MembersZone Subscriber

Angry Southwest Virginia Training Site

Here is a link to a recent article in our local news concerning our local dive training site in Southwest Virginia.

http://www.wsls.com/servlet/Satellit...ath=!frontpage

the first link does not appear to always work, try this one:

http://www.wsls.com/servlet/Satellit...cArticle&path=!frontpage

If you dive in this area or ever want to dive here please get involved. I will be happy to forward the email referenced in the news article.

Not only are public safety divers about to loose a great training site, the diving public is about to loose a great dive site.
    Last edited by docwalker; 07-29-2003 at 08:40 AM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Thumbs up Update and Success

I am not sure if anyone from this board participated but it appears that we succeeded. This message from DGIF was sent out yesterday:

This note serves to inform you of the Department of Game and Inland
    Fisheries decision on diving activity at the Pepper's Ferry Landing. I thank each of you for your response and comments to the Department's proposed framework using the Special Use Permit. Based on derived use funding and boating program restrictions and the unintended consequence of impact to the diving community, the Department has determined that the best course at this time is to return the management of the landing to the Virginia Department of Transportation, effective August 31, 2003.

The public will be notified officially through a Public Notice in
    newspapers with regional and local distribution relative to the
    Pepper's Ferry Landing. The notice to be published is as follows:

PUBLIC NOTICE - PEPPER'S FERRY LANDING

The public is hereby notified that effective August 31, 2003 the
    Virginia Department of Game and Inland Fisheries will return management of the property located in Pulaski County on State Route 114 on the New River (commonly known as the Peppers Ferry landing) to the Virginia Department of Transportation (VDOT). This decision was made due to the Department's funding and boating program restrictions to manage the site strictly for boating access and fishing and in particular to an unintended impact to other historical use for outdoor activities at this site. The site will return to VDOT management, and the public will have the privilege of use consistent with the site before the Department of Game and Inland Fisheries assumed management responsibility for this property. The Department of Game and Inland Fisheries thanks those who have commented on this issue and plans to continue law enforcement services consistent with its mission with respect to signage as posted by VDOT. Inquiries concerning this action can be directed to: James C. Adams, Office of Capital Programs, Department of Game and Inland Fisheries, P. O. Box 11104, Richmond, VA 23230-1104, 804/367-0183.

Again, I thank you for your comments and patience as we worked through this issue. As stated in the above notice, please contact me on this subject.

James C. Adams
    Capital Programs Director
    Administrative Services Division
    Department of Game & Inland Fisheries
    4010 West Broad Street
    PO Box 11104
    Richmond, VA 23230
    804/367-0183, Fax 804/367-2311
    jadams@dgif.state.va.us
    Unit #620

Our department sent letters specifically addressing the loss of a public safety dive site.

Thread Information