Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Weird But True

MembersZone Subscriber
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Woman Gets Beverage Corporation To Sponsor Wedding

POSTED: 1:23 pm EDT June 26, 2008
    UPDATED: 2:05 pm EDT June 26, 2008

VIRGINIA BEACH, Va. -- A hairdresser who offered online bidders a chance to be in her wedding didn't attract a bridesmaid, but a national soft-drink company will get some inexpensive advertising for sponsoring the event.

Kelly Gray and fiance Karl Gau were worried about paying for their wedding, so Gray offered a spot in her bridal party on eBay. When the auction ended Wednesday, the winner was a representative of Dr Pepper Snapple Group.

The company will donate $10,000 and drinks for the April 19 wedding. She said the company also plans to launch a Web site to find her a bridesmaid or provide a surprise guest for the slot. {WHAT??! No girlfriends to do the job for her???}

Dr Pepper was mentioned in a local newspaper story about Gray's auction. Gwen Lala, Gray's co-worker, suggested she try eBay because a Dr Pepper can was selling on the online auction site for $400.
    Related Articles:
    Find out more about Internet, Science and Technology, Technology and Websites.

Copyright 2008 by The Associated Press.
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by MalahatTwo7 View Post
    Woman Gets Beverage Corporation To Sponsor Wedding

POSTED: 1:23 pm EDT June 26, 2008
    UPDATED: 2:05 pm EDT June 26, 2008

VIRGINIA BEACH, Va. -- A hairdresser who offered online bidders a chance to be in her wedding didn't attract a bridesmaid, but a national soft-drink company will get some inexpensive advertising for sponsoring the event.

Kelly Gray and fiance Karl Gau were worried about paying for their wedding, so Gray offered a spot in her bridal party on eBay. When the auction ended Wednesday, the winner was a representative of Dr Pepper Snapple Group.

The company will donate $10,000 and drinks for the April 19 wedding. She said the company also plans to launch a Web site to find her a bridesmaid or provide a surprise guest for the slot. {WHAT??! No girlfriends to do the job for her???}

Dr Pepper was mentioned in a local newspaper story about Gray's auction. Gwen Lala, Gray's co-worker, suggested she try eBay because a Dr Pepper can was selling on the online auction site for $400.
    Related Articles:
    Find out more about Internet, Science and Technology, Technology and Websites.

Dr Pepper are helping pay for her wedding? Cool!
    What's the worst that could happen?
    It's not the destination, but the journey that matters.

Stay safe

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by MaryJane69 View Post
    Dr Pepper are helping pay for her wedding? Cool!
    What's the worst that could happen?
    The worst that can happen??? TOO MUCH MIXER, not enough good stuff! LOL
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

MembersZone Subscriber

Lawn-Chair Flier Hopes Third Time Is Charm. Couch Hopes To Fly English Channel Someday

POSTED: 10:43 am EDT July 3, 2008
    UPDATED: 11:34 am EDT July 3, 2008

Maybe it doesn't beat flying coach, but an Oregon man is planning a 300-mile flight this weekend by lawn chair.

Kent Couch hopes to go from his gas station in central Oregon to Boise, Idaho, in a chair suspended from 150 helium-filled latex party balloons.

It'll be his third attempt. Last year, he flew 193 miles before running low on helium and landing in a patch of sagebrush. A gust of wind blew away that chair. It was found in May by a ranchers checking the fence line on their eastern Oregon property.

He now has a corporate sponsor, a team of volunteers and his wife Susan's blessing.

Couch, 48, was inspired to go up, up and away by the 1982 lawn-chair flight over Los Angeles by truck driver Larry Walters, whose adventure brought him a measure of fame, but also a $1,500 fine for violating air traffic rules.

Couch made his first ascent in 2006, floating for six hours before shooting out a few balloons with his pellet gun to descend. He apparently shot out too many balloons because he had to use his parachute to land. He never found the lawn chair.

To gain altitude he dumps water from 15-gallon barrels and to come down, he pops some of the balloons with a pellet gun.

Couch has appeared on ABC's "Good Morning America" and NBC's "Tonight Show with Jay Leno." He has enjoyed his time in the limelight, but said he isn't flying a lawn chair for fame and fortune.

Couch said "cluster ballooning" is generally carefree although he acknowledges "a little stress" coming down. {Ummm..errr.. aahh. Ya. Ok.}

He hopes one day to lawn-chair across the English Channel and Australia.

MembersZone Subscriber

Sex still good at 70, study finds

Reuters Published: Wednesday, July 09, 2008

CHICAGO -- More 70-year-olds are having good sex more often, Swedish researchers said yesterday. They found 70-year-olds of both sexes are having more sex than they did 30 years ago, and many more women report being satisfied with their sex lives. Researchers interviewed four groups of 70-year-olds in Sweden about their sex lives between 1971 and 2001.

Times Colonist (Victoria) 2008

Forum Member

CHICAGO -- More 70-year-olds are having good sex more often, Swedish researchers said yesterday. They found 70-year-olds of both sexes are having more sex than they did 30 years ago, and many more women report being satisfied with their sex lives. Researchers interviewed four groups of 70-year-olds in Sweden about their sex lives between 1971 and 2001.

That just encourages more wrinkle in motion. Kind of makes me want to puke.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by JonathanG View Post
    That just encourages more wrinkle in motion. Kind of makes me want to puke.

I was trying to avoid the "visuals" on this one..... On the other hand, it does give hope for some of us, I guess.....?? LOL

MembersZone Subscriber

It's the watermelon.

Forum Member

I was trying to avoid the "visuals" on this one..... On the other hand, it does give hope for some of us, I guess.....?? LOL
    Glad I could help, hahaha!

Forum Member

Rick, you already know what I'm gonna say so..........

MembersZone Subscriber
    Maryland (but always a Long Islander first)

I'm surprised no one else has posted this...

Woman's Cell Phone Turns Out to Be a Live Bat
    by Will Safer, posted Jul 10th 2008 at 2:08PM

We've learned that cell phones ringing out loud can land you in trouble. For example, two Atlanta men were recently fined $200 because their mobiles spouted tunes in court, irritating the judge to the point of holding them in contempt. The answer? Set that cell phone to vibrate!

Yes, rules of courtesy and decorum suggest that you not subject those around you to obnoxious ring tones. So we send our compliments to Abbie Hawkins, a British hotel worker who thought she had silenced her phone, which she apparently carries around in her bra. We've seen other women do this, so we're not shocked by the practice.

But imagine Hawkins' shock when the twitching item in her undergarment turned out not to be her cell phone, but instead a live bat. Yes, a bat. With wings. (And fangs?) Perhaps it was receiving a text message from a Transylvanian baron?

Yes, the 19-year-old hotel receptionist spent a good part of the day carrying around a live bat in her bra, thinking it was her cell phone. The bat apparently crawled into her underwear while it was hanging on a clothesline outside her home. Small enough to go unnoticed by Hawkins, the bat apparently decided to go for a snug ride to work with the girl.

According to a quoted bat expert, the animals roost anywhere that appears dark and safe.

Hawkins, saying she felt bad for the little creature, released it outside. Let the Batphone jokes begin. [Source: Telegraph]

http://www.switched.com/2008/07/10/b...ve-bat-in-bra/
    "When I was young, my ambition was to be one of the people who made a difference in this world. My hope is to leave the world a little better for my having been there."
    -- Jim Henson (1936 - 1990)

Forum Member

Yeah! I read that story in the local paper. I thought it was pretty cool. A woman felt a vibration and when she peeked in her bra she found a little baby bat nestled in the padding. She took it out and it ended up flying around the office or something. She felt bad for disturbing it. Apparently it looked cozy nestled in there. It was probably enjoying the warmth from her body also.

I love bats! In fact I think this incident happened in my home town. Bats are so sweet. Who wouldn't want one of those little critters in your bra?
    It's not the destination, but the journey that matters.

Stay safe

Forum Member

A bat in my bra? I don't think so! Wait a minute, I don't even use the things...
    "Professional" means your attitude to the job...

Nullus Anxietas ..... (T Pratchett)

MembersZone Subscriber

Well. It is "Shark Week" on Discovery Channel this week....

Shark Sighting On 'Jaws' Island A Hoax. Beaches Closed After Report Of Shark Sighting

POSTED: 9:03 am EDT July 14, 2008
    UPDATED: 10:15 am EDT July 14, 2008

EDGARTOWN, Mass. -- The island where "Jaws" was filmed got a real-life shark scare when two beaches were closed due to an unconfirmed sighting of a great white.

However, police said at least one of the shark sightings on Martha's Vineyard was a hoax.

Massachusetts authorities said a man who claimed he'd seen two great white sharks was lying. He had warned swimmers to get out of the water after saying he'd seen two sharks about 22 feet long and 3,000 pounds each.

Officials closed the beach. Then, a second beach was closed on the island after lifeguards thought they'd spotted a shark.

The beaches have since reopened. The 60-year-old man in the first alleged sighting has been charged with disorderly conduct.

MembersZone Subscriber

Man Survives 20-Foot Fall From Potomac River Dam Man In Restricted Area

POSTED: 12:39 pm EDT July 16, 2008
    UPDATED: 1:02 pm EDT July 16, 2008

WILLIAMSPORT, Md. -- The Maryland Natural Resources Police said a man who survived a 20-foot fall from a Potomac River dam was lucky he wasn't seriously hurt.

Ryan Myers, 22, of Clear Spring, tumbled over Dam Number 5 along with his personal watercraft Monday night after he and a friend ignored warning signs and entered a restricted area.

Myers told The (Hagerstown) Herald-Mail that he rode the machine to shore afterward and then walked barefoot for two miles back to the launch point while police and ambulance crews searched for him.

Myers acknowledged he shouldn't have been in the restricted area.

He is the son of Republican state Delegate LeRoy Myers.

Need I say more???

MembersZone Subscriber

Woman Finds 8-Foot Snake in Washer
    AP

GORHAM, Maine (July 17) - A woman got the shock of her life when she found an 8-foot snake mixed in with clothes in her washing machine. The snake, identified as a reticulated python, somehow got into the water pipes of Mara Ranger's 1800s-era farmhouse and slithered into the machine.

After Ranger took her blue jeans out of the machine Wednesday, she reached back into the load and felt something move.

"I jumped back and all of sudden its head starts coming out of the washing machine and it looked huge," Ranger told WMTW-TV.

Ranger quickly closed the lid and called police and an animal control officer, but they didn't want anything to do with the serpent.

When Richard Burton, who operates Maine Animal Damage Control in Lewiston, arrived at Ranger's house, he could barely believe his eyes.

Burton reached into the machine wearing a pair of welding gloves, expecting to come out with a 4-foot snake. But when he pulled the animal out, it kept coming and coming all 8 feet of it.

Once out of the machine, the angry snake wrapped itself around Burton's hand, cutting off the blood flow. Burton then wrestled the scaly reptile into a plastic bag, tied it shut and brought it to Lewiston.

That's where Jen Lewis, a wildlife rehabilitator who works at the Kennel Shop, identified it as a python. The snakes kill prey with their teeth but are not poisonous, she said.

Lewis and Lewiston's animal control officer planned to find the snake a home at a wildlife refuge.

But how the snake ended up in the washing machine remains a mystery. Burton guessed it was somebody's pet and that the owner ended up tossing it out into the wild when it got too big. It then made its way through the water pipes and into the washing machine, probably after the load was done, he said.

In the meantime, Ranger said she's a little paranoid.

"Now that it's gone, I'm going to be checking crevasses and corners," Ranger said. "I'm going to be looking in the tub first before and after, maybe even during, the rinse cycle."
    "When I was young, my ambition was to be one of the people who made a difference in this world. My hope is to leave the world a little better for my having been there."

MembersZone Subscriber

Need I say more???
    Hey now, play nice!!

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by DianeC View Post
    Hey now, play nice!!
    {that was playing nice LOL}

"I'M INVINCIBLE! I'm the son of a Delegate."

{You should see what a Senator's son can do! heheeheheee}

MembersZone Subscriber

{that was playing nice LOL}

"I'M INVINCIBLE! I'm the son of a Delegate."

{You should see what a Senator's son can do! heheeheheee}
    Gotcha, thought you were snarking on the party affiliation (and maybe you were?). Lost in translation, LOL...

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by DianeC View Post
    Gotcha, thought you were snarking on the party affiliation (and maybe you were?). Lost in translation, LOL...
    Or maybe I wasn't... or was I? LOL It has never been said that I met a politician that I really liked very much. hehehheehehee (thank you Charelton Heston)

MembersZone Subscriber

Power Naps Can Be Sign Of Productivity. Long Naps May Cause Sluggishness

Barbara A. Besteni, Staff writer

It's about 2 p.m. in Miramar, Fla. At the far end of a parking lot serving several office buildings, Jorge Hernandez opens the back door of his 2004 Honda Accord and disappears inside.

Twenty minutes later, he climbs out and heads back to his office, alert and ready to battle whatever the rest of the day has in store.

It's a ritual Hernandez follows religiously Monday through Friday.

"I don't know what I'd do without my daily power nap," he says.

Leonardo da Vinci, Albert Einstein and Thomas Edison -- all champion power nappers -- would have agreed. It could be argued that Edison was the first person to turn off the lights for the sole purpose of catching some midday Zs.

Research shows that a 20-minute nap in the afternoon may be just what the doctor ordered to recharge your battery and increase productivity for the rest of the day.

Long And Short Of Naps

The term "power nap" was originated by Dr. James B. Maas, author of "Power Sleep: The Revolutionary Program That Prepares Your Mind for Peak Performance." Maas defines a power nap as a short period of sleep that ends before deep, or slow-wave, sleep kicks in.

Dr. Sara Mednick, a researcher from the Salk Institute for Biological Studies, lists on her Web site improved heart function, hormonal maintenance and cell repair as some of the benefits of power napping. Her research also indicates that power naps can lift your moods, lower stress and improve memory and learning.

But in order to be effective, a power nap must not go on too long.

"I'm a nap junkie,"says Peter Castellanos, a sales and marketing consultant who credits naps for helping him stay focused during workdays that often go beyond 12 hours. "But if I'm asleep longer than 15 to 20 minutes, I get cranky and moody and am worthless the rest of the day."

That's what happens when someone goes beyond stages I and II of the sleep cycle, Maas said in his book. Sleep comes in five stages that repeat every 90 minutes throughout the night. Once you enter stage III, you are in slow-wave sleep and are entering deep sleep. Waking during this stage or later produces what's called sleep inertia.

Naps Don't Replace Long Sleep

While a 20-minute nap is a good refresher, it won't make up for hours lost at night.

Studies show that those if you lose sleep one night, your body makes up for it by increasing the amount of deep sleep you get the next night. But you can't catch up on sleep lost over a long period of time.

If you are often sleepy, or you find that your naps last longer than 30 minutes, it may be that you're not getting enough quality sleep at night.

Despite the benefits of a power nap, you still need an adequate amount of sleep every night to perform at your best, sa Maas. For some people, six hours might be adequate. Others may need eight hours or more. It's up to you to determine what amount is right for you.

The combination of quality nighttime sleep and consistent power naps will keep you alert and consistent throughout your waking hours.

"The return on investment of those 20 minutes a day is amazing," Castellanos says. "Power naps have added hours to my day by increasing the quality of the hours I'm awake."

Nap Tips

While there is no right or wrong way to take a nap, here are some tips for reaping the benefits of this midday ritual.

1. Try to schedule power naps after lunch. Experts say 2 or 3 p.m. is best. If you nap any later, you risk falling into slow-wave sleep or interfering with your regular night sleep.

2. Eat foods that are high in calcium and protein an hour or two before your nap. These foods help induce sleep. Avoid high-fat foods and foods that are high in sugar.

3. Use caffeine wisely. A Japanese study found that a cup of coffee 20 to 30 minutes before your nap may help avoid post-nap grogginess. It takes that long for your body to feel the effects of caffeine. The researchers concluded that by taking a power nap right after drinking a cup of coffee, you enjoy the benefits of the nap and wake up as the caffeine is kicking in.

4. Find a quiet place where you won't be disturbed. If you're not lucky enough to have a private office and a comfy couch, your parked car can work just as well. Remember to turn off your cell phone and, if you nap in your car, crack open a window.

5. Make the area as dark as possible. If necessary, wear an eyeshade. Darkness stimulates melatonin, a hormone that helps induce sleep.

6. Keep the temperature at a comfortable level. Body temperature drops when you fall asleep. Keep a light blanket handy just in case.

7. Relax. Turn off the to-do list in your mind and let yourself go.

8. Set an alarm. This insures you will wake before you enter deep sleep and won't miss an important meeting or appointment.

9. Be consistent. Experts suggest that working a 20-minute nap into your routine will help your body expect it. The more naps become part of your routine, the more you will reap the benefits.

10. Get rid of guilt. Researchers agree that power naps are great for your health and productivity. Taking a nap doesn't mean you're being lazy. So, stop feeling guilty.

Copyright 2008, Internet Broadcasting.
    =====
    Curious Cat Gets Stuck In Mason Jar. Firefighters Lube Jar, Guide Cat's Head Out

POSTED: 9:39 am EDT July 21, 2008

VANCOUVER, Wash. -- Curiosity didn't kill Ralph the cat, but it did get the feline stuck in a tight situation Sunday.

Two men arrived at Vancouver Fire Station 85 on Sunday with a cat whose head was trapped in a Mason jar, reported television station KPTV in Portland, Ore.

Firefighters said the men came home from a weekend camping trip to find their cat, named Ralph, stuck in the jar.

After some troubleshooting, firefighters decided to lube up the jar. They then guided Ralph's head out.

The cat wasn't hurt, but it remains a mystery how his head got in the jar. The men weren't sure how long the cat had been stuck.

Distributed by Internet Broadcasting.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by MalahatTwo7; 07-22-2008 at 02:29 PM.

Forum Member

Curious Cat Gets Stuck In Mason Jar. Firefighters Lube Jar, Guide Cat's Head Out
    I'm ignoring you on this one.

MembersZone Subscriber

WHAT A DUMBASS!

Stringing along police backfires for prankster

Times Colonist Published: Wednesday, July 23, 2008

It was supposed to be funny, or perhaps scary, but a West Shore man's prank simply landed him in jail for the night and earned him a scolding from police.

A West Shore RCMP officer stopped his marked police cruiser at the intersection of Kelly and Pickford roads at midnight Monday when he saw a purse on the road.

A plastic line was tied to the purse. As the officer approached, a man wearing a white mask leaped from behind a parked car, screaming.

The officer drew his sidearm and ordered the man to the ground.

Cpl. Gerry Sutherland said the man and a friend apparently thought it would be entertaining to lure motorists out of their car with the purse and jump out of the darkness and scare them.

"To continue this prank during police attendance displays a total lack of judgment which could have resulted in a very serious consequence," Sutherland said in a press release.

A 23-year-old Colwood man was arrested "and was held in police custody overnight to ensure a level of sobriety for the understanding of the situation he had placed himself and others in," said Sutherland.

No charges will be laid.

Forum Member

Default If only.....

...the keys for the holding cell were tied to a string, and dragged by the bars.. Each time the man attempted to reach for them, an officer would jump out and yell "BOOO!"

I fish for a living, but I have to work for money...

MembersZone Subscriber

Thumbs up

I laughed when I read this one:

Boy bites pit bull in Brazil

Reuters Published: Thursday, July 24, 2008

SAO PAULO -- An 11-year-old boy is enjoying a flash of fame in Brazil after biting a pit bull that attacked him as he played in his uncle's back yard, local media reported on Thursday.

Gabriel Almeida, who lives on the outskirts of Belo Horizonte in the state of Minas Gerais, broke a canine tooth when he bit into the dog's neck to fend off an attack. Since then, he has been pampered in the studios of several TV stations, where he has been recounting his ordeal.

"I grabbed him by the neck and bit," he told O Globo newspaper. "It's no big deal. It's better to lose a tooth than to lose your life."

He was freed when bystanders pulled the dog off him, and needed four stitches in his arm.

The Vancouver Province 2008

Thread Information