Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Default Rebuilding of WTC

There is a video at www.wfsb.com on a Windsor, CT company that was chosen to help rebuild the WTC. Not sure how long the video will be on the front page, but it is in the "Top Videos" section of the main page with the title "Windsor company to rebuild WTC".
    IACOJ Agitator
    Fightin' Da Man Since '78!

Unhappy

Thatís nice...But what about the Memorial? I think that should be built first.
    ALL GAVE SOME BUT SOME GAVE ALL
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    CAPT. Frank Callahan Ladder 35 *
    LT. John Ginley Engine 40
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40
    FF. Jimmy Giberson Ladder 35
    FF. Michael Otten Ladder 35 *
    FF. Steve Mercado Engine 40 *
    FF. Kevin Bracken Engine 40 *
    FF. Vincent Morello Ladder 35
    FF. Michael Roberts Ladder 35 *
    FF. Michael Lynch Engine 40
    FF. Michael Dauria Engine 40

Charleston 9
    "If my job was easy a cop would be doing it."
    *******************CLICK HERE*****************

Thumbs up I agree

I agree 100% with you brother.

Thatís nice...But what about the Memorial? I think that should be built first.

Yes, the memorial should be first.
    IACOJ

October 10, 2003 -- The jury picking a memorial for the World Trade Center site has selected a group of finalists from among 5,200 submissions, and the designers have been asked to begin refining their ideas, The Post has learned.
    Development officials yesterday refused to discuss details of the competition and would say only that the public will see a number of designs in the "coming weeks." As with nearly everything related to the memorial competition, the names of the finalists, and even how many were chosen, remain a closely guarded secret - although officials had previously predicted there would be five to eight finalists.

Ground Zero's signature Freedom Tower will soar above 2,000 feet - well beyond the previously announced height of 1,776 feet - under a revised design being worked on by architect Daniel Libeskind, a rebuilding official said yesterday.
    Broadcasters who want to put an antenna on top of the tower have been pushing for a higher structure. "I appreciate the symbolism of 1,776, but the reception is better at 2,000 [feet]," said Roland Betts, a director of the Lower Manhattan Development Corp. who met with Libeskind and developer Larry Silverstein's architect, David Childs, to discuss work on the tower. "The issue of the height of the building is under discussion. It [the tower design] is evolving in a collaborative discussion with Libeskind and Childs."
    Libeskind's new drawings show the building rising to at least 2,000 feet - and as high as 2,100 feet, sources said.
    Silverstein, Childs and a coalition of broadcasters who want to pay for an antenna atop the tower have long wanted the building to rise to 2,000 feet or higher.
    The height comes down to simple economics for the broadcasters - who once operated from the original World Trade Center - since the taller the antenna, the greater the number of households it can reach.
    Adding to the height of the tower could also insure that it remains the world's tallest building for a longer period of time, even as other proposed sky-busting structures are built in the future.
    Libeskind has previously portrayed the symbolic 1,776-foot height of the Freedom Tower as a key part of his Ground Zero plan. But he has shown a willingness to alter elements of his master plan - most notably by moving the memorial area inside the trade center pit from bedrock, 70 feet below street level, to its current proposed location 30 feet down. Libeskind, who has never built a tall building, tried over the summer to force Silverstein to make him the lead architect on the signature tower, but agreed in the end to give design control to Childs and act as his collaborator. During a bargaining session with Childs and officials in July, Libeskind's wife and business partner, Nina, demonstrated the architect's attachment to the 1,776 symbolism when she threatened to have her husband walk away from the project, sources said.

NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40

Charleston 9

Now in Victoria, BC. I'm from beautiful Jasper Alberta in the heart of the Can. Rockies - will always be an Albertan at heart!

grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
    September 11th - Never Forget

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
    IACOJ CRUSTY CONVENTION CHAIR
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

What is it gonna take to get people to see that this memorial is a must and it should take precedence over any building on that site. Our brothers are still there...along with many others who died a tragic death but did so very bravely!
    09-11 .. 343 "All Gave Some..Some Gave ALL" God Bless..R.I.P.
    ------------------------------
    IACOJ Minister of Southern Comfort
    "Purple Hydrant" Recipient (3 Times)
    BMI Investigator
    ------------------------------
    The comments, opinions, and positions expressed here are mine. They are expressed respectfully, in the spirit of safety and progress. They do not reflect the opinions or positions of my employer or my department.

MembersZone Subscriber mcaldwell's Avatar

I agree wholeheartedly that the FF memorial is important, but I also view the entire building as a memorial of sorts.

I think ensuring the new tower is first rebuilt, and secondly regains the world record are both testament to the dedication and steadfastness of your country. It says you can and have come back, and come back stronger and better than before.

The business interests are always going to be trying to weasel their 2 cents into the plan, but the place is once again going to be a symbol of economic power just as much as a tribute to those lost.

The USA was built on hard work, dedication to kin and country, and personal, economic, and democratic freedom. I think incorporating all of those elements into the new structure will be the best memorial of all.
    Never argue with an Idiot. They drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!

IACOJ

Firefighters who want rescue workers' names listed together on a World Trade Center memorial site delivered a petition to Gov. George E. Pataki with more than 65,000 signatures Tuesday, saying they hope he will influence the decision of memorial designers to give rescuers special recognition. The Advocates for a Fallen 9-11 Fallen Heroes Memorial has lobbied for months to separately list the names of the more than 400 firefighters, police officers and other rescue workers killed in the line of duty on Sept. 11. "One hundred years from now, people should know what went on that day," said Fire Lt. Jim McCaffrey, whose brother-in-law, Battalion Chief Orio Palmer, was killed at the trade center. McCaffrey said the group doesn't want a separate memorial, but wants the rescue workers' names, units and badge numbers to listed next to their names, and wants the workers' names to be grouped together on any memorial The firefighters collected several final signatures outside Pataki's Manhattan offices Tuesday, then delivered the petition.
    Pataki spokeswoman Mollie Fullington didn't immediately return a telephone message Tuesday, Next month, a 13-person jury is expected to disclose the names of finalists selected to design a memorial at the site. A record 5,200 groups and individuals submitted design proposals for the memorial to the Feb. 26, 1993 bombing of the trade center as well as the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks in New York, at the Pentagon and in Pennsylvania. The firefighters' group has been backed by former New York City Mayor Rudolph Giuliani, who has said the rescue workers deserve some form of special recognition, while victims' relatives have said that no victims should be separated into a special class. The Lower Manhattan Development Corp. has adopted guidelines saying any design should "honor the loss of life equally and the contributions of all without establishing any hierarchies."
    Last edited by E40FDNYL35; 10-22-2003 at 02:00 PM.
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40

Charleston 9

MembersZone Subscriber

I like the idea of the tower being 1776 feet to honor the birt of our nation, but if they are moving it to 2000 feet why not just make it 2001 feet to honor the REBIRTH of out nation.
    After I'm dead I'd rather have people ask why I have no monument than why I have one

Official Minister of Philosophy of the IACOJ

IACOJ Probie Crusty of the year 2003

I like the idea of the tower being 1776 feet to honor the birt of our nation, but if they are moving it to 2000 feet why not just make it 2001 feet to honor the REBIRTH of out nation.
    US Goverment owns the airspace 2000' and up. Thats the only cap on the current hieght,technolgy is not.

Originally posted by stm4710

US Goverment owns the airspace 2000' and up. Thats the only cap on the current hieght,technolgy is not.
    Even if the Gov't owned that last foot, I'm sure the Gov't would let them build that extra foot.
    IACOJ Agitator
    Fightin' Da Man Since '78!

Mmmmmmm not sure cause then you would get into dealing with such wonderful slow moveing bueracracys as the FAA,DOT,Dept. of the Inteior,,Homeland Security,Congress etc. And then you got that stupid grade school mentality "If you do it for them, then you got to let us build over 2000' in Chicago too."

Now in Victoria, BC. I'm from beautiful Jasper Alberta in the heart of the Can. Rockies - will always be an Albertan at heart!

Thanks for the update, Ray. The link didn't work though, could you repost it please.

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

MembersZone Subscriber

Another question for you. Is the height gonna be measured from street level or will the sublevels be included in the overall height as well?
    After I'm dead I'd rather have people ask why I have no monument than why I have one

Official Minister of Philosophy of the IACOJ

IACOJ Probie Crusty of the year 2003

Default PLEASE SIGN... NEVER FORGET

If realized, current LMDC and Port Authority transportation and infrastructure plans for building at the WTC site will compromise nearly 70% of the bedrock South Tower footprint and nearly 10% of
    the bedrock North footprint. In response, The Coalition of 9/11 Families has nominated the WTC Tower Footprints to be preserved down to bedrock as a National Historic Landmark.

We need your signatures on the petition link below to
    support this nomination to Gale Norton, Secretary of the Interior
    to enter the Tower Footprints in the national registry.

Click below to sign the online petition and forward
    this email to friends and family. Survivors, rescue workers and all
    Americans are invited to show their support for the WTC memorial to incorporate the WTC Tower footprints to bedrock by signing this petition.

United in remembrance,
    Anthony Gardner
    Board Member
    Coalition of 9/11 Families
    www.memorialfor911.com

PETITION STATEMENT

To: Secretary of the Interior Gale Norton, National
    Park Service, and
    Governor Pataki

We, the undersigned September 11th families,survivors, rescue workers and concerned Americans, support the Coalition of 9-11
    Families' National Historic Landmark nomination of the bedrock footprints of the World Trade Center North and South Towers and we urge Gale Norton, the Secretary of the Interior, to protect and preserve this modern-day Gettysburg.

The significance of the bedrock footprints is undisputable. The footprints have an indelible and justified place in American
    history. At this point, the LMDC and Port Authority have made no formal decree to preserve the bedrock footprints - memorial boundaries are set at 40 feet above bedrock, thus creating artificial footprints.

Current and future generations should have access to a Memorial site which is authentic, not merely symbolic. Visitors should be able to stand on this American battlefield. As evidenced in the pictures provided by the Coalition of 9/11 Families, there are beams from the Tower footprints encased in bedrock. An authentic, historical document of where the Towers stood still exists and must be preserved.
    CLICK HERE PLEASE
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40

Charleston 9

Thumbs up

Done!! 3734 so far

Never Forget! #3726 Help make this a reality and not a dream.

SIGN THE PETITION AND EMAIL IT TO EVERYONE IN YOUR ADDRESS BOOK!

Sheri
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

MembersZone Subscriber fallujahff's Avatar

Manhattan is within Class B airspace so the US Government "owns" the airspace down to the surface.

There is no federal mandate on hieght requirements other than any structure imposing on FAA controlled airspace must get the proper paperwork, inspections and waivers from the FAA so that the obstacle can be properly documented on aviation navigation charts.

i.e. If the paperwork was done right you could technically make a tower 5000' feet high--
    "When you are safe at home, you wish you were having an adventure-when you're having an adventure, you wish you were safe at home"

--Thornton Wilder

Last edited by E40FDNYL35; 11-02-2003 at 08:57 AM.
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40