Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Weird But True

MembersZone Subscriber
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Red face

Have any of you seen...?

Missing in Mexico: One condom-mobile

By MARIA GALLUCCI, Associated Press Writer

Wednesday, October 1, 2008 (10-01) 10:52 PDT MEXICO CITY, Mexico (AP)

Missing in Mexico: One truck carrying 5,000 condoms, 800 HIV tests and a 23-foot (7 meter) inflatable prophylactic.

The coordinator of an HIV/AIDS awareness tour, Polo Gomez, said Wednesday that the "Condomovil" was parked in front of a friend's house in Mexico City when it disappeared Sunday evening. He believes the truck was stolen, but he doesn't know why. Police are still investigating.

The truck should be easy to spot. It features painted images of a peeled banana, the exposed part shaped like a condom, and a shirtless man saying: "I protect myself. Do you?"

Gomez estimated US$19,000 (200,000 pesos) worth of material is missing, including the truck, its contents and sound equipment.

As many as 440,000 Mexicans are living with HIV, according to 2005 estimates from UNICEF.

The Condomovil program has toured Mexico since 1998 promoting safe sex practices while distributing 1.2 million condoms to more than 700,000 people, Gomez said. The inflatable condom was used to draw attention from passers-by.

Gomez said a scheduled tour of Mexico's south would likely be canceled unless the truck is found.

The group bought the truck with a grant from Mexico's federal Health Department. The department also donated the 5,000 condoms in the truck when it went missing.

====
    San Diego-area bank hit by 2 robbers on same day

Wednesday, October 1, 2008 (10-01) 12:07 PDT La Mesa, Calif. (AP) --

Times have been tough for banks everywhere, but a San Diego-area Wells Fargo branch had an especially difficult day this week. The branch in La Mesa was robbed twice on Monday — by two different robbers.

The men the FBI call "The Hard Hat Bandit" and "The Chatty Bandit" each robbed the branch about three hours apart, authorities said.

FBI spokeswoman April Langwell says "The Chatty Bandit" walked in to the branch about 3 p.m., showed a pistol and demanded cash.

Less than three hours later "The Hard Hat Bandit" walked in and presented a note demanding money.

The FBI believes "The Chatty Bandit" has held up nine banks since March and "The Hard Hat Bandit" has struck three times this week. Neither has been arrested.
    Last edited by MalahatTwo7; 10-01-2008 at 03:56 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Ok, I have always been under the impression that if a uniform is issued for use while on the job, the Employer had full vested rights on how the uniform should be worn, and with what (if any) accoutrements. Right? So how is Metro being discriminatory?

Justice Department Accuses Metro of Religious Discrimination

POSTED: 12:29 pm EDT October 2, 2008
    UPDATED: 12:44 pm EDT October 2, 2008

WASHINGTON -- The U.S. Justice Department is suing Metro over its policy of prohibiting employees from altering their uniforms to accommodate religious beliefs, The Washington Examiner reported.

That's religious discrimination, according to the government.

The lawsuit cites the case of Gloria Jones, an Apostolic Pentecostal Christian, who in 2005 applied to be a Metro bus driver. Jones said she didn't get the job because her religious beliefs prohibit her from wearing pants, which are part of a bus driver's uniform.

Metro spokeswoman Angela Gates confirmed that Metro doesn't allow any deviations from the standard uniform, but she declined to comment on the lawsuit.

The agency is reviewing its uniform policy, Gates said.

Copyright 2008 by The Associated Press.

Forum Member

Default Mighty mouse indeed!

"Here he comes to save the day!

A mighty mouse tossed into a cage to be a snake's supper turned the tables and killed the viper.

Firefighters in Taiwan had caught the snake and found the mouse to feed it, but were shocked when the rodent bit and scratched the poisonous reptile to death.

Lan Sengqiu, the fire chief of Nantou town, said of the snake, "Perhaps it was a novice predator."

Forum Member

Default Just sad...

"A student in Michigan tossed holy water on his teacher, believing her to be a witch after she assigned Arthur Miller's "The Crucible," about the Salem Witch Trials.

Police said Darin Najor, 20, also had a lighter and said he wanted to "burn the witch."

{Kid musta watched too many reruns of Wizard of Oz-----......I'm melting, I'm melting..........what a world, what a world.........."}

Forum Member

Default A smashing good time!

"Frustrated? Go break things at the Smash Shack

A San Diego entrepreneur has found a perfect business for frustrating times: Selling customers breakables to fling against walls.

By Eilene Zimmerman
    September 25, 2008: 10:29 AM ET

San Diego entrepreneur Sarah Lavely has found a perfect business for frustrating times: Selling customers breakables to fling against walls.

When Sarah Lavely gets angry, she likes to break things. Not all the time, but on days when everything seems to be going wrong, she has been known to throw some plates against a wall. Fortunately, she has an easy outlet: Lavely is the founder of Sarah's Smash Shack, a San Diego shop where customers pay to smash tableware like dinner plates, wine glasses, intricately lined sashimi plates, brightly colored vases and goblets.

The store's pristine white shelves are filled with china just waiting to be broken.

"I picked pretty things because people are coming in here to do something they aren't supposed to do," Lavely says. "And breaking stuff like this is a little taboo."

The smashing is done in special soundproofed "break rooms" where customers - outfitted in coveralls, boots, gloves and a helmet - stand behind a chest-high barrier and hurl breakables at a stainless steel-covered wall. All the broken glass is donated to schools and art programs throughout the region.

Lavely, 38, is a former veterinarian. She began venting her frustrations on breakables as a child - she started with Christmas ornaments, then escalated to potted plants. As an angst-ridden teenager she targeted telephones and, once, a window.

"During my divorce," she says, "I broke a lot of stuff on my driveway."

That was when the idea for the Smash Shack came to her. Lavely hit an emotional rock bottom and woke up one day thinking: I really want to go break some stuff.

"I wished there was someplace I could go and just do that, just go nuts," she says. "I was sure other people felt like that at times, and I thought I should open a shop where you could do that."

Last November Lavely approached her friend Ed King, 34, a former veterinary technician, about partnering with her to start the business. After start-up costs of around $200,000, the store opened August 1.

As pioneers in the smash-for-cash business, Lavely and King have had to start completely from scratch. Greek restaurants aside, there are few if any places like Lavely's in the U.S.

"We had no business model to follow, no precedent, no place where you come only to smash things," she says. "We had to figure out what we needed - a room big enough to contain broken glass - how far is a safe distance from the smash wall, and what kind of safety equipment we would need."

In February, Lavely signed a lease for a two-story building in San Diego's trendy Gaslamp district. With the help of her husband Teague Hunziker, 35, a professional photographer and graphic designer, she and King sound-and-safety-proofed the break rooms, researched how different kinds of glass break, and installed sheets of heavy gauge stainless steel on the smash walls. The rooms are also equipped with sound systems that allow customers to hook up their iPod or MP3 player.

Ceramic white dinner plates are Lavely's biggest seller, because they require a strong toss and break violently against the wall. Patrons order from a menu that includes items like The House Special (15 plates in 15 minutes for $45), the Six Shooter (six rapid-fire wine glasses for $12) or the Juggernaut (two large jugs for $12.) Value seekers can opt for the Mystery Box: 10 assorted smashables for $25. If you'd like to smash a person, Lavely allows the next best thing - a photo inserted into a very breakable glass frame.

Since the shop opened business has been steadily increasing, with each night, on average, busier than the last. Despite consumers' tendency to be budget conscious in a down economy, Lavely is getting calls from groups of people who want to come to her shop from as far away as Los Angeles. Economic uncertainty might actually be driving business, as customers smash their way through the frustrations of high gas prices, a slumping housing market and rising unemployment.

"We leave Sharpies in the break rooms and people will write on a plate before they throw it. I don't read what they write, but when those customers are finished you can see they feel pretty emotional," Lavely says. "But that's why they came, to throw their frustrations against a wall and walk out the door feeling good."

On a recent Wednesday night, four middle-aged women came in to celebrate several birthdays at once. As they filed into the largest break room, where several piles of white plates sat waiting to be destroyed, they were giggly and nervous. But once the music started, the women began throwing plates - on which they had scribbled angry notes about home lives, work frustrations and teenage children - like Frisbees. They screeched with delight at each satisfying crack and splatter.

When they emerged from the room, breathless and exhilarated, participant Beth Daugh said, "That was intense, really cathartic."

She took off her helmet and shook out her hair, her face red and damp. "Writing message on the plates was the best part. Great therapy."

MembersZone Subscriber

Too bizarre:

Tombstone topples, man dies

Canwest News Service Published: Wednesday, October 15, 2008

OTTAWA -- An elderly man died Monday evening in a bizarre accident at the Saint-Grégoire cemetery in Buckingham, Que. Gatineau police said it appears the man went to tend the graves of his parents and died after a tombstone fell on him. Another visitor to the cemetery called police at 7:18 p.m., but the man was declared dead at the scene.

© Times Colonist (Victoria) 2008

MembersZone Subscriber

Did he whack the 'stache? Ohio officer suspended

Wednesday, October 22, 2008 (10-22) 07:36 PDT Sylvania, Ohio (AP)

A police officer was suspended for three days without pay in a tussle over whether he whacked his mustache to regulation length.

The facial hair of Officer Ron Dicus was the subject of a three-hour hearing Tuesday night before the Sylvania Township Board of Trustees.

Trustees determined the nine-year police veteran had been insubordinate. Dicus countered that he shortened his bushy mustache once when he was warned and again when he was charged.

Police Chief Robert Metzger described the 'stache as a "General Custer-type" that extended below the mouth in violation of department policy.

Dicus said he plans to take the dispute to arbitration.

Information from: The Blade, www.toledoblade.com
    =====
    Suspect in golf cart eludes Utah sheriff cruisers

Monday, October 20, 2008 (10-20) 12:13 PDT Morgan, Utah (AP)

A Utah sheriff's office has found that it shouldn't underestimate the golf cart as a getaway car. A suspect in a souped-up cart managed to elude officers who pursued him last month through an alfalfa field — but only for a while. He was arrested the next day at his grandmother's house.

Officers started pursuing the driver after he was spotted spinning out in a city park in Morgan. He took off into an alfalfa field and jumped irrigation ditches that the sheriff's cruisers couldn't cross.

Morgan County Sheriff's Sgt. Scott Peay suspects the cart was fitted with a car engine instead of the original electric motor.

Information from: Standard-Examiner, www.standard.net
    Last edited by MalahatTwo7; 10-23-2008 at 10:31 AM.

MembersZone Subscriber

I dont usually search through the Toronto Sun, but bordom is a close companion at work right now....

Welland woman wonders who carved her pumpkin
    By THE CANADIAN PRESS

Last Updated: 24th October 2008, 9:18am

WELLAND — A Welland woman is on the hunt for a mysterious pumpkin carver.

Jennifer Bazylewski and her four-year-old niece picked up a few pumpkins on Monday.

When they got home, they put the pumpkins on the porch with plans to scoop out the seeds and carve spooky faces another day.

The next morning, Bazylewski went out to the porch and was greeted by a “perfectly carved jack-o-lantern.”

She says whoever carved it cleaned up the mess and left a snack-size chocolate bar as well as the initials P.S. carved in the back of the jack-o’-lantern.

Bazylewski says she has no idea who the mystery pumpkin carver could be, but says her neighbour also had pumpkins touched by an unknown carver.

“When I was a kid and you left your pumpkin out on the porch, kids would usually smash them and now people are going around carving them?” she said. “It’s just weird.”

Forum Member

Lightning Strike Kills 52 Cows

2:29am UK, Saturday October 25, 2008

Fifty-two cows have been killed by a single lightning strike in a freak accident at a ranch in Uruguay.

Newspaper El Pais reported that the cows had pressed themselves against a wire fence during a storm when the lightning bolt struck in the northern Uruguayan state of San Jose.

A photograph released by the San Jose Police Department shows the black and brown cows lying dead in a row.

The newspaper said that vets at the scene confirmed the cause of the deaths, which happened on Wednesday.

The experts also said that cows often crowd around fences to seek protection during bad weather.

Meteorologist Fernando Torena said he was not surprised that a single lightning bolt killed so many cows.

But he called it "very bad luck".

{sounds like something that should be in another thread, along with the penguin freedom fighters}

MembersZone Subscriber

Almost had heartfailure when I first saw this headline. But I'm ok now.

British pub-goers may buy their beer a new way

By ELLE MOXLEY, Associated Press Writer Friday, October 24, 2008

Britain's beloved pint may be facing a downsizing.

The office that sets measurement standards said Friday that its proposed two-thirds pint measure for draft beer and cider could be on tap as soon as April.

Proponents of the new glass size say they like it because it would give consumers more options at the bar.

The pint is so much a part of British life that it survived the European Union switch to half-liters. And there already is a half-pint glass for those who want a lighter lunch or a clearer head.

Supporters of the new-size glass hope it will appeal to female drinkers, who traditionally eschew a full pint.

"It's hard ordering a drink on a date," said Emma Ross, 28, a postgraduate student having a beer with lunch in a London pub. "If I order a half-pint, it's ladylike, but where's my sense of adventure? If I order a pint, I know how to have a good time, but I don't want to advertise it to every guy standing at the bar."

Ross was drinking a half-pint (284 milliliters) of Stella Artois. For lunch at least, she said she probably wouldn't have ordered a two-thirds pint, which would contain 378.5 milliliters.

That's slightly more than 12 ounces.

Neil Williams, spokesman for the British Beer and Pub Association, said the two-thirds pint would be similar in size to many Continental bottled beers, encouraging customers to order these brews by the draft.

"It's not for every consumer or every venue," Williams said. "It just makes sense to add the two-thirds pint because for some customers and styles of beer, it'll just seem like the right size."

Williams said the new measurement would appeal to the lunch crowd and drinkers of specialty beers with higher alcohol contents.

But Jonathan Mail, spokesman for the Campaign for Real Ale, said a two-thirds pint could lead to too much drinking.

"People tend to measure their consumption by the number of pints they've drunk," Mail said. "If they're drinking a mix of pints and two-thirds pints, then that becomes quite a complicated calculation after a few drinks."

The National Weights and Measurements Laboratory is currently consulting bar owners and others on the proposed new glass size. If the laboratory adds the two-thirds pint as a standard unit of measurement, British pubs will have the option of serving draft beer by the partial pint.

MembersZone Subscriber

Rail passenger gets his arm sucked down on-board toilet trying to save his mobile phone

By Mail Foreign Service Last updated at 7:56 AM on 28th October 2008

A passenger on a French train had to be rescued by firemen after having his arm sucked down the on-board toilet. The 26-year-old victim was trapped when he tried to fish out his mobile phone, which had fallen into the toilet bowl, and fell foul of the suction system.

The high-speed TGV train had to stop for two hours

The man was carried away by emergency services, with the toilet still attached to his arm. 'He came out on a stretcher, with his hand still jammed in the toilet bowl, which they had to saw clean off,' said Benoit Gigou, a witness to the man's plight.

The incident happened on Sunday evening, aboard a train travelling in western France from La Rochelle to Bordeaux.
    ========
    Comments (26)Here's what readers have had to say so far. Why not add your thoughts below?

Nuff said reading the comments from Dee, Steve,and Michael. Maybe you should get together and write scripts for the BBC. They desperately need some good, clean talent to give us all a laugh.
    - albert hall, hove england, 28/10/2008 07:43

Is there no place where some people don't want contact with the outside world.?
    - jim, Wirral,UK, 28/10/2008 05:24

After my husband fished out his cell phone from a similar event at home, he had the bright idea of drying it out in the oven. Might have worked, except he forgot about it and it melted. Sheepishly calling the insurance company, the agent said not to feel bad. Another guy couldn't find his cell phone, called its number and his dog started ringing! Cell phone replaced. Thousands for the vet bill!
    - Carletta Morris, Silicon Valley, USA, 28/10/2008 04:59
    =======
    =======

Bubble-wrap baby: The tiny premature child kept alive with a little packaging

Last updated at 11:04 AM on 28th October 2008

He was such a special delivery, and such incredibly fragile goods, that the usual sort of wrapping just wouldn't do. The little mite swaddled in bubble wrap is Gregor Craig, who was born at just 24 weeks weighing a tiny 1lb 14oz - so small that his father's wedding ring fitted over his arm. His chances of survival were slim, but doctors wanted to give him every chance.

So they wrapped him in the bubble wrap to keep him warm. Hospitals often use plastic wrap to help premature babies retain their body heat, but this was the first time the doctors in Kintyre, western Scotland, had used the bubble variety. Luckily their efforts paid off and five months later he has finally been allowed home with his family in Argyll.

His mother, Martine Craig, 29, said: 'Gregor is one of life's true survivors. We can't believe that we have him home with us after his long fight for survival.
    'We just couldn't believe that anything so tiny could possibly survive.'

The couple were thrilled when Mrs Craig became pregnant with Gregor as she had suffered a previous miscarriage. Mrs Craig said: 'We were worried about losing this baby too, but at my ten-week scan I could feel some strong kicks coming from him.'

But then just a week after her 23-week scan Mrs Craig began suffering severe stomach pain. She went to Campbeltown hospital in Kintyre where doctors told her she was suffering from a urinary tract infection. A few hours later, the infection had triggered labour and the doctors couldn't stop it.
    But amazingly Gregor survived the birth. Mrs Craig, whose husband Keith, 33, is a bus driver, said: 'I was allowed to see him two hours later when I had recovered from the birth.

'He looked so fragile lying there, but at least he was alive. His nappy came up to his neck and his tiny hand was the size of a penny piece. Doctors only gave Gregor a 10 per cent chance of survival but he kept hanging on.' He was transferred by air ambulance to the Queen Mother Hospital in Glasgow to receive specialist care. After 24 hours, doctors said his chance of survival had increased and, on the fourth day, Mrs Craig was allowed to hold her son for the first time. She said: 'He felt so light it was just like holding a ball of wool. 'His skin was completely see-through and he was covered in wires and tubes, keeping him alive. But every day that he hung on he gave us more hope.'

At ten weeks he had laser eye surgery to stop him going blind as the blood vessels in his eyes hadn't developed properly. After 17 weeks in hospital, when Gregor had reached 7lb, he was allowed home. He has to have daily oxygen, and his parents had to learn how to resuscitate him if necessary.
    Mrs Craig said: 'He is now a happy six-month-old and incredibly all he seems to have is some slight hearing problems. It's a small price to pay for having him here with us.'
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by MalahatTwo7; 10-28-2008 at 02:51 PM.

Forum Member
    Now in Victoria, BC. I'm from beautiful Jasper Alberta in the heart of the Can. Rockies - will always be an Albertan at heart!

Truly a miracle baby.
    September 11th - Never Forget

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
    IACOJ CRUSTY CONVENTION CHAIR
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

Forum Member

It's wonderful to hear/see something so positive amidst all the negativity that's out there today.

MembersZone Subscriber

Hubby, wife both charged with drunk driving

By KENNETH JACKSON The Ottawa Sun

OTTAWA -- A Mississippi Mills husband and wife have been charged with impaired driving after being arrested by the same officer in separate incidents within half an hour over the weekend.

The couple had been at a social gathering when the husband left in their car and rolled the vehicle on Scotch Corners Rd., west of Carleton Place at about 2 a.m.

When police arrived, they arrested the 44-year-old man for impaired driving.

With the man in the back of the cruiser and the officer en route to the Carleton Place detachment, an erratic driver was observed travelling towards them on Hwy. 7 near Ramsay Concession 5A.

The officer stopped the vehicle and the man's 40-year-old wife was arrested for impaired driving. She had borrowed a car to locate her husband. The officer took the couple back to the station.

Police describe the arrests as "unique."

"I can't say it's a common occurrence to arrest both spouses," said Const. Paige Whiting.

Jan Stone and his wife Julie MacDonald are scheduled to appear in Perth court Dec. 1.

MembersZone Subscriber

Here fishy fishy fish

Mission angler's last cast hooks giant sturgeon 11-footer is released after an hour battle to haul 'er in

By Glenda Luymes, The Province Published: Thursday, October 30, 2008

The last cast of the day was a winner for fishing guide Matt Schaap.

An hour after dangling a hook baited with salmon roe in the Fraser River, the largest Fraser sturgeon hooked this year was on his line.

Weighing close to 362 kilograms (800 pounds) and estimated at about 100 years old, Schaap's 3.38-metre (11-feet, one-inch) catch was measured, photographed, tagged and released Saturday evening near Hatzic Bench in Mission.

It's the fifth-largest sturgeon caught on the Fraser River since tagging began in the mid-1990s.

"It was amazing to be part of it," said Schaap's boss, Vic Carrao, owner of STS Guiding Service.

The catch came five minutes before the end of an eight-hour fishing trip with a group of Langley men.

Schaap, who has been with STS for about six years, decided to try his luck one more time.

"He had a piece of used-up bait. He thought about changing it, but it was the last cast," said Carrao.

Using a 150-pound test line with a Lamiglas rod and Penn reel, Schaap and four other fishermen took turns hauling in the huge fish.

An hour later, they had their prize. Carrao, whose personal record catch is a 3.08-metre (10-feet, 11-inch) sturgeon landed in 2007, said this year's fish is the largest caught by someone with his guiding company.

"It's good to know there's quite a few fish of this size left on the Fraser," he said.

The prehistoric-looking fish, which was "calm as can be" after its capture, was photographed in the river and then released.

According to the Fraser River Sturgeon Conservation Society, sturgeon can live up to 150 years, grow to six metres in length and weigh upwards of 600 kilograms.

The longest ever caught was 3.4 metres, landed in 2003.

The fish is a threatened species, still recovering from intensive overfishing in the early 1900s.

There are an estimated 55,000 sturgeon in the Fraser River.

© The Vancouver Province 2008

photo credit:

Fishing guide Matt Schapp (far right) assists other anglers in hauling in a 3.4-metre-long sturgeon at Mission's Hatzic Bench Oct. 25.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Forum Member

Now THAT is a fish!

MembersZone Subscriber

Umm.. errr... ok... sure. Ya. I guess.....

By STAFF REPORTER Published: 30 Oct 2008

A BARMY Japanese man has started a campaign to legalise marriages between humans – and CARTOON CHARACTERS.
    The cartoon lover started the petition because he said he feels more at ease in the "two dimensional world".

And hundreds of like-minded people have signed up to his website.

Comic books are hugely popular in Japan, with some fictional characters becoming celebrities or even SEX symbols.

Marriage though is in decline as many Japanese youngsters find it difficult to acquire partners.

Taichi Taka****a launched the petition to legalise marriages with cartoon characters and will present it to the government.

But first he is aiming to get one million signatures.

"I am no longer interested in three dimensions. I would even like to become a resident of the two-dimensional world," he wrote.

"However, that seems impossible with present-day technology. Therefore, at the very least, would it be possible to legally authorise marriage with a two-dimensional character?"

It is not known whether his campaign is serious or not as he has left no contact details on his website.

But many are taking his petition very seriously.

"For a long time I have only been able to fall in love with two-dimensional people and currently I have someone I really love," one person wrote.

"Even if she is fictional, it is still loving someone. I would like to have legal approval for this system at any cost," the person wrote.

Japan only permits marriage between human men and women and gives no legal recognition to same-sex relationships.
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

MembersZone Subscriber

By ALEX PEAKE Published: 30 Oct 2008

FOUR pub-loving pals have drunk themselves into the record books by visiting boozers in every county in England, Wales, Ireland and Scotland.

The Black Country Ale Testers began their quest in 1984 and have just visited their 14,000th bar, The Stags Leap in Rugeley, Staffs.

Leader Peter Hill, 52, John Drew, 45, Karl Bradley, 45, and Peter’s dad, Joe, 77, got bored with their local The Old Crown in West Bromwich, West Mids, and began the charity tours which have raised £10k.

They have drunk 84,000 pints of real ale and plan to visit all 60,000 UK pubs — but it could take until 2084. Peter said: “It turned from a bit of fun to a serious hobby.”

Wish I had this kind of "Time On My Hands".
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

MembersZone Subscriber

Men turned on by turning back clock. Women prefer to sleep during that extra hour of daylight saving time

By JOANNE RICHARD, Special to Sun Media Last Updated: 28th October 2008, 8:23am

Men and women are divided when it comes to how they'll use the extra hour as the clocks turn back on Nov. 2 according to a new Better Sleep Council Canada survey.

Play Video Here’s something to sleep on: What to do with the extra precious hour of snooze time we’ll be gaining as clocks are turned back this Saturday night?

Well, men want sex and woman want sleep.

In fact, 57% of men chose extra sex versus just 32% of women, reveals research by the Better Sleep Council Canada. And nearly twice as many women than men chose to use that hour for sleep.

“The battle of the sexes has become a battle over sleep or sex,” says couples counsellor Karen Hirscheimer. “This is a common theme in many relationships, and left unchecked it can turn the bedroom into more of a battleground than a love den.”

Seems we’re just too tired to tango – we’re an increasingly sleep-deprived culture and relationships are fatigued. Canadians complain that their sex lives are stale and 45% say having more time would make their sex lives sizzle. But not this hour!

According to poll results, when gender differences were put aside, overall Canadians were equally divided with 44% preferring sleep and 44% opting for sex.

Hirscheimer says it’s a vicious relationship cycle. A bad night’s sleep kills the libido – 58% of women say they are less interested in sex after a poor night’s sleep compared to 43% of men. And not having sex diminishes energy and closeness.

And bad sleep behaviour is a major culprit: a whopping 81% of Canadians say they are disrupted by their partner’s sleep behaviour, and 73% say their relationship is affected by a poor night’s sleep. Almost one third are already sleeping separately - in a separate bed or on the couch - to get a better night’s sleep

“In a healthy relationship, sleep and sex should work together,” says Hirscheimer. Sleep is essential for health and a healthy relationship. “Sleep deprivation is a huge problem.”

According to marriage therapist Heather McKechnie, men see sex as a great stress reliever and sleep aid, while women want to have energy to enjoy sex so when they’re tired, they really do prefer sleep. “Regretfully, sex for many women has become another job to do. If men spent more time romancing their partners and engaging in more foreplay, this may very well change for women.”

When it comes to free time, “we’re dealing with scarce resources – for men it’s sex, and for women it’s sleep,” says Dr. Pepper Schwartz, relationship expert on perfectmatch.com. “If men would pitch in more, than maybe women would pick sex the next time.”

Experts agree that women are overworked and overwhelmed: “Working women feel that they have three shifts per day compared to men who have one to two shifts/day. One shift is the paid job, one shift is caring for family members and one shift is for housework, which is still primarily attended to by women whether they work or not,” adds McKechnie.

Meanwhile, turn it off to turn it on. Get rid of the TV, laptop, cell phone and stationary bike. Make your bedroom a sanctuary from life’s demands and it may heat things up.

“Your bedroom should be designed for sleep and sex, that’s it,” says Hirscheimer, adding that a comfortable bed promotes good sleep and good sex.

According to the survey, 11% think a bigger bed would lead to better sex.

Forum Member

Well, he definitely sounds loony-tunes!

Quote Originally Posted by MalahatTwo7 View Post
    Umm.. errr... ok... sure. Ya. I guess.....

By STAFF REPORTER Published: 30 Oct 2008

A BARMY Japanese man has started a campaign to legalise marriages between humans – and CARTOON CHARACTERS.
    The cartoon lover started the petition because he said he feels more at ease in the "two dimensional world".

"For a long time I have only been able to fall in love with two-dimensional people and currently I have someone I really love," one person wrote.

"Even if she is fictional, it is still loving someone. I would like to have legal approval for this system at any cost," the person wrote.

Japan only permits marriage between human men and women and gives no legal recognition to same-sex relationships.

MembersZone Subscriber

According to the survey, 11% think a bigger bed would lead to better sex.
    One wide and two deep?

FIREMAN 1st GRADE

November 4, 2008 -- A self-proclaimed "9/11 hero" who concocted tales of rescuing victims with his golden retriever is being sued by the feds for more than $35,000 in relief funds he scammed from FEMA. A lawsuit filed yesterday by the US Attorney's Office in Manhattan accuses Scott Shields and his sister, Patricia, of falsely claiming to need the money for rent on a Rector Street apartment while living in Greenwich, Conn. Scott Shields, 57, won accolades after claiming he and his now-deceased dog, Bear, made "the only live finds" at Ground Zero. He repeated the lie in a self-published 2003 book titled "Bear, Heart of a Hero."
    ALL GAVE SOME BUT SOME GAVE ALL
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    CAPT. Frank Callahan Ladder 35 *
    LT. John Ginley Engine 40
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40
    FF. Jimmy Giberson Ladder 35
    FF. Michael Otten Ladder 35 *
    FF. Steve Mercado Engine 40 *
    FF. Kevin Bracken Engine 40 *
    FF. Vincent Morello Ladder 35
    FF. Michael Roberts Ladder 35 *
    FF. Michael Lynch Engine 40
    FF. Michael Dauria Engine 40

Charleston 9
    "If my job was easy a cop would be doing it."
    *******************CLICK HERE*****************

MembersZone Subscriber

The naked truth about my dad's drug habit

Jesse Lupini, Times Colonist Published: Tuesday, November 04, 2008

Back when my brother and I were little, my dad used to read to us before bed. We'd curl up on the couch with hot chocolate, listening to the words of Dr. Seuss flow past our innocent ears.

After the last page, my dad would close the book and ask, "What's the most important thing in the world?"

"Family?" I asked earnestly.

"Nope."

"Love?" Suggested my brother.

"Keep trying."

I gave it one more shot, "Happiness?"

"No again! It's coffee. Remember that you can't have love without coffee!"

Nothing's changed in over 10 years. While coffee has been an enormous part of my life since I was little, it's only recently that I've been allowed to drink it. About a year ago my dad finally handed me the keys to our coffee machine -- a plumbed-in commercial espresso machine that really is another child to him.

I once walked into my dad's office and noticed him gazing at his computer, the glow lighting up his face. I slowly walked to an angle where I could see what he was looking at and to my horror read the word "naked."

"Dad, what are you looking at?" I asked nervously.

He beckoned, "Come and look at these pictures!"

I moved over to look at the screen. He was reading about "Naked Portafilters" on a web page with numerous pictures of coffee pouring forth from the specialized attachment.

I've even been asked to take videos of him making coffee as he comments on the consistency of the cream. I don't honestly know how he expected me to be immune from this coffee preoccupation, although I've certainly proven that I'm not.

Within the confines of our house, we're all obsessed with the purity and taste of coffee, but the outside world is obsessed in an entirely different way. Walking into a coffee shop would give you the impression that caffeine is just about as potent as a quarter of a children's Tylenol.

Yes, caffeine has been known to prevent some heart disease and stimulate your brain and whatever the latest set of studies has churned out, but that's no excuse to create mind-bendingly large paper cups designed to be filled with multi-shot drinks with names that are stark-raving bonkers and have more to do with a dessert than beans.

Obesity has been declared an epidemic in some countries, yet people still order enormous drinks that should probably come with a blood pressure cuff. I know people who order a Venti coffee drink on the way to school, have another at lunch, and then, in the evening, being unable to sleep, pop a few sleeping pills. The drinks people order on a regular basis are, typical of North American culture, excessive in size and sweetness.

I've also noticed that many people, especially kids, don't drink coffee because they like the taste, but rather because they like to like it. In the same way that smoking used to be considered cool, and as a result a new generation of nicotine addicts was spawned, being a regular coffee-drinker has become the norm, and many kids will drink coffee drinks not because of the fantastic taste, but because they enjoy being part of coffee-culture. As a result, they become addicted to a drink that is not only a drug, but comes in a cup so big it could use wheels.

We've lost sight of the original drink. The line between coffee and milkshakes has become as blurred as the line between a "dry" latte and a "wet" cappuccino ("Oh boy," you're thinking to yourself, "he really is batty"). I admit the "coffee purist" approach can be problematic -- most coffee I buy can't compare to the quality of the stuff at home -- but on the plus side, I've become quite handy with the naked portafilter.

Jesse Lupini is a 17-year-old Grade 12 student at Glenlyon-Norfolk School. His column appears Tuesdays.

© Times Colonist (Victoria) 2008

Forum Member

Default Just a bit touched

New York Post
    Wednesday, November 05, 2008
    Last Update: 11:15 AM EST

"A 19-year-old Englishman has legally changed his name from George Garret to Captain Fantastic Faster Than Superman Spider-Man Batman Wolverine Hulk And The Flash Combined, after paying a $16 fee.

"I wanted to be unique. I decided upon a theme of superheroes," said Captain Fantastic Faster Than . . . oh, forget it."

MembersZone Subscriber

Question

Cash found in Ohio house's walls becomes nightmare

By JOE MILICIA, Associated Press Writer

Sunday, November 9, 2008 (11-09) 03:20 PST CLEVELAND, (AP) --

A contractor who found $182,000 in Depression-era currency hidden in a bathroom wall has ended up with only a few thousand dollars, but he feels some vindication.

The windfall discovery amounted to little more than grief for contractor Bob Kitts, who couldn't agree on how to split the money with homeowner Amanda Reece.

It didn't help Reece much, either. She testified in a deposition that she was considering bankruptcy and that a bank recently foreclosed on one of her properties.

And 21 descendants of Patrick Dunne — the wealthy businessman who stashed the money that was minted in a time of bank collapses and joblessness — will each get a mere fraction of the find.

"If these two individuals had sat down and resolved their disputes and divided the money, the heirs would have had no knowledge of it," said attorney Gid Marcinkevicius, who represents the Dunne estate. "Because they were not able to sit down and divide it in a rational way, they both lost."

Kitts was tearing the bathroom walls out of an 83-year-old home near Lake Erie in 2006 when he discovered two green metal lockboxes suspended inside a wall below the medicine chest, hanging from a wire. Inside were white envelopes with the return address for "P. Dunne News Agency."

"I ripped the corner off of one," Kitts said during a deposition in a lawsuit filed by Dunne's estate. "I saw a 50 and got a little dizzy."

He called Reece, a former high school classmate who had hired him for a remodeling project.

They counted the cash and posed for photographs, both grinning like lottery jackpot winners.

But how to share? She offered 10 percent. He wanted 40 percent. From there things went sour.

A month after The Plain Dealer reported on the case in December 2007, Dunne's estate got involved, suing for the right to the money.

By then there was little left to claim.

Reece testified in a deposition that she spent about $14,000 on a trip to Hawaii and had sold some of the rare late 1920s bills. She said about $60,000 was stolen from a shoe box in her closet but testified that she never reported the theft to police.

Kitts said Reece accused him of stealing the money and began leaving him threatening phone messages. Marcinkevicius doesn't believe the money was stolen but said he couldn't prove otherwise.

Reece's phone number has been disconnected, and her attorney Robert Lazzaro did not return a call seeking comment. There were no court records showing that Reece had filed for bankruptcy.

Kitts said he lost a lot of business because media reports on the case portrayed him as greedy, but he feels vindicated by the court's decision to give him a share.

"I was not the bad guy that everybody made me out to be," Kitts said. "I didn't do anything wrong."

He's often asked why he didn't keep his mouth shut and pocket the money. He says he wasn't raised that way.

"It was a neat experience, something that won't happen again," Kitts said. "In that regard, it was pretty fascinating; seeing that amount of money in front of you was breathtaking. In that regard, I don't regret it.

"The threats and all — that's the part that makes you wish it never happened."
    ========

Now THIS is funny!

Car impounded after dog drives away from car wash

Thursday, November 6, 2008 (11-06) 16:59 PST Pryor, Okla. (AP) --

A dog waiting in a car while at a car wash slipped the vehicle into gear and drove in a loop before the car came to a stop. Pryor police officer Brent Crittenden said the dog's owner was washing the vehicle when the 70-pound pit bull jumped on the dash and somehow shifted the car into reverse.

The car backed out of the car wash bay, continued onto a highway and then looped around before coming to a stop at an automated car wash lane.

Crittenden said the vehicle was impounded because its owner was unable to provide proof of insurance.

Because the dog was registered with the city, Crittenden said the owner was allowed to walk the pooch home.

Information from: Pryor Daily Times, www.pryordailytimes.com
    Last edited by MalahatTwo7; 11-10-2008 at 02:18 PM.

Thread Information