Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Weird But True

MembersZone Subscriber
    Maryland (but always a Long Islander first)

I was waiting for someone else to post this story, but it just got a whole lot more interesting since it happened twice!

Bank Hands Disguised Thief $500,000
    Two Such Heists in Two Days

By Ernesto Londoro and Carrie Johnson
    Washington Post Staff Writers
    Friday, January 11, 2008; 3:13 PM

A man walked into a BB&T bank in Wheaton on Wednesday dressed as a armored truck employee, was handed more than $500,000 in cash, and walked out -- the second reported such bank heist in as many days in the Washington area.

It wasn't until the real security guards walked in that bank officials realized they'd been had, an FBI spokesman said today.

"When the real security guards showed up is when it became known," FBI spokesman Richard Wolf said.

Yesterday, a man dressed as an armored truck guard walked away with more than $100,000 from a Wachovia branch in downtown Washington, according to D.C. police.

The FBI and the Montgomery County police department did not disclose Wednesday's heist until a reporter asked about it today. Lt. Paul Starks, a Montgomery police spokesman, said detectives in Wheaton did not notify the media office about the incident. It is unclear whether area banks were put on alert.

Starks said he didn't know why Wheaton detectives didn't disseminate the information.

A source familiar with the case who spoke on condition of anonymity said the phony guard in the Montgomery case walked away with more than $500,000. Wolf, citing standard practice in financial crimes investigations, declined to confirm the dollar amount.

Wolf said agents are investigating whether the two thefts are related. (Ya think?!?)

The man involved in Wednesday's theft wore an AT Systems uniform, Wolf said. The thief involved in yesterday's case, which happened at the Wachovia at 801 Pennsylvania Ave. NW, impersonated a Brinks security guard, according to D.C. police.

Authorities have not released a detailed description of the suspects.

Staff writer Clarence Williams contributed to this report.
    "When I was young, my ambition was to be one of the people who made a difference in this world. My hope is to leave the world a little better for my having been there."
    -- Jim Henson (1936 - 1990)

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by MalahatTwo7 View Post
    Well, since I don't really know who that is, I will hazard a semi-edjumacated guess that he is some Country Hick singer.
    Ding! Ding! Ding! We have a winner! Actually, he is often called the "storyteller" in country music.. He has more popular/ better recognized songs... "I Love Beer", "Old Dogs, and Children, and Watermelon Wine," and he also did "That's How I Got to Memphis."
    I fish for a living, but I have to work for money...

Forum Member

Default Cats are people too!

Va. pol pounces on cat-theft inequality
    By LARRY O'DELL
    Associated Press Writer

RICHMOND, Va. --Achieving equality for cats isn't as easy as it sounds. State Delegate Jennifer McClellan found that out Monday when a legislative panel wrangled over a proposal to make stealing a cat a felony - the same as for swiping a dog.

Unable to find a solution, the chairman designated a couple of members to work on the bill with McClellan, the Richmond Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals and the Virginia Farm Bureau and bring it back for a future meeting.

McClellan, a Richmond Democrat, opened her pitch for the legislation with a disclaimer: "I do not now, nor have I ever, owned a cat."

But for people who do love their cats as much as dog owners adore their pets, she said, Virginia law is unfair. Stealing a cat is a misdemeanor, punishable by as much as a year in jail. Dognappers can get as many as 10 years.

"All I'm trying to do is have the law reflect that if you steal a dog or steal a cat, the punishment should be the same," McClellan told the House Courts of Justice subcommittee.

Supporters of the bill are informally calling it "Ernie's Law" in honor of the kitten whose ordeal inspired the legislation.

Ernie was abducted from the Richmond SPCA's shelter last summer. Robin Starr, the organization's chief executive, said in an interview that two men asked to visit the kitten before possibly adopting it. One man put the cat under his shirt, and they walked out.

An SPCA worker got their license plate number, and the car was tracked down. The SPCA pressed charges, but the prosecutor decided the misdemeanor wasn't worth pursuing after the defendant failed to appear for arraignment.

Starr said that she had no idea why the gray and white kitten was stolen, but that cats sometimes are taken to use as dogfighting bait.

Subcommittee members wrestled with such issues as whether to add other pets, including hamsters and parakeets, to the felony statute and the notion that the law treats cats differently because many are feral.

Lindsay Potts, a lobbyist for the Farm Bureau, said the organization doesn't want Virginians subjected to a felony if they feed a cat that wanders onto their property and decides to stay.

Although Ernie got no justice, his story had a happy ending. Starr contacted the thief and persuaded him to return the kitten, which was sick and needed prescription medication. They met at a Richmond junkyard to make the exchange.

MembersZone Subscriber
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Default Darwin Wannabe?

Robbery Suspect Shoots Self In Genitals
    Shooting Caught On Surveillance Tape

POSTED: 9:42 am EST January 16, 2008
    UPDATED: 11:55 am EST January 16, 2008

KOKOMO, Ind. -- Police said a Kokomo man accidentally shot himself in the genitals while robbing a convenience store early Tuesday.

Kokomo police said they were called to a Village Pantry store at about 4:20 a.m. after a call from a clerk.

The female clerk told police that a man came into the store with a semiautomatic handgun, grabbed her hair and demanded cash and cigarettes before handing her a white cloth bag, WRTV-TV in Indianapolis reported.

The clerk said that as she retrieved the cigarettes, she heard a gunshot and turned to confront the man, who yelled that he had shot himself.

"The bullet traveled through his right testicle ... and then into the bottom part of his leg," Kokomo police Lt. Don Whitehead said.

Police said the man, whom they identified as 25-year-old Derrick Kosch, grabbed the bag full of cash and fled the store.

In-store surveillance cameras showed that Kosch shot himself as he placed the gun into the waistband of his pants, police said.

Shortly after the robbery, dispatchers got a call from someone in a home located several blocks away from the store about a man who was shot.

When officers arrived, they found Kosch. The home belongs to his grandmother, police said.

"He said he had been shot (and) someone was trying to rob him," said the grandmother, who was not named. "In the meantime, I found out that he was trying to rob somebody else."

Kosch was taken to a hospital for treatment.

Officers said that while at the home, they found the bag of money that was taken from the convenience store and clothes seen on the robber in the surveillance tape.

Police said Kosch was arrested on robbery and criminal recklessness charges. Police said they were looking for the gun.

Distributed by Internet Broadcasting.
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

MembersZone Subscriber

And now you know.

Female bisexuality not just a phase, study finds. Orientation seen as distinct rather than being a stepping stone to lesbiansim

Reuters Published: Friday, January 18, 2008

NEW YORK -- Bisexuality in women is not an experimental or transitional phase on the way to lesbianism but a distinct sexual orientation, according to a new study.

Researchers who studied 79 non-heterosexual women over the course of a decade found bisexual women remained attracted to both men and women throughout that time.

"This is the first research that's really followed bisexual women for such a long period of time and it really, I think, puts to rest the notion that this is a transitional stage," said University of Utah psychologist Lisa Diamond, who conducted the study published in the journal Developmental Psychology.

"Because if it were, it should have resolved over a 10-year period. And instead you find that those patterns of nonexclusive desire are pretty stable. The women might change their relationships, they might change the way they identify, but that basic pattern of desire pretty much sticks with them."

Diamond interviewed women who were between the ages of 18 and 25 when the study began and who identified themselves as lesbian, bisexual or unlabelled.

She found that bisexual and unlabelled women were more likely than lesbians to switch their sexual identities, but tended to move between bisexual and unlabelled, rather than settling on lesbian or heterosexual as their orientations.

Although 17 per cent of the respondents moved from bisexual or unlabelled to heterosexual during the study, more than half switched back to bisexual or unlabelled by its conclusion.

"There are still even some researchers, as well as lay people, who are not really sure that it really exists, who have viewed it as a transitional state on the way to lesbianism, or viewed it as just something that some confused heterosexuals will claim about themselves," Diamond said in an interview.

The research also claims to debunk the popular stereotype that bisexual women are unable or unwilling to commit to long-term (more than a year in length), monogamous relationships.

By year 10, the study shows, 89 per cent of the self-identified bisexual women were involved in long-term, monogamous relationships, as were 85 per cent of those who preferred to remain unlabelled.

"It's been hard to actually refute those stereotypes because there just hasn't been sufficient data. Which is bad for society, but it's also bad in terms of social workers and therapists. They need to know, for example, that it would be inappropriate to give advice like, 'Well, you know, I know you think you're bisexual but you're probably not,"' Diamond added.

Times Colonist (Victoria) 2008

Forum Member

Rick, were you really that bored, to be reading about bisexuality?

MembersZone Subscriber

Hey 'Cat, just gotta keep in touch with "stuff", right? LOL

Try this on for size.

Mystery Visitor Makes Annual Visit To Poe's Grave

POSTED: 12:16 pm EST January 19, 2008
    UPDATED: 3:25 pm EST January 19, 2008

BALTIMORE -- Undeterred by controversy, a mysterious visitor paid his annual tribute at the grave of Edgar Allan Poe early Saturday, placing three red roses and a half-filled bottle of cognac before stealing away into the darkness.

Nearly 150 people had gathered outside the cemetery of Westminster Presbyterian Church, but the man known as the "Poe toaster" was, as usual, able to avoid being spotted by the crowd, said Jeff Jerome, curator of the Poe House and Museum.

The tribute takes place every Jan. 19 -- the anniversary of Poe's birth.

The visitor did not leave a note, Jerome said, electing not to respond to questions raised in the past year about the history and authenticity of the tribute.

Sam Porpora, a former church historian who led the fight to preserve the cemetery, claimed last summer that he cooked up the idea of the Poe toaster in the 1970s as a publicity stunt.

"We did it, myself and my tour guides," Porpora, a former advertising executive, said in August. "It was a promotional idea."

Porpora said someone else has since "become" the Poe toaster.

Jerome disputes Porpora's claims and says the tribute began in 1949 at the latest, pointing to a 1950 article in The (Baltimore) Evening Sun that mentions "an anonymous citizen who creeps in annually to place an empty bottle (of excellent label)" against the gravestone.

Jerome invites a handful of Poe enthusiasts to join him inside the church every year but withholds details of the tribute in an effort to help the toaster maintain his anonymity. He said the visitor no longer wears the wide-brimmed hat and scarf he donned in the past.

In 1993, the visitor left a note reading, "The torch will be passed." A later note said the man, who apparently died in 1998, had handed the tradition on to his two sons.

This year's visitor was the same man who has come to the grave site many times in the past, Jerome said.

"We recognize him from his build, the way he walks," he said. "It would be very easy for us, visually, to see if this were a different person."

Poe, who wrote poems and horror stories including "The Raven" and "The Telltale Heart," died Oct. 7, 1849, in Baltimore at the age of 40 after collapsing in a tavern. Next year will be the 200th anniversary of his birth.

Copyright 2008 by The Associated Press.

And NO! It isn't me! I didn't do it.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by firecat1 View Post
    Rick, were you really that bored, to be reading about bisexuality?
    Just to throw a little gas to your fire, there 'Cat.

Top Cities To Be Pregnant In Released
    New No. 1 Tops 2008 Fit Pregnancy Study

POSTED: 12:20 pm EST January 21, 2008
    UPDATED: 12:39 pm EST January 21, 2008

Portland, Ore., has been named the top the place to have a baby, according to Fit Pregnancy magazine.

The study ranked cities by affordability; birth risk and health factors; breastfeeding; birthing options; stroller friendliness; fertility laws and services; hospitals and doctors; safety; and child care.

The top cities in this year's rankings are:

Portland, Ore.
    Minneapolis
    San Francisco
    Seattle
    Denver
    Boston
    Omaha, Neb.
    Virginia Beach, Va.
    Austin, Texas
    Albuquerque, N.M.

The study ranked 50 cities. Coming in worst for the second straight year was Detroit. Philadelphia, Long Beach, Calif., Memphis, Tenn. and Las Vegas ranked 46-49.

Boston fell to the sixth spot in the survey after finishing No. 1 in 2007. San Francisco was second last year, with Minneapolis, Portland and Omaha rounding out the top 5.

Virginia Beach, Austin and Albuquerque were new entries to the top 10 from 2007.

If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Is He Dead Yet? Is He Dead Yet?

Some days ya just can't make up stuff like this:

Man wakes up at his own wake

Agence France-Presse Published: Monday, January 21, 2008

SANTIAGO -- Feliberto Car-rasco, 81, shocked his relatives in Angol, Chile, by waking up in his coffin at his own wake, local media said yesterday. When family members discovered his body limp and cold, they called a funeral home, not a doctor.

======

Man robs bank in police building

CanWest News Service Published: Monday, January 21, 2008

An armed robber in Okanagan Lake Country may qualify for dumb criminal honours after holding up a bank in the same building as an RCMP detachment. Police were on scene within seconds after the robbery was reported Friday afternoon, RCMP Sgt. Tim Shields said. The police say they found a 53-year-old Vernon man in a nearby bakery with a large quantity of cash in his pockets.

Last edited by MalahatTwo7; 01-21-2008 at 02:10 PM.

Forum Member

======

Man robs bank in police building....

The police say they found a 53-year-old Vernon man in a nearby bakery with a large quantity of cash in his pockets.
    Rob a bank next to a police building, then go to the first place where the police go to begin an investigation...The bakery/donut shop..

Nope, can't make that up...

Forum Member

Just to throw a little gas to your fire, there 'Cat.

Top Cities To Be Pregnant In Released
    PBBTTT...EWWWWW....Not a public consumption issue.

Forum Member

Man wakes up at his own wake

Agence France-Presse Published: Monday, January 21, 2008

SANTIAGO -- Feliberto Car-rasco, 81, shocked his relatives in Angol, Chile, by waking up in his coffin at his own wake, local media said yesterday. When family members discovered his body limp and cold, they called a funeral home, not a doctor.
    Isn't that impossible? Embalming fluid where art thou? Unless this guy's name is Finnegan, I can't believe it.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Irish6019 View Post
    Isn't that impossible? Embalming fluid where art thou? Unless this guy's name is Finnegan, I can't believe it.
    Not all cultures do embalming. The article said he was in Angol, Chile, so there is an element of possibility to the story.

As Ray Stevens said in his song.."I ain't sitting up with the dead no more, since the dead started sitting up too." Or something like that...

I imagine Feliberto had a few words for his family after all the support they showed for him. Nice of them to check the 'ole pulse..

MembersZone Subscriber

Official charged with poaching

Canwest News Service Published: Thursday, January 24, 2008

QUEBEC CITY -- The president of the Quebec Wildlife Federation, an organization that encourages fishermen to be responsible, resigned yesterday over accusations of poaching while fishing last July.

========

Polish air force chiefs feared killed

Reuters Published: Thursday, January 24, 2008

WARSAW -- Several Polish air force commanders were feared killed yesterday when their military plane with 19 people aboard crashed on the way back from a conference on aviation safety.

Last edited by MalahatTwo7; 01-24-2008 at 12:59 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Student Gets Frosty Answer To Snow-Day Call. Student Puts Taped Message On Facebook

POSTED: 3:36 pm EST January 24, 2008
    UPDATED: 4:50 pm EST January 24, 2008

WASHINGTON -- At least one school official in Virginia could be hoping it never snows in his area again.

Related Content: Raw Video | Images

That's because a student who called his home to ask why snow hadn't closed schools got a frosty response, which led to an online storm.

Last week, the student called the listed home phone number for the chief operating officer of Fairfax County schools and asked why he hadn't closed schools after an estimated 3 inches of snow fell.

The official's wife returned the call, during which she used the phrase "snotty-nosed little brats," and said, "Get over it, kid, and go to school!"

The student posted the taped message on a Facebook page.

The official told The Washington Post that the incident has been "horrible" for his wife, but said the student had courage to stand up for his convictions.

MembersZone Subscriber
    Maryland (but always a Long Islander first)

Default Boys Stick Tongues on Frozen Flagpole

Newsday.com

Boys Stick Tongues on Frozen Flagpole
    By Associated Press

5:35 PM EST, January 26, 2008

CHESTERTON, Ind.

Two fourth-grade boys mimicking a scene from the movie "A Christmas Story" wound up with their tongues stuck to a frozen flagpole.

Gavin Dempsey and James Alexander were serving on flag duty at Jackson Elementary School Friday morning, with the job of raising and lowering the school's flags. They decided to see if their tongues really would stick to the cold metal.

"I decided to try it because I thought all of the TV shows were lies, but turns out I was wrong," Gavin said.

Karen Alexander, James' mother , said her son told her he got the idea from the movie, which is based on stories about a boy growing up in the northwest Indiana community of Hammond in the 1940s.

"I can't believe he did it, but they learned their lesson," she said.

James said he plans to eat a lot of ice cream to help nurse his wound.

"When you're young, you're just messing around," he said.

Billie Dempsey, Gavin's mom, said a nurse called them to tell them the boys' tongues were bleeding.

"The nurse asked them, 'OK, who double-dog dared who?'" Billie Dempsey said, a reference to a phrase that a character in the movie used to dare another child to stick his tongue to the pole.

Copyright 2007 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
    "When I was young, my ambition was to be one of the people who made a difference in this world. My hope is to leave the world a little better for my having been there."
    -- Jim Henson (1936 - 1990)

MembersZone Subscriber

Well... as a youngster, I think that any of us who grew up in places were winter really get COLD, have done this at least once or twice.

MembersZone Subscriber

a house recently burnt down where I used to work because... the owners put a portable heater in the dog house to keep their chicken warm... and it caught their house on fire
    The Box. You opened it. We Came...

"You'll take my life but I'll take your's too. You'll fire musket but I'll run you through. So when your waiting for the next attack, you'll better understand there's no turn back."

Forum Member

That's a sad story.. I usually put my chicken in the oven to keep it warm..

Oh, come on.. You know somebody was going to post that reply..

MembersZone Subscriber

Hula-Hoop Gets New Life As Fitness Tool

POSTED: 3:56 pm EST January 27, 2008
    UPDATED: 4:41 pm EST January 27, 2008

BALTIMORE -- Like many women who vowed to get in shape for the new year, this group of two dozen recently gathered at a Charles Village Church for an exercise class.

They did not use complicated or torturous-looking devices, but something friendly and familiar: the hula hoop.

"I hate the thought of going to the gym, but pick up a hoop and it can be playtime," said Noelle Powers, 30, who teaches the six-week course. "It's a great way to burn calories and strengthen muscles, especially core muscles, and it can be very meditative."

The baby boomers' beloved toy is back, with hooping classes showing up at gyms and community centers in the Baltimore-Washington area as well as across the country. Some celebrities are giving the hoop a whirl, including Beyonce, who, it is reported, uses it to maintain her famously "bootylicious" figure.

"People didn't even imagine that you could do things like this with a hula hoop," said Rayna McInturf, founder of Hoopnotica, a California-based hooping school.

While there are elaborate tricks -- such as twirling a hoop on one's feet while standing on one's head -- most of the students in Powers' first class were looking to nail down the basics and enjoy a workout.

Twins Jeannette Young-Wingfield and Jean Faulcon, 56, reminisced about growing up in the 1950s.

"All the little girls would get together and hula hoop," Faulcon said. "I loved the 'swish swish' sound that it made."

Hoops for adults are wider and heavier than those for youngsters, which makes them easier to spin around a larger waist. And fans usually just call them "hoops" because they aren't a part of the traditional Hawaiian hula dance.

The Hula-Hoop was introduced in 1958 by the Wham-O company of California, also producers of the Slip-n-Slide and the Frisbee. More than 20 million hoops were sold in the first six months of production, according to Wham-O marketing associate Martin Marechal.

The Hula-Hoop became an iconic toy of the day and is often noted as one of the great fads of the 20th century. Sales dropped in the early 1960s, according to Marechal.

More recently, hoop dancing became popular at underground dance parties and burlesque shows, and the demand for classes grew.

"There was an explosion (of interest) about four years ago," McInturf said. "It went from me knowing everyone in L.A. who was a hoop dancer to hundreds and thousands of people around the world hoop dancing."

Some Web sites offer adult hoops and instructional DVDs for sale. McInturf said that she saw her sales jump six-fold in 2006.

Locally, Powers, a Rockville native who learned to hoop while living in Seattle, has performed with the Fluid Movement water ballet and burlesque performers Trixie Little and the Evil Hate Monkey.

Goddess Fitness in Bethesda offers three hoop classes, co-owner Tina Moran said. And Bally's Total Fitness offers a cardio hooping class in Washington and Alexandria, Va., according to Bally's group exercise trainer Vivian Thurman.

Powers makes her own hoops from plastic tubing. She decorates them with colored tape, fabric or ribbon. She brought several dozen to St. John's United Methodist Church, a space maintained by a partnership between congregation members and the Red Emma's anarchist collective in Baltimore.

After students picked hoops, Powers led them through stretches. She told them to hold the hoops behind their backs and bend forward.

Then it was time to spin. As Faulcon rocked from foot to foot, the hoop gyrated around her waist.

Her sister's hoop was not so well-behaved. "I don't remember it being like this," said Young-Wingfield as her hoop clattered to the floor. Students bent down to pick up hoops and tried again.

"If it starts to slip, go faster," Powers said. "Try hip, hip, hip, hip to get it back up there."

The room soon had a soft breeze from the whirring hoops as students found the right rhythm. Soon, it was time to try more complicated moves -- revolving the hoops around hands, arms and necks.

Friends Corey Eberhart, 33, and Jackie Gill, 33, crashed into one another with their hoops. Giggles ensued.

After the class, Gill pushed a damp tendril of hair from her forehead.

"It's a good workout," she said. "And you just can't help but feel happy when you're in a hoop."

Forum Member

Hula-Hoop Gets New Life As Fitness Tool

POSTED: 3:56 pm EST January 27, 2008
    UPDATED: 4:41 pm EST January 27, 2008

BALTIMORE -- Like many women who vowed to get in shape for the new year, this group of two dozen recently gathered at a Charles Village Church for an exercise class.

They did not use complicated or torturous-looking devices, but something friendly and familiar: the hula hoop.

OK Rick, now you've found an article that's scared Kitty! I picture a room full of Roseanne Barr's all trying to hoop it at the same time. *cringe, shudder*

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by firecat1 View Post
    OK Rick, now you've found an article that's scared Kitty! I picture a room full of Roseanne Barr's all trying to hoop it at the same time. *cringe, shudder*
    OH GREAT! THAT tears it. I was doing just fine until you had to say something like that. Thanks Kitty.

MembersZone Subscriber

Maybe this should go into the After Hours Pub thread??

Man On Lawn Mower Accused Of Driving Drunk. Snowstorm Doesn't Deter Trip To Liquor Store

POSTED: 10:51 am EST January 29, 2008
    UPDATED: 11:03 am EST January 29, 2008

ADRIAN, Mich. -- Police in Michigan charged a man with drunk driving, saying he downed two bottles of wine and rode off on his lawn mower to a liquor store in a snowstorm.

Adrian police stopped the man Saturday night as he rode home from the store.

They said he was toting four bottles of wine in a paper bag.

He told officers his wife had taken their car to work, and that the mower was the only way he could reach the store, which was two miles away.

According to police, the man's blood alcohol level was 2 times Michigan's legal driving limit of .08 percent.

Police arrested him and seized the mower.

Forum Member

Just a friendly reminder to everybody out there.. During this period of severe cold weather, be sure to check the "anit-freeze" level in your lawn mower:

"...he downed two bottles of wine and rode off on his lawn mower to a liquor store in a snowstorm."

MembersZone Subscriber

Crash Leaves Cow As Backseat Driver
    Cow Ends Up In Back Seat Of Massachusetts Woman's Car

POSTED: 8:20 am EST February 2, 2008

REHOBOTH, Mass. -- Holy Cow! A Massachusetts woman suddenly found an unexpected passenger in her back seat Friday while driving home with her daughter after running a simple errand, reported WCVB-TV in Boston.

Tonya Coccia of Seekonk, Mass., said the street was dark when she suddenly saw cows that had wandered out onto the road from a nearby farm. She swerved, but hit two of them. One was a massive Black Angus.

"I only saw it for a split second before it came up it into my windshield," Coccia said.

One of the cows had gone airborne.

"There was airbags and smoke and me and my daughter was losing it. I thought that was it, but I felt my car start shaking."

The cow had flipped over the roof of the car, gone through the back window and landed in the back seat.

"I didn't really want to see what was there, but I saw a black cow head in my back window. My daughter turned this way and said 'Mom there's a cow in the back seat!' And we just took off," Coccia said.

The car's hood and roof were crushed and the windshield was smashed.

Coccia said she realized there were bound be jokes. The cow in the back seat was not seriously injured, but the second cow did not survive.

"It could have just as easily gone through the windshield and we'd be talking about very serious injuries or possibly death," said Rehoboth police Sgt. Richard Shailor.

The cow was frightened and agitated. Firefighters and police had to tie it down so it wouldn't move inside the car. They towed the car to the farm and let it out.

Both Coccia and her daughter Hailey suffered minor injuries. Her car was a total loss.

We ran a call when I was still with Malahat. MVA, deer stuck by car. Vancouver Island deer are about the size of a very large German Shepherd, roughly 100 lbs in weight. An elderly lady had hit one, which went through the passenger side front, and ended in the back seat, very dead. She was on her way to Nanaimo to visist family and since it was Christmas time.... well some of the gifts didnt make their destination, due to "blood loss". The lady did very well though, as far as not panicking when the deer hit; she calmly pulled over at a very safe and convenient (for us too) area, and awaited our arrival.

Thread Information