View Poll Results: Does your department have female explorers/cadets/jr's/etc. ??

Voters
40. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, many.

11 27.50%
  • Yes, but very few.

15 37.50%
  • No, encourage it but no members.

8 20.00%
  • No, we don't encourage females.

6 15.00%

Thread: Females

Default Females

I'm curious as to how many of the departments in the US have female members as explorers/jr's/cadets/etc. Please take part in the poll.

it would be very distub\rbing to see if anyone voted that they dont encourage it....
    I havent failed, I've found 10,000 ways that don't work.

- Thomas Edison

Default Yes

Yes it would
    Cadet Fire & Rescue Deputy Chief 31
    Monessen Volunteer Fire Department #1
    Westmoreland County Station 81-1

"Going far beyond the call of duty, doing more than others expect, this is what excellence is all about. And it comes from striving, maintaining the highest standards, looking after the smallest detail, and going the extra mile. Excellence means doing your best every day, in everything."

Forum Member

We have a total of 3 cadets right now, and the thing is I'm the only male, But come next month there will be a new guy, Finally!!

Take Care
    Ryan

I.A.C.O.J. Probie

You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You must do the thing which you think you cannot do. -Eleanor Roosevelt

Lets not forget those lost on 9-11-01

out of 12 explorers there are 4 girls and 8 guys. In the dept. its self with the fire fighters out of the 60-70 vollies 10-15 or them are females. I have no problem with girls being in the explorer post as long as the want to learn and listen to their offices and the old guys/gals and listen to the firefighters same goes for the guys.

HNFC FF/President

we dont have any female juniors, but if a female wanted to join the dept as a junior we would welcome her like any other member.
    Firefighter, Volunteering since Oct 2001

CCFA 05-04, best overall class for 2005
    "GOOD GAME!"

We have one, another female was going to join. But timing issues went against her. We totally encourage females, males, anyone.
    IACOJ

Forum Member

We have 1 female explorer in my full-time department (chief's daughter), and a couple in my part time/call department.
    ~Kevin
    Firefighter/Paramedic
    --^v--^v--^v--^v--
    Of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong
    Dennis Miller

Females currently compose 100% of our junior membership, and that would be...uhh...me .

Default HAHA

Lol@SARfreak
    Cadet Fire & Rescue Deputy Chief 31
    Monessen Volunteer Fire Department #1
    Westmoreland County Station 81-1

"Going far beyond the call of duty, doing more than others expect, this is what excellence is all about. And it comes from striving, maintaining the highest standards, looking after the smallest detail, and going the extra mile. Excellence means doing your best every day, in everything."

Hey now! It's not my fault I keep scaring off all the guys... I can't help it if they're intimidated by my womanly firefighting skills . We used to have a guy junior, come to think of it.... actually, I think he's still on the roster, but I haven't seen him for more than a year. See, they all just buggered off when I showed up .

Forum Member

i just wanted to tell why i said we dont encourage female juniors, its not that we dont encourage just females. currently we arent really looking for more members. we are out of gear, actually we just had three new guys join so the chief and two asst. chiefs are getting new gear and their old gear will go to the new guys. if a girl was actually interested in joining the juniors, and we had gear we would at least think about it. we do have women on the fd as first responders only. they dont come to meetings and we dont intent on having them respond to any fires unless its a structure fire, or a hot day with an extended op's period.
    "Let's Roll." Todd Beamer 9/11 first soldier in the war on terror

"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America. And to the republic for which it stands ONE NATION UNDER GOD indivisible,with liberty, and justice for all.

I.A.C.O.J. Probie and darn proud of it.

firefighterox

you dont encourge them joining because you wouldnt have gear for them?? dont u think that you could go some place else to look for gear? we have 5 guys as explorers, 2 have gear... so we shouldnt have the other 3 because they dont have gear?
    I havent failed, I've found 10,000 ways that don't work.

- Thomas Edison

Forum Member

if they r wanting to join for the right reason we would somehow accomodate them. but we have alot of guys on the dept that dont show up for calls that we are finally giving away there gear to other peeps. plus our dept and all the other depts around here are pretty maxed out on gear and money.

"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America. And to the republic for which it stands ONE NATION UNDER GOD indivisible,with liberty, and justice for all.

firefighterox I understand your reasoning but I know its not your fault and no one in this fourm should jump all over him for saying what he has said on here. I also taking it that it wasn't the explorers in firefighterox post that doesnt want girls. It more then likey the leaders saying sorry we dont have the gear to protect you from the hazards that are at drills and calls that is why we cant let you join.

so we shouldnt have the other 3 because they dont have gear?
    you should let them stay but by getting mad at firefighterox wont do anything for you other then cause problems for the explorers and the Jrs. with the web team and the rest of the members if they still read this stuff we post over hear anymore. I have a question though you have 3 guys with out gear do they help in drills and at calls or no?

MembersZone Subscriber

I was just wondering what (having enough gear for the trainees) has to do with their gender....Why would it matter if the trainees are male or female ,either way if you don thave the gear...you dont have the gear...lol...Last I checked they didnt make gear with extra space for breasts..do they??lol
    Musta been some other blonde...

Forum Member

these new recruits have just been added to our roster and havnt been to a meeting. they will however be recieving gear as soon as the new stuff for our chief and asst. chief's recieve their gear. untill then they wont have any and probably wont be able to take part in any drills or calls that require ppe.

Right now our explorer post is all Females. Our Department is getting more Females each month
    Carrie Hagen
    CGFD Explorer
    HealthEast Paramedic Explorer
    medicgirl532@yahoo.com
    fireboop3125@firehousemail.com
    carebear3125@hotmail.com

**FireFighting not recommeded for mere mortals **

Bump 'N Grind
    Firefighting
    Get your hose out,
    Put your rubbers on,
    And get 'em real wet!

Firefighters
    The Few...
    The Proud...
    The Insanely Brave...

Hey, I def. don't have a problem with females in the fire dept...nor does my dept. Hell, I better not, I AM ONE! If you specifically discourage females then it is wrong, but if all prosepective members are discouraged, I understand. And GENAFIRE....no, there definitly ISNTmake extra room in my gear for my boobs... ouch lol
    9-38 Level Green

Don't look at me like I can't do something just because I'm a woman!

The Definition of Success- Doing what you love and getting paid for it. Are you succesful?

-Tiffani

MembersZone Subscriber

lol....Yah I know Exactly what you mean!!!lol
    The uniforms dont do much for my girlish figure
    either....well my butt looks good in the pants...lol
    Musta been some other blonde...

Forum Member

I know this is the Explorer & Jr. F/F but I thought I would say to the gals that are looking at doing the job fulltime or doing the job right now. Go for it, we need more women in the fire service. As a gal myself, I have been on the job for 3 years now(fulltime). It is the best job in the world and you'll love every minute of it. Personally I like driving the rigs lights n sirens!!!

If any of you have questions about the job, feel free to email me. sl_tanner@yahoo.com

Cheers,

Red

our post has 3 girls and 4 guys. both ranking positions (capt & lt) are female. on our post it seems like the girls are the only ones that show up for anything, we go to all the drills (explorer & dept.) and just hang out at the station. the guys most of the time don't even show up for meetings.
    Jaime
    No longer an explorer-
    Currently Keene State College Class of 2008
    KEENE STATE RUGBY #5!!!
    I shed blood for my ruggers.
    <forever ruggers, forever sisters>
    www.kscwrfc.org

All gave some, some gave all. Gone but not forgotten. 9/11/01

Forum Member

We have 4 female exploers 2 that come reguarly, 2 that can't because they are taking FF1 and FF2. We fully encouarge females to join, we have more than enought gear.
    No longer an explorer, but I didn't wanna lose my posts.

IACOJ 2003

Thread Information