Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Weird But True

Forum Member
    Now in Victoria, BC. I'm from beautiful Jasper Alberta in the heart of the Can. Rockies - will always be an Albertan at heart!

Quote Originally Posted by ffbam24 View Post
    PORTLAND, Ore. - Bomb-sniffing dogs being used for a TOPOFF exercise in northeast Portland on Thursday detected the real thing, prompting police to cordon off a hotel, close nearby streets and shut down the MAX.

According to Brian Schmautz with the Portland Police Bureau, as officials were doing a sweep of the Doubletree Hotel located near the Lloyd Center, bomb-sniffing dogs got a hit on several vehicles in the vicinity.
    Police immediately cordoned off the area so they could investigate. They later discovered that the dogs had detected traces of explosives in police and military vehicles that were involved in the exercise that was being staged. The bomb residue is something common in those type of vehicles.
    So as the Portland Police Bureau PIO, is that a "Successful Drill" or a "Whoops "

September 11th - Never Forget

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
    IACOJ CRUSTY CONVENTION CHAIR
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

Forum Member

There was a fire in my hometown a few years ago that was pretty wierd. A squirrel nibbled off some of the wires that lead to the house, and the sparks lit the shingles on fire and the house was ruined. Another wierd thing was that a firefighter owned the house, and was working when the fire started.
    "The sooner you fall behind, the more time you'll have to catch up"-Steven Wright

MembersZone Subscriber
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Cats Uninjured
    POSTED: 7:45 am EDT October 22, 2007
    UPDATED: 11:54 am EDT October 22, 2007

LOCKLAND, Ohio -- A pair of cats are down to eight lives and a Lockland police officer is recovering at home from injuries suffered when his cruiser hit a building early Monday morning.

Investigators said the officer was driving to back up officers responding to another call when he swerved to avoid the cats in the road, WLWT-TV in Cincinnati reported.

Police said the officer lost control, hit a car and a tree before the nose of the cruiser rammed through the side of a building. The officer, who has not been named, was treated for minor injuries at Bethesda North Hospital and released.

The cats were not injured. The crash remained under investigation Monday.

Distributed by Internet Broadcasting.
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Update on post #2545

He's dead Jim.

Story Updated: Oct 23, 2007 at 11:00 AM PDT
    By Associated Press
    SEATTLE (AP) - A man who was shot at a Highway 2 rest stop near Leavenworth died over the weekend at a Seattle hospital.

Jay Kneer, 45, had been shot in the head Oct. 11 while demanding a ride.

The Chelan County sheriff's office declined to pursue criminal charges against a 66-year-old Lynnwood man who admitted shooting Kneer.

Dennis Shaw told investigators that Kneer grew angry and swung a whiskey bottle at him when Shaw refused to give him a ride.

Shaw says he fired the gun in an attempt to scare Kneer away.

MembersZone Subscriber

Space elevator prize eludes Saskatchewan team

Darren Bernhardt, CanWest News Service Published: Wednesday, October 24, 2007

SASKATOON -- A team of engineers from Saskatoon came within four seconds of winning a half-million-dollar prize in a NASA-sponsored competition to build a model of a space elevator.

For the third consecutive year, the University of Saskatchewan Space Design Team placed first in Elevator: 2010, also called the Spaceward Games.

But for the third straight year, it appears they came a breath shy of reaping the reward.

Competitors had to build a robotic climber capable of ascending a strand of carbon-fibre ribbon suspended from an overhead crane. The climber had to use a wireless power source on the way up but descend in a controlled fashion on its own.

The team reached the top of the 120-metre ribbon in 54 seconds. The allotted time was 50 seconds.

Officials are re-measuring the ribbon length and double-checking the final results, but Saskatchewan team president Clayton Ruszkowski wasn't holding his breath.

"It was close, but we've still shown what we can do. It's not just luck that we've won three times in a row," he said from Salt Lake City, Utah, where the three-day event was held this past weekend.

Still, Ruszkowski hailed this year's event as a success. Only one of the other 21 teams from around the globe reached the top and they were 30 seconds slower.

The team's performance this year has earned members an invitation to speak at an aerospace conference in Europe.

Last year, the Saskatchewan team aimed a high-powered spotlight on their craft's solar panels to make it climb. This year, they developed a laser that could track the craft autonomously. Unfortunately, the solar cells malfunctioned and the team was forced to use back-up panels, which added to the overall weight.

The games are intended to encourage research into creating a way to transport payloads and people into orbit without using costly rockets. Ultimately, the idea is to have one end of the ribbon tethered to the Earth and the other end connected to a counterweight in space. As the Earth rotates, the tether would be held taut and vehicles would travel up the ribbon like a conventional elevator on a cable, powered by a beam of energy projected from Earth.

Times Colonist (Victoria) 2007

I have a SF book of short stories at home, with a story that includes a description of a similar device.
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

MembersZone Subscriber

Perty kuul

27 Years Later, Wedding Pictures Delivered. Photographer Finds Album Stored Away

POSTED: 11:18 am EDT October 24, 2007

MANSFIELD, Ohio -- Karen and Mark Cline finally have their wedding photos -- just in time for their 27th anniversary.

They were just teenagers when they got married, and they didn't have enough money to pay the photographer the $150 they owed him. So they never got the photos.

Last week, the photographer tracked Karen Cline down at the diner where she works in Ohio, and surprised her with a photo album.

Photographer Jim Wagner, who's now 80, said he was cleaning out some old things and found it. He said he knew the Clines "didn't have any money back then," and that he "just thought she might like to have it."

Cline said when he showed up with the photos, she "just stood there and cried and cried and hugged him."

She also wrote him a check for $150.

Copyright 2007 by The Associated Press.

====

Stick a sock in it has a whole different meaning for dogs. Underwear, pantyhose also top list of pets' favourite treats

Sharon Kirkey, CanWest News Service Published: Thursday, October 25, 2007

If you swear your dryer is eating your socks, have your dog X-rayed.

According to an American pet insurer, socks top the 10 most common items surgically removed from pets.

Dogs and cats also have a predilection for lingerie, with underwear and pantyhose ranking second and third respectively.

Other digested foreign objects for which pet-owners have made medical claims include swallowed pagers, hearing aids, drywall, batteries, rubber bands, toy cars, hair ties and sand with bacon grease poured on it, according to Veterinary Pet Insurance.

The one thing not on the list: your kid's homework.

"I've seen rocks, stones, golf balls, Popsicle sticks," says Dr. Wayne Eldridge, a San Antonio, Texas, veterinarian who, for teaching purposes, keeps a small museum of items he's removed from animal intestines. "Leftover paper plates, wooden skewers."

Dogs have highly developed olfactory senses. They like things in their mouths that have a scent, and they gravitate toward items that smell like their owners, says Eldridge, a field representative for Veterinary Pet Insurance.

"Underclothing and socks are very likely to be tempting."

Canadian pets are no more discriminating. Ottawa vet Dr. Miki Shibata has removed tennis balls, golf balls, marbles, peach pits, chewy rope toys and pennies from pets' gastrointestinal tracts.

Canadian pennies minted between 1997 and 2001, and American pennies minted after 1982, both of which contain zinc, are particularly hazardous. If not treated, they can cause fatal hemolytic anemia, where red blood cells are broken down and destroyed.

Stones are among the most common items ingested by dogs.

"I've seen dogs with stomachs so full of stones I've had to open them up and physically take them out, they're so loaded down," says Dr. Lynn Webster, chief veterinary officer with Pet Plan Insurance in Winnipeg.

Small items can pass through pets naturally, but larger items can get stuck in the stomach or intestinal tract, causing an obstruction that can lead to pain, vomiting or internal damage requiring emergency surgery.

"Another thing we see is string gut," Shibata says. If a pet ingests a "linear foreign body" such as dental floss, string or Christmas tree tinsel, it can tighten like a purse string around the intestine and saw through it.

"It can be huge surgery from the standpoint [of] how much bowel is viable and how much can be removed," Webster says.

In some cases, removing a swallowed object can be as simple as "going down with an endoscope, getting hold of what's in the stomach and pulling it out through the mouth," Webster says.

Bored or anxious pets, pets under two and Labrador retrievers, which are "very orally oriented because of their retrieving nature," Eldridge says, are among those pets most likely to swallow items they shouldn't.

Signs that a pet may have swallowed something inedible and needs to see a vet include continual vomiting, dry heaving or coughing.

- - -

COMMON ITEMS REMOVED SURGICALLY FROM PETS

1. Socks

2. Underwear

3. Pantyhose

4. Rocks

5. Balls

6. Chew toys

7. Corncobs

8. Bones

9. Hair ties/ribbon

10. Sticks

Last edited by MalahatTwo7; 10-25-2007 at 01:56 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Yoda Stamp Makes Debut. Jedi Master Won Fan Vote

POSTED: 5:15 pm EDT October 25, 2007

WASHINGTON -- Buy these stamps, you will.

The U.S. Postal Service sought to harness the force Thursday, releasing a new postage stamp featuring Star Wars' enigmatic Yoda, known for his odd syntax as well as his wisdom.

The Jedi master's stamp was originally part of a multi-stamp Star Wars set and is now available as an individual stamp following a public vote on which of that set should receive special attention.

Also on Thursday the post office released its annual Christmas and holiday stamps.

The set of four holiday stamps features classic wintertime knitting design imagery.

"The new holiday stamps provide another way for people to express warm winter greetings on all their mailings sent this season to family, friends or customers, " said Katherine C. Tobin, a member of the post office's governing board.

Inspired by traditional Norwegian sweaters, the stamps include a stag, a snow-dappled evergreen tree, a snowman sporting a top hat and a whimsical teddy bear.

The Christmas stamp is a traditional Madonna and child. This year's image is from Bernardino Luini's "Madonna of the Carnation," painted around 1515 and now part of the collection at the National Gallery of Art.

All of the new stamps carry the current 41-cent first-class rate and had their first day of issue ceremonies at a stamp show in New York.

Attached Images Attached Images  

Forum Member

They should've combined the holiday and Yoda stamps....picture Yoda wearing a Santa hat.....

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by firecat1 View Post
    They should've combined the holiday and Yoda stamps....picture Yoda wearing a Santa hat.....
    HAHAHAAHAAA tooo FUNNY!!!

Forum Member

Default Parrot on patrol :)

MUNCIE, Ind. (Oct. 23) - A noisy parrot that likes to imitate sounds helped save a man and his son from a house fire by mocking a smoke alarm, the bird's owner says.

Shannon Conwell, 33, said he and his 9-year-old son fell asleep on the couch while watching a movie. They awoke about 3 a.m. Friday to find their home on fire after hearing the family's Amazon parrot, Peanut, imitating a fire alarm.

"He was really screaming his head off," Conwell said.

The smoke alarm had activated, but it was the bird's call that caught Conwell's attention.

"I grabbed my son and my bird, and got out of the house," he said.

The fire destroyed the home's dining room, kitchen and bedroom, Muncie fire officials said. It remains under investigation.

Aside from Peanut, Conwell said the fact that he and his son fell asleep on the couch helped save them. They may not have heard the alarm or the bird if they were asleep in their bedrooms.

Conwell said he runs an air conditioner and a breathing machine in his bedroom and they drown out a lot of noise around the house.

Forum Member

Default Unbelievable!

From a pop-up that didn't get blocked......

"Need a doctors note to get out of writing that big test? Or do you just want a refund on your unused gym membership without the pentaly? The Excused Absence Network has your back. For around $25, students and employees can buy excuse notes that appear to come from doctors or hospitals. Other options include a fake jury summons or an authentic-looking funeral service program complete with comforting poems and a list of pallbearers."

MembersZone Subscriber

That story is actually a headline in the "Weird News" of NBC 4 online. It seemed too bizarre even for me to read. LOL

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by MalahatTwo7 View Post
    That story is actually a headline in the "Weird News" of NBC 4 online. It seemed too bizarre even for me to read. LOL
    Crazy! What I'm curious about tho is, has anybody been stupid enough to actually send $$ for this? Just too stupid for words!

MembersZone Subscriber

Crazy! What I'm curious about tho is, has anybody been stupid enough to actually send $$ for this? Just too stupid for words!
    So you don't think I will get my "call in dead to work" paperwork??

Damn, where did I put that phone number now.......
    Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
    http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
    EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dickey View Post
    So you don't think I will get my "call in dead to work" paperwork??

Damn, where did I put that phone number now.......
    Just make sure you get it notarized.

MembersZone Subscriber

Police: Daughter Calls 911 On Speeding Dad
    Three Teenage Passengers Include Man's Two Daughters

POSTED: 9:52 am EDT October 30, 2007
    UPDATED: 11:16 am EDT October 30, 2007

A teenager called 911 after her father reached triple-digit speeds while driving drunk with two other teens also as passengers, authorities said.

Authorities said Robert Montoya, 52, was drunk behind the wheel with three teenage girls trapped inside, two of them his daughters.

One of the daughters made the frantic call to 911 as she attempted to get her dad to pull over. Dispatchers described the girls as being very frightened, KOAT-TV in Albuquerque reported.

The car was heading north on Highway 41 toward the small town of Galisteo, but as the girls pleaded with Montoya to stop, he only went faster, authorities said.

During the 911 call, the operator instructed the caller, "Tell him to pull over."

The caller replied, "I'm trying; he's, like, going 100 now."

The ride ended in Galisteo, where police took Montoya into custody and found that he had been in trouble with the law before.

"Mr. Montoya has five previous DWI arrests," Santa Fe County Sheriff Greg Solano said.

Solano said Montoya admitted to drinking a six-pack of beer while waiting for the girls at a pumpkin patch. A closed can of beer was found in the vehicle.

Solano said officers could not complete a sobriety test on Montoya because he could not stand without possibly falling down.

Montoya is charged with one count of DWI and three counts of abandonment or abuse of a child.

Authorities said they hope being turned in by his daughter will keep Montoya from similar incidents in the future.

"They did the right thing, and hopefully they made a difference in their father's life and hopefully their father will live on to be a father in the future," Solano said..

Distributed by Internet Broadcasting.

MembersZone Subscriber

Try to explain this one to your medical insurance agent:

Hunting Dog Shoots Man In Leg. Dog Steps On Gun, Trips Trigger

POSTED: 3:04 pm EDT October 30, 2007

DES MOINES, Iowa -- A hunter was recovering Tuesday after he was shot in the leg at close range by his dog, who stepped on his shotgun and tripped the trigger, an official said.

James Harris, 37, of Tama, was hit in the calf Saturday, the opening day of pheasant season, said Alan Foster, a spokesman with the Iowa Department of Natural Resources.

"He had surgery and is doing pretty well," he said. "He took between 100-120 pellets in about a 4-inch circle to his calf."

Harris was listed in good condition Tuesday, officials at University Hospitals in Iowa City said.

Harris was hunting with a group about three miles north of Grinnell.

The group shot a bird, and when Harris went to get it, he put his gun on the ground and crossed a fence.

As he crossed the fence, his hunting dog stepped on the gun, Foster said.

The gun was about 3 feet away from his leg.

"The muzzle velocity is so great that the pellets don't have a chance to spread out," he said.

No one else was hurt, and the dog was not injured.

Foster said no citations have been issued.

Copyright 2007 by The Associated Press

Forum Member

Foster said no citations have been issued.

[/b][/color]
    "And on this issue of Canine Court the dog claims it was an accident..."

MembersZone Subscriber

"And on this issue of Canine Court the dog claims it was an accident..."
    NO! He claims 1) he was not there at the time in question nor on that date. 2) He also states that he was out of town that day and has receipts to prove it, however it will take min 24 hours to produce them. 3) the cat did it.

Forum Member

NO! He claims 1) he was not there at the time in question nor on that date. 2) He also states that he was out of town that day and has receipts to prove it, however it will take min 24 hours to produce them. 3) the cat did it.
    *'cat slinks away with a Cheshire grin..........*

MembersZone Subscriber

*'cat slinks away with a Cheshire grin..........*
    AHA! I KNEW IT!

Forum Member

An American couple turned the tables on a burglar they caught ransacking their home by dispensing their own summary justice.

Without waiting for the law to arrive, the pair doled out their own punishment to the surprised criminal - they made him clean up the house at gunpoint!

The unlucky burglar was caught red-handed when Adrian and Tiffany McKinnon returned to their house near Montgomery, Alabama, after a week away.

To their dismay they discovered their home had been plundered.
    "Tears just rolled down my face as I walked in and saw everything gone and piles of trash all over my home," Mrs. McKinnon told her local newspaper the Montgomery Advertiser.

When her husband walked into another room to check what was missing he came face to face with the burglar, who was wearing one of Mr. McKinnon's hats.

"My husband Adrian caught the thief red-handed in our home. And what is even crazier, the man even had my husband's hat sitting right on his head," Mrs. McKinnon said.

Mr. McKinnon held suspect Tajuan Bullock at gunpoint and made him sit down until he decided what to do.

"We made this man clean up all the mess he made, piles of stuff, he had thrown out of my drawers and cabinets onto the floor," Mrs. McKinnon said.

When the police arrived the work-shy burglar had the cheek to complain to them - about having to clean up his mess at gunpoint.

"This man had the nerve to raise sand about us making him clean up the mess he made in my house," said Mrs McKinnon.

But the police officer laughed at Bullock when he complained and told him that anybody else would have shot him dead.

Bullock was arrested on burglary and theft charges and was held in Montgomery County Detention Facility.

A police spokesman said the victims were lucky to be able to catch the suspect in the act and hold him until police arrived. It was an unusual case because usually burglars struck while the homeowner was away and were in and out fast so they could quickly sell the stolen items, the spokesman added.

MembersZone Subscriber

TTTOOOOOOO FUNNY : I like it!

MembersZone Subscriber

Pants-Dropping, Coin-Flipping Incidents Cost Va. Judge His Job

POSTED: 7:05 pm EDT November 2, 2007

RICHMOND, Va -- A Virginia judge's antics prompted a Virginia Supreme Court to remove him from the bench on Friday.

The court said Judge James Michael Shull's actions of ordering a woman to drop her pants and flipping a coin to decide a custody case, failed to uphold the dignity of the judiciary.

The court acted on a complaint by the Judicial Inquiry and Review Commission.

"Unless our citizens can trust that judges will fairly resolve the disputes brought before our courts, and treat all litigants with dignity, our courts will lose the public's respect and confidence upon which our legal system depends," Justice Barbara Milano Keenan wrote in the unanimous opinion.

Shull is only the second judge removed from the bench since the commission was created in 1971 to investigate complaints of judicial misconduct. His attorney, Russell V. Palmore, did not immediately return a phone call seeking comment.

According to the court, Shull admitted tossing a coin to determine which parent would have visitation with a child on Christmas. Shull said he was trying to encourage the parents to decide the issue themselves but later acknowledged that he was wrong.

"A judge's act of tossing a coin in a courtroom to decide a legal issue pending before the court suggests that courts do not decide cases on their merits but instead subject litigants to games of chance in serious matters without regard to the evidence or applicable law," the court said.

The pants-dropping incidents, the court said, "were even more egregious."

Those incidents occurred during a hearing in which a woman was seeking a protective order against a partner who, according to the woman, had stabbed her in the leg. Shull knew the woman had a history of mental problems and insisted on seeing the wound, the court said.

The woman dropped her pants once to display the wound, then a second time after Shull left the bench for a closer look to determine whether the woman had received stitches.

A court bailiff testified before the commission that after the hearing, he asked Shull, "Did you see what that lady had on?" According to the bailiff, Shull replied: "Yeah, a black lacy thing ... it looked good, didn't it?"

Shull denied making the comment.

The court also said the judge violated judicial ethics standards by going into his chambers and calling a hospital emergency room about the woman's stab wound without the litigants being present.

The justices could have merely censured Shull, but they noted that he had appeared before the commission in 2004 for allegedly calling a teenager a "mama's boy" and a "wuss" and advising a woman to marry her abusive boyfriend. That complaint was dismissed with an admonition to Shull to chalk it up as a learning experience.

"We are forced to observe that Judge Shull did not heed the commission's advice but has continued to demean litigants appearing before him," Keenan wrote. "The misconduct before us in the present charges indicates that Judge Shull's courtroom conduct has become far worse than it was when he first appeared before the Commission in 2004."

MembersZone Subscriber

"Ahh Mom. I'm OVER HERE!"

Son turns up alive after cremation

Reuters Published: Tuesday, November 06, 2007

LONDON (Reuters) -- A mother cremated a body she thought was that of her dead son, only for him to turn up alive later, police said.

Gina Partington's 37-year-old son Thomas Dennison was reported missing last month and a body was found in Rusholme, Manchester, three days later.

The 58-year-old mother, from Urmston, Greater Manchester, identified the body as that of her son and, following an inquest, the body was cremated on Oct. 30.

But police had found Dennison, living rough in Nottingham, four days earlier.

So just WHO did she identify/cremate?????

Thread Information