Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 100 of 162 FirstFirst ... 5090979899100101102103110150 ... LastLast
Results 1,981 to 2,000 of 3230

Thread: Weird But True

MembersZone Subscriber MalahatTwo7's Avatar
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Passenger Fights DUI For Steering As Driver Ate

POSTED: 10:54 am EDT August 2, 2006

CARLISLE, Pa. -- A Pennsylvania man is fighting a DUI charge, on the grounds that he was in the passenger's seat.

A state trooper said Derek Pittman had reached over and was steering the car while the driver was taking a bite of a sandwich that he was holding in both hands.

The trooper said the car was weaving on the road before he pulled it over. He said he then noticed a strong odor of alcohol coming from the car and saw the driver holding a large sandwich with both hands. So he gave Pittman a field sobriety test and he failed -- with a blood alcohol content nearly three times the legal limit for driving in Pennsylvania.

The trooper said he gave the test only to Pittman because the alcohol odor wasn't coming from the driver; it was coming from Pittman. Records show that when the trooper asked the driver why the car was swerving, Pittman leaned across the front seat and told the trooper it was his fault because he had briefly held onto the steering wheel while his friend was taking a bite of his sandwich.

Pittman's attorney said the guy in the driver's seat wasn't given a sobriety test -- and besides, he never took his hand off the steering wheel, so the charge should be thrown out.

Court records show that the first district judge refused to sign the original arrest warrant for Pittman.

"I don't believe there is probable cause to believe Mr. Pittman was in actual physical control of the vehicle," the judge told the trooper in a note, according to The Patriot News.

The paper said the district attorney's office then petitioned for permission to ask another district judge to sign an arrest warrant. And in February, a different district judge signed the second warrant.

A hearing is scheduled later this month in Cumberland County Court over the Dec. 26 incident.

Distributed by Internet Broadcasting Systems, Inc. The Associated Press contributed to this report

There is a survey to go with this article... www.nbc4.com/automotive/9614657/detail.html
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

August 3, 2006 -- It didn't take dogged detective work to track down the holdup man who fled the People's Bank in Lacey's Springs, Alabama, with more than $6,000 in cash. The nitwit left his personal bankbook behind. The suspect was caught and the loot was recovered less than 90 minutes after the robbery.
    ALL GAVE SOME BUT SOME GAVE ALL
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    CAPT. Frank Callahan Ladder 35 *
    LT. John Ginley Engine 40
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40
    FF. Jimmy Giberson Ladder 35
    FF. Michael Otten Ladder 35 *
    FF. Steve Mercado Engine 40 *
    FF. Kevin Bracken Engine 40 *
    FF. Vincent Morello Ladder 35
    FF. Michael Roberts Ladder 35 *
    FF. Michael Lynch Engine 40
    FF. Michael Dauria Engine 40

Charleston 9
    "If my job was easy a cop would be doing it."
    *******************CLICK HERE*****************

Now in Victoria, BC. I'm from beautiful Jasper Alberta in the heart of the Can. Rockies - will always be an Albertan at heart!

Brazilian military to help stray penguins return home to Antarctica
    02/08/2006 7:08:00 PM

SAO PAULO, Brazil (AP) - Brazil is staging a military operation involving a Hercules transport plane and navy ships, all to return four dozen wayward penguins to the icy waters of Antarctica, authorities said Wednesday.

The 50 birds are the survivors among 135 that started appearing in Rio de Janeiro in early June, dragged to warm Brazilian waters by ocean currents, said Giselda Candiotto, president of Rio's Niteroi Zoo Foundation, which is caring for the penguins.
    A Hercules C-130 transport airplane will take the flightless birds to Pelotas in southern Brazil on Sept. 23 for the first leg of their journey home, the air force's press office said. There, they will be examined by veterinarians at the Marine Animal Rehabilitation Centre of the Eliezer de Carvalho Rios Oceanographic Museum.

From Pelotas, the penguins will be driven to the coast and placed on navy ships. They will be taken about 65 kilometres offshore before being released into the southern Atlantic.

"Ocean currents will hopefully carry them back to their natural habitat," Candiotto said. "If everything goes smoothly, the penguins should be back in Antarctica within 10 days after leaving Rio."

Every year between June and August, large numbers of penguins arrive in Rio from the Strait of Magellan, Candiotto said by telephone from Rio.

"They are young, inexperienced animals that, in their search for food, get caught in the ocean currents," she said. The birds arrive near Rio extremely debilitated and having lost about two-thirds of their normal body weight. About half die of hyperthermia, hyperglycemia and exhaustion, she added.

Brazil began penguin airlifts in 2000, returning as many as 100 a year to their natural habitat, said Lauro Barcellos of the Oceanographic Museum.
    September 11th - Never Forget

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
    IACOJ CRUSTY CONVENTION CHAIR
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

August 4, 2006 -- These fleas became fire flies. After firefighters finished battling a blaze in a flea-infested house in Milwaukee, they headed back to their engine house - not realizing the fleas had latched onto them.
    They found out pretty quickly, though - the tiny bloodsuckers spread all over the firehouse and the firefighters "were getting bites all over the place, " an official reported.

The firehouse was shut down while an exterminator got rid of the pests.
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40

Charleston 9

Brazil is staging a military operation involving a Hercules transport plane and navy ships, all to return four dozen wayward penguins to the icy waters of Antarctica, authorities said Wednesday.
    And who says penguins dont fly? It may not quite be "First Class" but hey when someone else is footing the bill.....
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

Women Vie For Discounted Wedding Dresses. Ladies Rush Clothing Racks For Deals

POSTED: 9:49 am EDT August 4, 2006

WASHINGTON -- Hundreds of would-be brides and their friends camped outside Filene's Basement overnight, on Wisconsin Avenue Northwest, for the annual "Running of the Brides."

At 6:30 a.m. the line leading to the entrance of the store stretched down the street.

Filene's is offering over 1,400 designer wedding gowns and gowns from bridal houses priced at $249, $499 and $699, gowns that would normally cost from $900 to $9,000.

In past years, as soon as the doors opened, ladies would rush to the racks, grab armloads of dresses and then try them on in the aisles. Would-be brides would then start trading dresses in the store to try and come up with their perfect wedding gown.

One woman who was sitting in a chair waiting for the door to open told News4 reporter Megan McGrath that she was going to have a strategy session, when her friends arrived, so they will know what to look for when the doors open.

Copyright 2006 by nbc4.com.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by MalahatTwo7
    Whats that phrase?

"Don't {crap} in your own backyard?" In this case, don't use someone elses ID in the same town you "found" it in.
    In the words of Carlos Mencia... "Do Do DOOO!"
    Do it because you love it, not because you love being seen doing it.

August 7, 2006 -- About 950 Girl Scouts may have been exposed to rabies at Camp Potomac Woods in Virginia. While there's a only a thin-mint chance that any of the kids has the disease, authorities wanted parents to know that a few girls - eek! - touched a bat caught by a meatball-headed counselor.
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40

Charleston 9

Here's a bit of a follow up on the rabies story:

18 Receive Rabies Shots After Bat Seen At Camp. Girls Scouts Take Precautions To Prevent Contact By Bats

POSTED: 7:52 pm EDT August 7, 2006
    UPDATED: 8:16 pm EDT August 7, 2006

LEESBURG, Va. -- More than 1,000 parents were told to have their child vaccinated for rabies after bats were seen flying in a camp shelter, officials said.

The Girl Scouts of America and the Loudoun County Health Department said their offices have been inundated with calls from anxious parents. This summer, their children attended Potomac Woods Camp, a Girl Scouts camp in Loudoun County. Parents are concerned about reports of potentially rabid bats.

Officials said five bats have been found at the camp and all five tested negative for rabies. The overwhelming majority of girls who attended the camp are in the clear.

"We have a lot of concerned parents," said Dr. David Goodfriend. "Again, parents want to make sure their children are safe, and when they hear their children may be at risk, they get very concerned."

Of the 950 girls who attended the camp, 18 have started the month-long regimen of rabies shots. But officials said they do not believe there is a widespread threat.

"For the vast majority of girls who attended this year, we don't believe that there's any chance they came in contact with a bat," Goodfriend said.

In July, the Loudoun County Health Department sent out a letter to parents asking three key questions:

Was your child bitten by a bat?
    Did your child touch a bat?
    Did your child awaken with a bat flying in the room?

Health officials said they received 550 responses and the pattern of the responses looks good.

"The things we have to remember is no child was bitten by a bat, the bats we did catch tested negative and there's no rabies in the bats at camp," Girl Scouts administrator Charlene Meidlinger.

Officials said the beds at the camp always have been covered with protective mosquito netting, but now there's another precaution: protective screens on the doors and windows.

"There is a canvas that the girls can shut at night for privacy, but it is open," Meidlinger said. "That's what we've got screened in, and we've screened in the front doors."

Many parents told News4 the precautions have put them at ease.

"They took all the precautions they were telling us," said Terri Drew. "So we're OK with it."

Officials said it's unlikely the girls from Potomac Woods Camp were exposed to the rabies virus, but the precautions are necessary.

The Loudon County Health Department said there have been only two human cases of rabies in Virginia since 1999.

Stay with News4 and nbc4.com for more information.

Copyright 2006 by nbc4.com.

WASA Won't Turn On Water For Libyan Embassy. Libya Files Lawsuit

POSTED: 10:34 am EDT August 8, 2006

WASHINGTON -- Libya is ready to reopen its embassy in Washington after 25 years, but it's having a hard time getting water service.

More than $27,000 in outstanding water and sewer bills are outstanding for the Libyan embassy property, and the D.C. Water and Sewer Authority has filed liens and shut off service.

The dispute prompted Libya to file a lawsuit against WASA last week in federal court. In the suit, Libya says it hasn't occupied the property in the 2200 block of Wyoming Avenue, Northwest, since 1981 when the U.S. cut diplomatic ties with the country.
    Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice upgraded relations with Libya in May.

When the Libyan government left the property, the United Arab Emirates took control. But for several years, the suit says squatters stayed there without permission.

The suit demands water service and $1 million in damages. WASA is trying to collect from other foreign governments as well.

Copyright 2006 by The Associated Press.

August 8, 2006 -- A highway cop in Great Falls, Mont., crashed after blowing a tire while pursuing a motorist who was going 120 mph. Moments later, a man appeared at the crash scene offering to help him. It was the motorist he had been chasing. He told the cop he didn't realize he was being pursued - but turned around to help after he saw a large cloud of dust in his rearview mirror.
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40

Charleston 9

August 10, 2006 -- Talk about the catch of the day!
    A 4-foot-long sturgeon leaped out of the water and slammed into a jet skier, knocking him unconscious and into the Suwannee River in Wildwood, Fla. The man's girlfriend rushed to his side and kept his head above water until he could be pulled aboard a passing boat.
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40

Charleston 9

Now in Victoria, BC. I'm from beautiful Jasper Alberta in the heart of the Can. Rockies - will always be an Albertan at heart!

Wink My sturgeon story is bigger than your sturgeon story HAHAHA

Huge sturgeon caught in Fraser River (that'd be here in BC)

CanWest News Service
    Published: Friday, August 04, 2006
    Talk about beginner's luck. On his first time fishing for sturgeon, Cyril Paquin caught one of the two biggest fish on record for the Fraser River. "This is the dream catch for every sturgeon angler," said Marc Laynes, the fishing guide on the boat that made the catch on Wednesday morning. The sturgeon they caught was about 3.4 metres long, and they estimate it weighed 360 kilograms and was 120 years old, he said. The biggest fish caught in the Fraser since records began in 1999 was also 3.4 metres, caught in 2003.

Did the conversion for ya, Ray! OK maybe for me too LOL

360 kilogram = 793.664 143 866 pound
    3.4 meter = 11.154 855 643 feet

That's one damn big fishy.

Maybe it was the SAME fish that was caught in 2003. Not that I know if it was thrown back, but the one last weekend was definitely thrown back.
    Last edited by RspctFrmCalgary; 08-10-2006 at 05:21 PM.
    September 11th - Never Forget

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
    IACOJ CRUSTY CONVENTION CHAIR
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

My family hails mostly from the area around Prince George, in BC. The Fraser runs about 1/4 mile away from my Aunt and Uncles farm. The sturgeon are purported to become quite large (or they were when I was young) but I was under the impression that they had become a protected species due to their slow breeding and growth. For those not aware, they are (or were) caught for their row, which as I understand such things is the North American equal to Russian caviar. Or so I was led to believe as a youngster.

Love from the Altar, marriage made from Heaven? Good thing I'm not the romantic type.

Groom Says Vows -- After Anesthetic Wears Off

POSTED: 10:03 am EDT August 11, 2006

SPOKANE, Wash. -- The surgery was done, the groom woke up from the anesthetic, and an hour later he was saying his marriage vows.

Jared Darr and Amanda McCadden, students at Eastern Washington University in nearby Cheney, were married on schedule, if not as they had planned, Wednesday evening in a gray-carpeted conference room at Deaconness Medical Center, hours after a car crash that shattered the groom's leg.

They said they had not kissed during their six-month engagement.

"I just want to kiss her so bad, and there's no way I'm going to put it off," Darr said, lying pale and on painkillers shortly before the ceremony.

Darr, 21, and McCadden, 23, had just picked up an archway for their wedding reception at the groom's father's house in Chattaroy, north of the city, when their car T-boned another car at a four-way intersection about 10 a.m. Wednesday shortly after the groom, sitting in the passenger seat, raised his foot to put on a dress sock.

The airbag sent his leg through the windshield, he said.

"I looked down at my leg and I was like, 'Oh crap, it's broken,"' he said. "It was all a blur. It was out of control."

With about 150 friends and relatives planning to attend, some from as far as Wisconsin and Minnesota, the couple decided to move their wedding to the hospital and send videotape of the ceremony to be shown at the party.

"Nobody could have planned this. God planned this this way," McCadden said.

The couple met in November 2004 during a wedding for mutual friends. Darr was a groomsman, McCadden was a bridesmaid and they walked up the aisle together after the ceremony. Their first date was last year on Aug. 26, Darr's birthday.

"So many people are just like, 'This is a sign you've got to run,"' Darr said.

The pastor played guitar. Attendees prayed and sang "Freedom Reigns in this Place." The bride wiped tears from her eyes. "In sickness and in health" drew a chuckle.

The honeymoon, planned for a house on the Oregon coast, will have to wait. The groom's release date remains undetermined, but his leg should be fine after he stays off it for three months, said Gary Darr, his father.

"Party like we're in your heart, because we are," McCadden said as the bridesmaids, groomsmen and relatives left for the reception, "and we're going to stay here. I'm going to stay here with my husband."

Copyright 2006 by The Associated Press.

August 11, 2006 -- This holdup man was just plain fuelish.
    He robbed a 7-Eleven in Royal Oak, Mich., sped off in his pickup truck and ran out of gas a mile later. Cops rushing to the store to investigate the robbery spotted the bandit sitting in his truck on the side of the road, and recovered the stolen loot.
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40

Charleston 9

Woman Calls Police To Report Clean House

POSTED: 3:07 pm EDT August 11, 2006

CHARLESTON, W.Va. -- Her home wasn't the same when she came home, but police didn't take her seriously.

Debbie Phillips was worried someone had broken into her house -- and cleaned it -- when she came home to a very tidy house.

She tried to report the crime to police in Charleston, W.Va., but Phillips said the officer just laughed.

The president of the Putnam County School Board said everyone from her husband to her neighbors denied cleaning the place.

She didn't think anything had been stolen but she wasn't quite sure.

Now, the case of the mystery cleaner has been solved. Phillips said her neighbor across the street had hired a cleaning service. They have similar house numbers and nearly the same spot to hide the key. She said the cleaners just came to the wrong address.

Distributed by Internet Broadcasting Systems, Inc. The Associated Press contributed to this report.

DAMN now how come my neighbours can't do that for me too?

August 12, 2006 -- Retiree William Fogarty of Palm Harbor, Fla., was pretty embarrassed when he discovered a $1 money order in a box of World War II-era memorabilia. It was for payment of a parking ticket he'd gotten in Norfork, Va., in 1946 - but he had never mailed it. Fogarty, no deadbeat, immediately sent it in - 60 years late.
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40

Charleston 9

August 13, 2006 -- An Arizona woman racked up 70 speeding tickets in the last five months, a record for the Scottsdale Police Department, officials said. Speed cameras snapped pictures of Francesca Cisneros, 32, as she tore through the sun-baked city in her Honda Civic between March 2 and July 31.
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40

Charleston 9

August 13, 2006 -- Sometimes when nature calls, there's no time to delay, but a Kentucky man sure picked the wrong spot for a pit stop. Michael Ray Hunter, 37, found out Wednesday night that the parking lot of the West Virginia State Police headquarters in South Charleston isn't the right spot. Trooper J.S. Crane just happened to be walking nearby as Hunter was relieving himself. As Crane approached, he smelled alcohol. That discovery led Crane to the truck where Hunter's friend, James Alan Richardson, 40, was checking phone messages. During a search of the pickup, Crane and another trooper found a marijuana pipe and pills for which Richardson had no prescription. Both men were arrested for public intoxication. Hunter also is charged with indecent exposure and Richardson is charged with possessing controlled substances.
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40