Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Weird But True

MembersZone Subscriber
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Brazilian woman killed by husband's coffin

Reuters Published: Tuesday, November 11, 2008

BRASILIA - A woman in Brazil was killed by the coffin carrying her late husband when the hearse they traveled in was hit by another vehicle, local media reported Tuesday.

Marciana Silva Barcelos, 67, was on the way to the cemetery to bury her husband, Josi Silveira Coimbra, 76, who died of a heart attack the night before at a dance, Folha de Sao Paulo daily reported.

The hearse was hit from the rear by another car, local police told several newspapers, causing the coffin to slam into the head of Barcelos, who was sitting in the front passenger seat.

The accident occurred about 110 km south of Porto Alegre city in Brazil's southernmost state, Rio Grande do Sul.

Reuters 2008

MembersZone Subscriber

Unhappy

THIS IS JUST WHACKED!!!!

Florida teen commits suicide in front of webcam

By RASHA MADKOUR, Associated Press Writer

Friday, November 21, 2008 (11-21) 10:00 PST Miami, Fla. (AP) --

A South Florida teen died of a lethal drug overdose in front of a live online webcam audience 12 hours after he started blogging about his plan to commit suicide, an investigator said Friday.

Abraham Biggs, 19, died Wednesday from a toxic combination of opiates and benzodiazepine, a drug used to treat insomnia and depression, said Wendy Crane, an investigator with the Broward County medical examiner's office. At least one of the drugs was prescribed to him and it's unclear how he got the others, Crane said.

Some of those watching encouraged Biggs, others tried to talk him out of it, and a few were debating whether the dose he took was lethal, Crane said. It's unclear how many people were watching.

Biggs stated his intentions on a forum at bodybuilding.com, where some users said they did not take him seriously because he had made previous statements about killing himself, Crane said. Biggs posted a link from there to Justin.tv, a site that allows users to broadcast live videos from their webcams.

Someone finally notified the moderator of the body building site's forum, who traced the teen's location to Pembroke Pines and called police, Crane said. Biggs was dead by the time they got to his house around 3:30 p.m. Wednesday, Crane said. He had started blogging at 3 a.m.

"He was just seen laying on the bed at that point," she said.

Condolences poured into his MySpace page, where the mostly unsmiling teen is seen posing in a series of pictures with various young women.

A woman who answered the phone at Biggs' home and identified herself as his sister said the family was still dealing with his death and declined immediate comment.

Biggs' father, Abraham Biggs Sr., told ABCNews.com that he was not home when his son died. He said his son struggled with depression and had been prescribed benzodiazepine to treat bipolar disorder. Biggs had been "doing better," his father said. "He was a good kid."

The elder Biggs said he was upset that Justin.tv streamed his son's suicide live.

"There seems to be a lack of control as to what people put out on the Internet," the elder Biggs said. "There's a lot of garbage out there that should not be, and unfortunately this was allowed to happen."

In a statement, Justin.tv CEO Michael Seibel said: "We regret that this has occurred and want to respect the privacy of the broadcaster and his family during this time."

Messages left with the body building Web site were not immediately returned Friday. A spokesman said Pembroke Pines police are investigating but declined further comment.

Crane said she knows of at least one other case in which a South Florida man shot himself in the head in front of an online audience, although she didn't know how much viewers saw.

In Britain last year, a man hung himself while chatting online.

Forum Member
    Now in Victoria, BC. I'm from beautiful Jasper Alberta in the heart of the Can. Rockies - will always be an Albertan at heart!

Quote Originally Posted by MalahatTwo7 View Post
    THIS IS JUST WHACKED!!!!

Florida teen commits suicide in front of webcam

By RASHA MADKOUR, Associated Press Writer

Friday, November 21, 2008 (11-21) 10:00 PST Miami, Fla. (AP) --

A South Florida teen died of a lethal drug overdose in front of a live online webcam audience 12 hours after he started blogging about his plan to commit suicide, an investigator said Friday.
    OMG

This story deserves a stand-alone thread. There's just so many thoughts and memories racing through my head. Remember that chick who kept posting on here under different names who was always threatening to kill herself? Why on earth didn't someone watching this unfold think to call 911? At what point does someone figure out that this is real, and not ... TV? Not real? *sigh*

It really makes one stop and think about how this technological age we live in has changed how we think, what we will accept as a society.

For all I am involved with internet sites like FH, IACOJ, Firehall, Pogo.com (games), talking to people through PMs, MSN etc., being friends with people I've never met and some I won't ever meet in a million years, I'm really quite naive when it comes to what's out there on the Net.

I really don't know what else to say. Sorry for the ramble.
    September 11th - Never Forget

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
    IACOJ CRUSTY CONVENTION CHAIR
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

MembersZone Subscriber

Thats ok for the ramble Sheri, I didnt really know what to say either when I read it. As for the stand-alone, I thought of that too, but figured I'd made a lot of those recently.....

Forum Member
    Now in Victoria, BC. I'm from beautiful Jasper Alberta in the heart of the Can. Rockies - will always be an Albertan at heart!

And it (the power and influence of the internet and how it makes people behave) continues ....

Sooke students suspended for taking part in 'Kick A Ginger Day'
    Attacks, inspired by satiric TV show, targeted redheads

Judith Lavoie, Times Colonist

Published: Saturday, November 22, 2008

More than 20 students at Journey Middle School in Sooke were suspended for a day after shocked teachers received complaints they were kicking redheads.

The students, boys and girls from Grades 6, 7 and 8 were sent home Thursday after taking part in "National Kick a Ginger Day," an ugly online campaign started on Facebook by a 14-year-old Courtenay youth who is now under investigation by Comox Valley RCMP.

Isolated incidents were reported at other schools on Vancouver Island and across Canada, and teachers and administrators are asking parents to talk to their kids about discrimination and bullying and to keep a close eye on what they are accessing on the computer and watching on television.

The campaign is believed to have been inspired by the animated TV program South Park.

Jim Cambridge, Sooke school district assistant superintendent, said the problem at Journey started with a few students and then others joined in.

"They came to school with the idea it would be a fun thing to do, more as a prank than anything else. They started looking for redheaded students and kicking them in the shins, and then other students thought it looked like fun and it grew rather rapidly," he said.

The victims complained and the principal gathered up the participants, Cambridge said.

Principal Terry Honer then phoned their parents and told them their sons and daughters were to go home for the day. All except a couple of parents were supportive of the day's suspension, despite the inconvenience, Cambridge said.

"But, I'm sure some of the victims' parents were frustrated and angry," he said.

A couple of students who had been kicked had bruises, but most were fine, he said.

Yesterday, students were called in to talk to the principal about how discriminating against someone because of the colour of their hair is no different from discriminating because of the colour of their skin, Cambridge said.

"That leads to racism and certainly involves bullying," he said.

During the next week the students will personally apologize to those they kicked, perform a public service at the school and write a report on discrimination, racism or bullying.

"These are not bad students -- they started a prank and ended up doing something very foolish," Cambridge said.

"I think most of them are fairly remorseful."

Adults are always likely to be one step behind kids when it comes to technology, so the task of teachers and parents has to be to cope with human behaviour and help them make good decisions, Cambridge said.

Sooke school board chairwoman Wendy Hobbs said there is zero tolerance for such behaviour in schools, and it appears there is a need for more education on the issue.

"It is quite shocking to me that this sort of thing would happen in our schools," she said.

"I think it's peer pressure. I think it's what they are watching on TV and then Facebook gets things out very quickly. I think parents have to be very aware of what kids are watching on TV or doing on the computer."

One 15-year-old girl, who asked not to be named, said most teenagers knew about "Kick a Ginger Day," but the majority would not take part.

"It's just something different. One of my best friends is a redhead and she has a major bruise," she said.

jlavoie@tc.canwest.com

Times Colonist (Victoria) 2008
    Last edited by RspctFrmCalgary; 11-22-2008 at 03:45 PM.
    September 11th - Never Forget

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
    IACOJ CRUSTY CONVENTION CHAIR
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

Forum Member

Default Lost In Space

Spider Learns to Weave Web in Zero Gravity

NASA scientists find lost other spider lurking in its box
    By GINA SUNSERI
    Nov. 20, 2008

"Spider No. 2 has finally been found on the International Space Station, apparently lurking somewhere in its box before finally resurfacing today. Perhaps it overcame space adaptation sickness.

(pix at NASA.gov)The second of two spiders accompanying the crew on the space station disappeared earlier this week, and the flight team had been hoping for it to return.

In the meantime, spider No. 1 has apparently gotten the hang of weightless weaving. Video of the spider's web shows a dramatic improvement in recent days. Earlier this week the web was very tangled, with no symmetry at all. Now it looks more like a spider's web should look."

MembersZone Subscriber

After watching Lost In Space last night, you'd figure that they would reconsider putting "spiders" in space. LOL
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

Forum Member

After watching Lost In Space last night, you'd figure that they would reconsider putting "spiders" in space. LOL
    Why do you think I posted that?

MembersZone Subscriber

Original Get Smart series nearly didn't get made

Chris Knight, Canwest News Service Published: Monday, November 24, 2008

DVD packaging is such an unappreciated art. At first glance, the new box set for Get Smart: The Complete Series seems a disappointment. Couldn't they have made it look like a shoe phone or covered it in a plastic cone of silence?

But try to open it. The front of the box pulls down on a hinge. Then a pair of doors must be opened, followed by a second pair, which look like a phone booth. Inside, each of the show's five seasons has its own fold-out holder encased in a plastic slipcover. The whole thing nicely replicates the iconic opening of the late '60s TV show, right down to the part where I got my nose caught in the box while closing it.

Get Smart was created by Buck Henry and Mel Brooks as America's answer to both British superspy James Bond and bumbling French crime-fighter Inspector Clouseau. It's a testament to these characters that all three are still going strong: Daniel Craig reprises his role as Bond in Quantum of Solace, opening Friday; Steve Martin is set to play Clouseau again in The Pink Panther 2, opening in February; and Steve Carell plans to play Maxwell Smart in a sequel to this year's well-received Get Smart movie.

The original series had less auspicious beginnings. ABC commissioned a script but chose not to shoot it. NBC then agreed to finance the pilot, but series star Don Adams claims the results weren't great. "We looked at the pilot and said, 'Well, there's about six funny minutes,'" he recalls in a 2003 interview. (He died in 2005.) "And then they called from New York and said, 'Listen, we have a lot of pilots to watch this year, and we can't watch all of the pilot. Have you got six minutes?' And I said, 'Have we got six minutes!'?"

It sounds like the kind of conversation Maxwell Smart might have had. Get Smart was a gold mine of catchphrases "I asked you not to tell me that!" "That's the second-biggest [blank] I've ever seen!" "Missed it by that much!" "Would you believe ...?" " . . . And loving it!"

Many of these lines were unremarkable on their own, but unforgettable in Adams's unmistakable delivery, which he says was an over-the-top impression of William Powell playing Nick in the 1934 film The Thin Man.

Producer Leonard Stern, who also invented the multiple-doors opening sequence, remembers: "The first note I received from the network about the show said, 'Please change Don Adams's strident delivery.' Seven weeks later on the Gemini 7 flight, something went wrong . . . and the control said, 'Sorry about that, chief,' in Don Adams's voice. It became the most imitated voice in America that year." He even heard the phrase used by American servicemen in Vietnam.

In addition to the original black-and-white pilot and the 138 episodes that ran from 1965 to 1970, the 25-disc set includes features, interviews, blooper reels and TV spots.

A clip from The Bill Dana Show in 1964 shows Adams playing a hotel house detective named Byron Glick, but he's already Maxwell Smart in all but name. He even uses one of Smart's set-ups to discuss surviving water torture: "Three hundred gallons, can you believe that? Would you believe a quart? How about a glass of water and an eyedropper?"

The DVD also includes reproductions of NBC's memos of broadcast standards for the show. One warns against Max becoming too "faggy" in a scene in which he appears in drag, while another requests the word "idiot" be removed "to avoid this flippant reference to mental ill health."

This attempt at political correctness seems odd when set against the series portrayal of Native Americans, Arabs and others. One Asian character was added to an episode featuring a ship captain named Grauman, solely to set up the line, "Are you Grauman's Chinese?" Bernie Kopell, meanwhile, played the stereotypical German evil mastermind Siegfried.

Also out this week is the 2008 Get Smart movie starring Carell as Smart and Anne Hathaway as Agent 99, a role played by Barbara Feldon in the original series. In lieu of a director's commentary, Get Smart includes a "comedy optimization mode" in which deleted and alternate scenes can be viewed during the movie. This feature should really be added to more releases.

Imagine the hilarious alternate versions of Daniel Day-Lewis's "I drink your milkshake" line from There Will Be Blood.
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

MembersZone Subscriber

Accused drunken driver ends up running over self

Wednesday, November 26, 2008(11-26) 05:25 PST Santa Fe, N.M. (AP)

A man is in a northern New Mexico jail, accused of driving drunk and leading police on a chase that finally ended with him running over himself.

Roy Travis Aguilar, 21, was treated for minor injuries at a Santa Fe hospital and booked into the Sandoval County detention center on charges of aggravated driving while intoxicated, fleeing a police officer, careless driving and two other outstanding traffic warrants.

A tip on a police hot line Sunday afternoon reported a possible drunken driver on a highway.

State Police Officer Grace Romero spotted Aguilar's pickup truck swerving across both lanes of the highway, driving slowly and then fast. He refused to stop.

After narrowly missing other vehicles, police said Aguilar drove through a ditch and a barbed-wire fence before stopping. He tried to put the truck into park, but it ended up in reverse.

Police said Aguilar fell from his open door and both of his legs were run over by the front driver's side tire.

MembersZone Subscriber

Thumbs up

84-year-old deluged with help after $3K water bill

Tuesday, November 25, 2008 (11-25) 18:00 PST Appleton, Wis. (AP)

An 84-year-old man hit with a $3,000 quarterly water bill for leaky pipes won't have to pay a dime, thanks to the generosity of others.

As of Tuesday, a drive to help Norman Beckman had raised $4,027 in one week. Organizers stopped accepting the contributions that were still coming in.

"The donations ranged from $5 to $500," said Bryan Kassube, who started the drive. "I'm just floored we reached our goal in one week."

The bill was for the period from Jan. 1 to March 31.

At the time, Beckman was not able to live in his home. In his absence, water pipes froze, causing three leaks that sent 44,700 cubic feet of water through the meter. No damage to the house was reported.

Kassube said he was mailing a check for $3,006 to the city water utility to cover the bill, plus interest on the unpaid balance.

The rest goes to Beckman, who plans to give it to the Salvation Army.

Beckman said he felt humbled by the response to his problem.

"It tells me there are many ways we can be proud of this community," he said.

Information from: The Post-Crescent, www.postcrescent.com

Forum Member

How does That much water leak from pipes inside a house and not cause any damage!?! he's just as lucky for that as he is to get the money from all those people.

MembersZone Subscriber

I heard about the story over the radio news this morning, and I seem to recall that the water went into the crawl space.... but I can not specifically confirm that.

MembersZone Subscriber

Dumb Car Thief Hides Out in Police Chief's Driveway

Updated 1:51 PM EST, Thu, Nov 27, 2008

A word of advice to car thieves: don't hide in the police chief's driveway.

Of all the driveways in all the towns in all of New Jersey, he pulls into this one.

Police in Toms River say a man who stole a car in nearby Beachwood nonchalantly turned onto a side street and pulled into a driveway in an effort to elude his pursuers.

There was only one problem: The driveway is at the home of Toms River Police Chief Michael G. Mastronardy.

It turns out Mastronardy was on his way home Wednesday when he received a call about the stolen car, and he and another officer were following it at the time.

The driver, George Parker of Bridgeton, got out of the car and was immediately confronted by police. He's been charged with auto theft.

Toms River has about 34,000 homes.

Copyright Associated Press
    =====

Comments (7)

Today at 9:20 AM Sounds like one for "America's Dumbest Criminals" on Fox. Anonymous

Today at 8:43 AM Well it is New Jersey, need we say more? LOL

Today at 4:01 AM looks like it's a Happy Thanksgiving to the thief! Anonymous

Thursday, Nov 27 at 11:25 PM Toms River is a city lol, but the chance of parking in the police chief's driveway is 1 in 34,000! Steve

Thursday, Nov 27 at 5:47 PM Because he didn't have a car!

MembersZone Subscriber

Red face

Ill. zoo creates ornaments from reindeer droppings

Friday, November 28, 2008 (11-28) 11:51 PST Bloomington, Ill. (AP) --

The Christmas ornaments for sale at the Miller Park Zoo's gift shop are partly manufactured by reindeer. Honest!

Staffers make decorations out of droppings from the zoo's two reindeer, Ealu and Rika. The droppings are dried, then clear-coated and either painted or rolled in glitter.

Zoo marketing director Susie Ohley has named the products "magical reindeer gem ornaments," and each comes with a label of authenticity. They cost $5 at the zoo gift shop.

Staffer Katie Buydos, who makes jewelry as a hobby, donated wire and beads, saying, "Susie asked me to bring some creativity to the table."

Some folks are surprised at the size of the "gems," which are only about as big as marbles. "Reindeer are so big," zoo maintenance worker Sheldon Williams said. But the droppings are "just a big pile of small."

Information from: The Pantagraph, www.pantagraph.com

Forum Member

Talk about a $h!77y gift!

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by firecat1 View Post
    Talk about a $h!77y gift!
    "Alex, I'll take "coal" for 25 please."

MembersZone Subscriber

Something we've all wanted to do... but I guess we did not because we were not "told to"..... Texas eh?

Man says God ordered him to ram vehicle at 100 mph

Monday, December 1, 2008 (12-01) 17:13 PST SAN ANTONIO (AP) --

A man who rammed his truck into a woman's vehicle on a highway early Friday told authorities he crashed into her while going more than 100 mph because God told him "she needed to be taken off the road."

The truck rear-ended the car on U.S. Highway 281, both vehicles spun across a median then came to a stop along a barrier in the opposite lanes. Both drivers suffered only minor injuries.

"He just said God said she wasn't driving right, and she needed to be taken off the road," Bexar County Sheriff's Office spokesman Kyle Coleman said in the online edition of the San Antonio Express-News. "God must have been with them, 'cause any other time, the severity of this crash, it would have been a fatal."

The pickup driver did not tell police how the woman was driving. Police could not find alcohol or drugs in either driver.

A psychiatric evaluation has been ordered for a man.

Forum Member

A local radio show mentioned this event about the vehicle ramming incident. They agreed that at times they had felt like ramming a vehicle (who hasn't?) but suggested that the identity of the "voice" may have not been God, but perhaps someone from a warmer place... When hearing voices in your head, it is best to check with the caller ID..
    I fish for a living, but I have to work for money...

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Ummm ... Ok... Sure. I Guess

Judge throws out Nanaimo lawsuit alleging brain control by Google, Telus

By Paul WaltonDecember 4, 2008

A judge has now dismissed a Nanaimo lawsuit seeking $2 billion in damages from various agencies and businesses, including Google, Microsoft, Telus, the RCMP and Great Canadian Gaming.

Three weeks ago, Justice Fraser Wilson exasperated lawyers seeking to have the case brought by Jerry Rose, who lives just south of Nanaimo, immediately dismissed.

Rose claimed that technology created by the various defendants invaded his brain and manipulated his thoughts. In addition to the $2 billion he sought a red 2007 Ferrari, a black 2009 Lamborghini, two 2008 V-Rod Harley Davidson motorcycles, two 2008 Honda dirt bikes and a 2009 black Dodge pickup.

Wilson took issue with the court rule cited by the lawyers as they presented their arguments on Nov. 12.

"The starting point in such applications is that the courts will be reluctant to deprive a party of the right to pursue his claim in the courts unless it is 'plain and obvious' that the plaintiff's statement of claim discloses not reasonable cause of action," stated Wilson in his decision released this week.

In a long legal analysis, Wilson looked at whether Rose's allegations were "incapable of proof."

Although he accepted that the allegations "must be taken as true" he asked whether they are "based on speculation" and "incapable of proof."

Rose's allegations on the surface, he concluded, might give rise to litigation. If Rose "was able to prove that his brain had been invaded by some sort of waves generated by the defendants . . . that may give rise to a cause of action," stated Wilson.

But Wilson found that Rose's allegations were "wild speculation" and "bound to fail."

"I find that it discloses no reasonable claims against the defendants."

He also called Rose's case "embarrassing and prejudicial."

Copyright (c) The Victoria Times Colonist

Who is this guy? Does he have a tin foil hat to go with his allegations?

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Umm... Ok.... (figure This One Out!)

Mom allegedly forges teen's absence excuses

Friday, December 5, 2008 (12-05) 07:58 PST Victorville, CA (AP) --

A Southern California mother allegedly forged school absence notes repeatedly so she could hang out with her daughter's 15-year-old girlfriend.

Deanna Diggs was arrested Tuesday and booked for investigation of forgery.

Sheriff's investigators say Diggs picked up her daughter's best friend from Silverado High School at least seven times after the teenager's mother dropped her off at school. Diggs left her own daughter at school.

Diggs allegedly wrote absence excuses, signing them with the name of the girl's mother.

Sheriff's spokeswoman Karen Hunt says Diggs told investigators she was merely providing support to the girl because she allegedly wasn't getting attention at home. It wasn't disclosed what they did during the school day.

Forum Member

It wasn't disclosed what they did during the school day.
    That's just creepy!

Forum Member

Default Flyin' high

"It's a brew that's outta this world.

Space Beer has arrived in Japan. Brewed in outer space for five months aboard the International Space Station, the barley-corn-based stuff recently returned to planet Earth and is being marketed by Japanese giant Sapporo."

Wonder what kind of import tax goes with that?

Forum Member

Weird, but true:

There used to be a semi-popular thread on these forums called "Once upon a time..."

Whatever happened to that??
    I fish for a living, but I have to work for money...

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by rhvfd1214 View Post
    Weird, but true:

There used to be a semi-popular thread on these forums called "Once upon a time..."

Whatever happened to that??
    Which one? There are at least 3 of them. The best one was started by Stayback500 about 6 years ago.....

Thread Information