Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Weird But True

MembersZone Subscriber
    Maryland (but always a Long Islander first)

Default Japanese Woman Caught Living in Closet

Japanese Woman Caught Living in Closet

By MARI YAMAGUCHI,AP
    Posted: 2008-05-30 14:02:06
    Filed Under: Weird News, World News

TOKYO (May 30) - A homeless woman who sneaked into a man's house and lived undetected in his closet for a year was arrested in Japan after he became suspicious when food mysteriously began disappearing.

Police found the 58-year-old woman Thursday hiding in the top compartment of the man's closet and arrested her for trespassing, police spokesman Hiroki Itakura from southern Kasuya town said Friday.

The resident of the home installed security cameras that transmitted images to his mobile phone after becoming puzzled by food disappearing from his kitchen over the past several months.

One of the cameras captured someone moving inside his home Thursday after he had left, and he called police believing it was a burglar. However, when they arrived they found the door locked and all windows closed.

"We searched the house ... checking everywhere someone could possibly hide," Itakura said. "When we slid open the shelf closet, there she was, nervously curled up on her side."

The woman told police she had no place to live and first sneaked into the man's house about a year ago when he left it unlocked.

She had moved a mattress into the small closet space and even took showers, Itakura said, calling the woman "neat and clean."

Copyright 2008 The Associated Press.
    "When I was young, my ambition was to be one of the people who made a difference in this world. My hope is to leave the world a little better for my having been there."
    -- Jim Henson (1936 - 1990)

MembersZone Subscriber
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Since there is only about 6 inches between the bottom of the car and the train bed...... this is one very lucky (and likely very small) lady.

Smithsonian Metro Service Resumes After Woman Rescued

POSTED: 3:35 pm EDT June 1, 2008
    UPDATED: 10:35 pm EDT June 1, 2008

WASHINGTON -- Service at the Smithsonian Metro Station at 1200 Independence Ave. SW resumed after D.C. fire officials rescued a woman who fell on the tracks just before a train came.

The woman, who is in her 50s, fell on the tracks and ended up underneath the train but was uninjured, officials said.

D.C. Fire and EMS Spokesman Alan Etter said the woman was lying between the rails of the tracks as the train went over her.

Firefighters were able to crawl under the train, put the woman on a backboard and using a rope, pull the board out from under the train.

Etter said she was taken to the hospital with minor abrasions.

The station was closed for more than an hour. Authorities said Metro was down to one track, creating delays.

The incident occurred just after 2:30 p.m. at the station located on the National Mall.

In addition to tourists and museum visitors who regularly use the station, the disruption affected people attending a festival Sunday celebrating Israel's 60th anniversary.

Copyright 2008 by nbc4.com. The Associated Press contributed to this report
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

Forum Member

Good thing the trip yesterday was to Harper's Ferry instead of into town to see one of the museums and yes she was a lucky lady!
    Last edited by firecat1; 06-03-2008 at 04:58 PM.

Forum Member

Cor she was a bit lucky weren't she!
    It's not the destination, but the journey that matters.

Stay safe

MembersZone Subscriber

Angry

This made the front page of the online Victoria Times Colonist:

Drunk mother lets toddler take wheel

Agence France-Presse Published: Friday, June 06, 2008

CINCINNATI -- A patrol officer stopped a car for suspicious driving and found that a drunk mother had let her one-year-old son take the wheel, the Ohio state police department said yesterday.

Marya Green, 29, of Goshen Township, near Cincinnati, was arrested this week and found to have a 0.11 per cent blood alcohol level -- well above the 0.08 per cent legal limit, said the town's police spokeswoman Mandy Storer.

Her licence already suspended for a previous drunk-driving offense, Green had put her infant son behind the steering wheel, while two other children aged eight and five were also travelling in the car, she added.

A one-year-old child doesn't have the skill to drive a car. We all know that," Storer said.

It was Green's third drunk-driving offense in six years, she said.

© Times Colonist (Victoria) 2008

MembersZone Subscriber

Man Gets DWI After Riding Motorized Cooler. 'Cruzin Cooler' Can Go Up To 13 MPH

POSTED: 12:47 pm EDT June 10, 2008
    UPDATED: 9:57 pm EDT June 10, 2008

One New York man's Memorial Day fun ended when police pulled him over while he was driving his motorized cooler.

Leslie J. "Bomber" Marr, 57, was charged with driving while intoxicated and aggravated unlicensed operation of a motor vehicle after the police saw him swerving on the street and driving on the sidewalk in his "Cruzin Cooler," Whitehall Police Chief Richard LaChapelle told the Post Star newspaper.

Marr's electric-powered cooler was filled with 14 beers and has room for 24 cans and ice, Fox News reported.

Under New York state law, driving any motorized vehicle must be done without alcohol, including motorized coolers. In various states, other modes of transportation in which driving is prohibited while intoxicated include lawnmowers, boats, bicycles, golf carts, wheelchairs and horses.

The "Cruzin Cooler" Web site features talk show host Ellen Degeneres riding a cooler. The site praises the vehicle, saying it "combines two basic necessities of life, the ability to have cold food or a beverage handy along with the means to get somewhere without walking."

According to cruzincooler.com, the motor or electric-powered cooler can go up to 13 mph and has hitches to attach a wagon that can pull a 400-pound load on level surfaces.

Distributed by Internet Broadcasting.
    =====
    Kansas Man Survives Nail To Head. Doctor Removes Nail With Claw Hammer {OOOWWWWEEEEEEEEEEE}

POSTED: 4:30 am EDT June 11, 2008
    UPDATED: 11:37 am EDT June 11, 2008

SHAWNEE, Kan. -- A suburban Kansas City man said he accidentally fired a 2.5-inch nail into the top of his head, but added that he feels much better a doctor used a claw hammer to remove it.

The mishap occurred Friday while George Chandler, of Shawnee, and a friend were working on a backyard project.

The nail gun hose became tangled, causing the powerful tool to fire once. Chandler said Monday he told his friend he didn't know where the nail went, but he felt a sting on the top of his head.

Soon they discovered that the nail was driven into Chandler's skull, so they called an ambulance. He was rushed to a hospital, where a doctor used a common claw hammer to remove the nail, Chandler said.

Chandler said he feels "very lucky, very, very lucky" to have escaped serious injury.

Copyright 2008 by The Associated Press.
    Last edited by MalahatTwo7; 06-11-2008 at 01:25 PM.
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

MembersZone Subscriber

Greek court considers Lesbos vs. lesbians case

Times Colonist Published: Thursday, June 12, 2008

ATHENS -- A Greek court is considering a request by residents of the Aegean island of Lesbos to ban use of the word lesbian as a term to describe gay women, a court official said yesterday.

Three Lesbos residents brought the case, arguing that the use of the term "lesbian" in reference to gay women insults their identity.

The island of Lesbos, off the Turkish coast, is the birthplace of the ancient Greek poet Sappho, whose love poems inspired the term lesbian. The island has become a mecca for gay women the world over.

The plaintiffs, who argue the northern Aegean island's residents are the only true Lesbians, told the court the dispute was over identity and not sexuality.

"Gay women have every right to define themselves as they wish, but they don't have the right to appropriate our national identity," Lesbos resident Ioannis Achlioptas said.

An attorney for the defence argued many Lesbos residents saw the term as beneficial.

"The term has been used worldwide for centuries and has even helped the island, boosting tourism," said defence witness Themistocles Kefalas. "My daughter has no problem being called a Lesbian, even though she's not a lesbian."

Forum Member

(sitting with my hand over my eyes, shaking my head)
    "and the weird but true king still reigns"

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by firecat1 View Post
    (sitting with my hand over my eyes, shaking my head)
    "and the weird but true king still reigns"
    Yeah, totally!!!

Malahat, I take my hat off to you....
    It's not the destination, but the journey that matters.

Stay safe

FIREMAN 1st GRADE

nice to see weird but true still going...very weird
    ALL GAVE SOME BUT SOME GAVE ALL
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    CAPT. Frank Callahan Ladder 35 *
    LT. John Ginley Engine 40
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40
    FF. Jimmy Giberson Ladder 35
    FF. Michael Otten Ladder 35 *
    FF. Steve Mercado Engine 40 *
    FF. Kevin Bracken Engine 40 *
    FF. Vincent Morello Ladder 35
    FF. Michael Roberts Ladder 35 *
    FF. Michael Lynch Engine 40
    FF. Michael Dauria Engine 40

Charleston 9
    "If my job was easy a cop would be doing it."
    *******************CLICK HERE*****************

Forum Member

I'm just glad that Malahat hasn't found any of the stories that involve me... Yet..
    I fish for a living, but I have to work for money...

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by rhvfd1214 View Post
    I'm just glad that Malahat hasn't found any of the stories that involve me... Yet..
    Thats only cuz maybe there ain't much comes outta Mississippi except maybe water? Lots gets in I 'spect, but not much comes out eheheheheehee

Forum Member

Maybe this story was overlooked by Malahat... The University of Mississippi is in Oxford, MS.

WASHINGTON – Marijuana potency increased last year to the highest level in more than 30 years, posing greater health risks to people who may view the drug as harmless, according to a report released Thursday by the White House.

The latest analysis from the University of Mississippi’s Potency Monitoring Project tracked the average amount of THC, the psychoactive ingredient in marijuana, in samples seized by law enforcement agencies from 1975 through 2007. It found that the average amount of THC reached 9.6 percent in 2007, compared with 8.75 percent the previous year.

The 9.6 percent level represents more than a doubling of marijuana potency since 1983, when it averaged just under 4 percent.

“Today’s report makes it more important than ever that we get past outdated, anachronistic views of marijuana,” said John Walters, director of the White House Office of National Drug Control Policy. He cited baby boomer parents who might have misguided notions that the drug contains the weaker potency levels of the 1970s.

"Marijuana potency has grown steeply over the past decade, with serious implications in particular for young people,” Walters said. He cited the risk of psychological, cognitive and respiratory problems, and the potential for users to become dependent on drugs such as cocaine and heroin.

While the drug’s potency may be rising, marijuana users generally adjust to the level of potency and smoke it accordingly, said Dr. Mitch Earleywine, who teaches psychology at the State University of New York in Albany and serves as an adviser for marijuana advocacy groups. “Stronger cannabis leads to less inhaled smoke,” he said.

Forum Member

Gas price got you down? You could always try this...

GULFPORT, Miss. (AP) — A 23-year-old Mississippi man was jailed after being charged with stealing a school bus.

WLOX-TV reported that David Insalaco told sheriff’s deputies he took the bus and left his car at Harrison Central High School.

The reason? Insalaco told deputies his car was out of gas.

Records show Insalaco was arrested Sunday and was still in the Harrison County jail Monday.

Forum Member

Sometimes, the news that is weird will be the story that is never asked.. The person found was later confirmed to be the escapee. The question not asked: What was he doing in the Lake??

Body found in lake possibly escapee
    6/10/2008 1:57:33 PM
    pontotoc progress

By REGINA BUTLER
    Progress Staff Writer

A body found at Howard Stafford Lake early Monday morning is possibly linked to a jail escapee.
    Mississippi Bureau of Investigations has been called in to aid in the investigation of the body that was found in a back cove of the 80-acre lake.
    Pontotoc County Sheriff Neal Davis confirmed the body was found floating near the shore by a homeowner.
    The body is possibly that of Lee County resident Michael Tharp who escaped from the Pontotoc County Adult Detention Center late Wednesday night with three other inmates.
    Others who escaped were Pontotoc County residents Kirby Smith, 18, who was in jail for burglary of a dwelling and a burglary of a building; Jeffrey Parmer, 19, in jail for possession of drugs; Randy Garrison, 45, in jail for possession of drugs. Tharp was in jail for burglary.
    Parmer and Smith were picked up by Florida Highway Patrol and U.S. Marshals picked up Garrison in Lafayette County.
    The four escaped through the roof of the detention center from a vent.
    Pontotoc County Sheriff Neal Davis said the four were already off the premises when other inmates hit the intercom and told jail administrators that they were gone.
    Once outside of the fence, the four apparently split up, Garrison fled to Lafayette County while the other three traveled south.
    Pontotoc City Police Chief Larry Poole said a car was stolen from 303 Lakeshore Drive during the night Wednesday night.
    “Thursday morning, the resident reported her vehicle, a 2004 silver Alero Oldsmobile, stolen some time around 1 a.m.,” Poole said.
    Parmer and Smith were stopped and re-arrested by Florida Highway Patrol in Walton County driving the stolen car.
    The pair are facing charges in Florida and will be sent back to Pontotoc to face additional charges of jail escape from the county.
    According to the Walton County Sheriff’s office Web site, Parmer is charged with being a fugitive from justice under 21, grand theft over $10,000 - 20,000, alcohol possession under 21.
    Smith is charged with grand larceny and fugitive from justice in Mississippi.
    The city of Pontotoc has charges of theft against them because the vehicle was stolen within the city limits.
    Garrison’s capture was the result of investigation by the U.S. Marshal’s Gulf Coast Regional Fugitive Task Force.
    He was arrested at home near the Lafayette-Union county line Friday afternoon.
    Sheriff Davis said he will seek for all to be held without bond pending their trials or pleas in court because of the flight risk.
    At press time Tuesday afternoon, coroner Kim Bedford said that the cause of death of the body found in the lake was drowning, however, there was still no positive identification of the body.
    That information was expected back sometime late Tuesday afternoon.

MembersZone Subscriber

On the pot story, I saw the headlines on Friday, but since I figured most of us knew that the potency was on the rise, and that I also come from the Pot Grow-op Captial of the World (or so they say) where BC Bud is "The Best In All The Land", well anyhow.

The guy found in the lake.... Whats with the 18yr old? How do you get caught stealing a building or dwelling? What was he doing, jacking them up to put them on multiple boggies with intent to drive them away or what? Who'd want to steal a building anyhow?

MembersZone Subscriber

May I Take Your Order ... From Across U.S.? Remote Order Takers In Texas

POSTED: 10:30 am EDT June 16, 2008
    UPDATED: 12:14 pm EDT June 16, 2008

HONOLULU -- More than half of the McDonald's restaurants with drive-throughs in Hawaii are using remote order takers, people who take your order from a call center in El Paso, Texas.

The operation requires special training for the call-takers so they can understand Hawaii customers, KITV in Honolulu reported.

McDonald's Restaurants of Hawaii started testing remote order takers in 2006. It then began expanding the program statewide in 2007.

"We want to make sure that our customers get their orders right and they get them in the most convenient way possible," said Melanie Okazaki of McDonald's Restaurants of Hawaii.

McDonald's actually trains the Texas order-takers to understand local phrases and accents.

"Sometimes people throw in a little bit of pidgin here and there, and so we want our order-takers to become accustomed and comfortable with that," Okazaki said.

McDonald's does role-playing with the order-takers from the mainland and gives them a few Hawaiian words to use such as "aloha" and "mahalo."

"It takes a little getting used to on the order-taker's side, but I think with practice, they become more and more comfortable working with our local clientele," Okazaki said.

McDonald's said the new system is delivering more accurate orders and speeding up service, but there is no cost savings.

"We haven't pared back on our labor force at all. In fact, we've been able to have our crew members concentrate more on their particular position," Okazaki said.

If the remote system goes down, restaurant staff members can still handle drive-through orders in house.

Of the 50 Hawaii McDonald's restaurants, 31 are using the new technology.

MembersZone Subscriber
    Maryland (but always a Long Islander first)

At least they're keeping jobs in the states...
    "When I was young, my ambition was to be one of the people who made a difference in this world. My hope is to leave the world a little better for my having been there."
    -- Jim Henson (1936 - 1990)

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by DianeC View Post
    At least they're keeping jobs in the states...
    True enough. But WHY Texas??? heheeheheehehehe

Forum Member

Keep an eye on it - the next move could be to India...
    "Professional" means your attitude to the job...

Nullus Anxietas ..... (T Pratchett)

Forum Member

I don't think anyone in India would try to sell you anything beef. Something to do with a "sacred cow." However, Texas seems very appropiate for beef exchange..

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by rhvfd1214 View Post
    I don't think anyone in India would try to sell you anything beef. Something to do with a "sacred cow." However, Texas seems very appropiate for beef exchange..
    Are you telling me that McPlastic burgers do actually contain beef? How do they manage to disguise the flavour so well?
    "Professional" means your attitude to the job...

Nullus Anxietas ..... (T Pratchett)

Forum Member

It's the "Fancy Ketchup" that they use to drown the tenth of an ounce of beef.

MembersZone Subscriber

Thumbs up

Sports Bra Saves Woman Trapped On Mountain. Hiker Fell In Bad Weather

POSTED: 4:08 pm EDT June 24, 2008
    UPDATED: 4:33 pm EDT June 24, 2008

A Colorado woman stranded for almost three days in the Alps was flown to safety by rescuers after she caught the attention of loggers by using her sports bra.

Jessica Bruinsma, 24, of Colorado Springs, had fallen and was trapped on a ledge in Germany near the border with Austria on June 16.

Police in Berchtesgaden, Germany, said Bruinsma, who was too injured to walk, attached her sports bra to a cable used to haul timber off the mountains.

The cable was only within reach because it was broken, police said. When the moving cable was repaired Thursday, it took the sports bra down the mountain, where the loggers saw it and notified rescuers.

A team in a helicopter followed the cable line up the mountain, spotted Bruinsma, and flew her to safety.

"We're going to have a party for her every June 19 (the date she was rescued) and give her some new bras," her sister, Elana Bruinsma, told The Rocky Mountain News.

She said her sister remains in a German hospital, having suffered four broken ribs, a punctured lung and nerve damage to her legs in the fall.

========
    Mechanics free two kittens by dismantling dashboard

Canwest News Service Published: Wednesday, June 25, 2008

EDMONTON -- It's one optional extra the factory never talks about -- kittens in the dashboard.

Canadian Tire mechanic Conrad Grzeszczak -- a self-described "cat guy" -- managed to free two frightened kittens that crawled under the dash of a car brought into his shop Monday night by a frantic customer.

"I had never seen something like this," said Grzeszczak.

Grzeszczak and fellow mechanic Dave Gosse were getting ready to close up shop when Dennis Benzer drove in complaining he had two kittens trapped inside his green 1998 Chevrolet Malibu.

Benzer, who rescues stray cats and dogs, said he found the lost kittens on a street corner and planned to take them to an emergency vet clinic when they vanished inside his car.

"I thought they would get into the engine," he said. "I was worried what was going to happen to them."

When Grzeszczak took a look under the dashboard, he saw one kitten had its head stuck between the gas and brake pedals. He was able to free that one in just under an hour with little difficulty.

The second cat, however, was trapped deep inside the dash, curled up in a ball. He wasn't moving and there was no indication he was alive.

Grzeszczak said it took nearly three hours to remove the entire dash, including the stereo and glove box, and free the second cat from the maze of metal brackets and cables. When the kitten finally emerged, he was frightened, covered in dirt, but alive.

"They were kicking and breathing," Grzeszczak said. "We were ecstatic."

==

Photo credit: Dave Gosse, left, and Conrad Grzeszczak freed kittens trapped inside a car's dashboard.
    Ed Kaiser, Canwest News Service
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by MalahatTwo7; 06-25-2008 at 01:04 PM.

Forum Member

Yea!!! Save the kitties!

Thread Information