford.

MembersZone Subscriber

firefighter1962,

We use a hypro D30 high-pressure pump on one of our brush rigs. It flows about 8.5 GPM at pressures up to 500 PSI. We use 5/8" hose on an electric reel and a sprayer nozzle like those used by commercial pesticide sprayers and it is just unbeatable on ground cover fires. Best of all, it is an inexpensive and easy to maintain setup. If you're interested, PM me and I'll send you some info.

Forum Member

If you read firenresque77's post, you'll see that KME was able to do it for us. The truck has an automatic transmission and during pump tests was able to pump 540+ gpm. We've had some electrical, and other problems, but so far the pump works fine. Hopefully we'll get all the bugs worked out and this will be a good truck.

MembersZone Subscriber

Firefighter1962

Like EFD840 said, you can reduce your booster hose to 5/8" diameter. I replaced my 100 feet of 1" hose with 175 feet of 5/8" rubber hose. I still have 1" pre-connect cotton hose, plus 50 feet of 1 1/2" cotton hose as well. Also, they make a nozzle called a Ranger nozzle that is a 12/24 GPM nozzle. You'll need an adapter if you change your hose to 5/8" to get it back up to 1" for the nozzle. My pump is a 9hp Briggs & Stratton motor on a Darley/Davey twin impellor pump. I'm a wildland firefighter for the Wisconsin DNR and run on an average of 80 to 90 per year. This set up works great. I only have 150 gallons of water with Class A foam and with the 5/8" booster hose I can stretch that 150 gallons out for a good distance. I've gone around 5 acre fires by myself and still had water to spare. And that's for hotter fires. If they're backcan work type fires, you can throttle your pump down, close your nozzle down some and it'll stretch out your water supply even longer. Granted, my 1 1/2" hose can suck my tank dry in about 45 seconds when run full out. I would be careful if you use the high pressure system that EFD840 is talking about. Yes your gpm is low, but with the high pressure you can blow the burning stuff all over the place, especially if you get in light leaf litter. I'm not saying they're bad, but you just have to be careful.

Thread Information