Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Weird But True

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by MalahatTwo7 View Post
    Which one? There are at least 3 of them. The best one was started by Stayback500 about 6 years ago.....
    I was thinking that Stayback500 had started the "It was a dark and stormy night.." thriller thread, which was forced into an early retirement before the penguins took over the house..
    I fish for a living, but I have to work for money...

Forum Member
    Now in Victoria, BC. I'm from beautiful Jasper Alberta in the heart of the Can. Rockies - will always be an Albertan at heart!

Quote Originally Posted by rhvfd1214 View Post
    I was thinking that Stayback500 had started the "It was a dark and stormy night.." thriller thread, which was forced into an early retirement before the penguins took over the house..
    Nope, that was started by Artie (E229LT)
    September 11th - Never Forget

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
    IACOJ CRUSTY CONVENTION CHAIR
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

MembersZone Subscriber

Up, she be right!
    Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
    http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
    EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by RspctFrmCalgary View Post
    Nope, that was started by Artie (E229LT)
    I stand corrected.. I will now shamefully submit myself for the upcomming water lashings and the ever embarrassing, Kool-Aid in the shower head prank..

Lowering head in shame.....

MembersZone Subscriber
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Lightbulb

REMEMBER: I DONT WRITE THIS STUFF!

Inventor builds She-3PO robotBy CAROLINE IGGULDEN

Published: Today

SHE is the perfect wife, with the body of a Page 3 pin-up and housekeeping skills that put TV’s Kim and Aggie to shame.
    Her name is Aiko, she can even read a map, and will never, ever, nag.

Sounds too good to be true, doesn’t she fellas? And she is. Aiko is actually a robot, a fantasy brought to life by inventor Le Trung.

Devoted Aiko — “in her 20s” — has a stunning 32-23-33 figure, pretty face and shiny hair.

She is always happy to clean the house for “husband” Le, help with his accounts or get him a drink.

Computer ace Le, 33, from Ontario, Canada, has spent two years and £14,000 building his dream girl.

He had planned to make an android to care for the elderly.

But his project — inspired by sci-fi robots like Star Wars’s C3PO — strayed off-course.

Inspiration ... Star Wars robot C3-PO Le said: “Aiko is what happens when science meets beauty.”

Robo-wife Aiko starts the day by reading Le the main newspaper headlines.

The couple often go for a drive in the countryside, where Aiko proves a whizz at directions.

And they always sit down for dinner together in the evening, although Aiko doesn’t have much of an appetite.

Le says his relationship with Aiko hasn’t strayed into the bedroom, but a few “tweaks” could turn her into a sexual partner.

Le said: “Her software could be redesigned to simulate her having an orgasm.”

Aiko can already react to being tickled or touched. She also recognises faces and speaks 13,000 sentences.

Now Le is seeking a sponsor to help him overcome the robot-maker’s biggest challenge — making Aiko walk like a human.

Once Aiko has been perfected, Le hopes to sell clones for use as home-helps.

He said: “Aiko doesn’t need holidays, food or rest, and will work almost 24 hours a day. She is the perfect woman.”

Aiko sparks mixed reactions in public.

Le said: “Women usually try to talk to her. But men always want to touch her, and if they do it the wrong way she slaps them.”

c.iggulden@the-sun.co.uk

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage...cle2023392.ece

PROs & CONs

She knows how to use the Sky+box;

Will always remember your mum's birthday;

can join in multi-player XBox games;

Can be set to "mute" during the football game;

Easy to turn on.

BUT...

Might short circuit while doing the dishes;

Could hack into your emial and text messages;

Would have very a long memory and endless stamina for shopping.

Forum Member

Default The man had a heart!

I'm a Tigger fan but here's something I didn't know about the voice behind the character:

"Paul Winchell (December 21, 1922 – June 24, 2005), born Pinkus Wilchinski (the family later shortened it to Wilchin), was an American ventriloquist and voice actor from New York City whose career flourished in the 1950s and 1960s.

Winchell's later career included a great deal of voice-over acting for animated cartoons, notably for Disney and Hanna-Barbera, including Fleegle on The Banana Splits Adventure Hour, and Gargamel on The Smurfs.

For Disney, Winchell was best known for voicing the character Tigger in Disney's Winnie the Pooh films, and won a Grammy for his performance in Winnie the Pooh and Tigger Too.

He was also an amateur inventor who was the first person to build and patent a mechanical, artificial heart, implantable in the chest cavity (US Patent #3097366)."

He was interested in medicine and studied pre-med at Columbia University. He graduated from The Acupuncture Research College of Los Angeles in 1974, and became an acupuncturist. He also worked as a medical hypnotist at the Gibbs Institute in Hollywood.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by firecat1 View Post
    I'm a Tigger fan but here's something I didn't know about the voice behind the character:

"Paul Winchell (December 21, 1922 – June 24, 2005), born Pinkus Wilchinski (the family later shortened it to Wilchin), was an American ventriloquist and voice actor from New York City whose career flourished in the 1950s and 1960s.

Winchell's later career included a great deal of voice-over acting for animated cartoons, notably for Disney and Hanna-Barbera, including Fleegle on The Banana Splits Adventure Hour, and Gargamel on The Smurfs.

For Disney, Winchell was best known for voicing the character Tigger in Disney's Winnie the Pooh films, and won a Grammy for his performance in Winnie the Pooh and Tigger Too.

He was also an amateur inventor who was the first person to build and patent a mechanical, artificial heart, implantable in the chest cavity (US Patent #3097366)."

He was interested in medicine and studied pre-med at Columbia University. He graduated from The Acupuncture Research College of Los Angeles in 1974, and became an acupuncturist. He also worked as a medical hypnotist at the Gibbs Institute in Hollywood.

Incidentally, the "first" artificial heart was constructed using an Erector set (later to be known as Mechano. Check out AC Gilbert for more info. )
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

MembersZone Subscriber

Ummm... how did he collect the stuff in the first place?

Man sprays 'toilet-papering' teens with fox urine

Friday, December 12, 2008 (12-12) 12:23 PST Willmar, Minn. (AP)

A 50-year-old man told authorities he was fed up with teens toilet-papering his house during homecoming week. This year, he decided to defend his property — with a squirt gun filled with fox urine.

Now, Scott Wagar is in trouble with the law. He pleaded not guilty on Wednesday in Kandiyohi County District Court to misdemeanor assault and other charges. He was released on personal recognizance.

According to police, on Sept. 16, Wagar used night vision goggles and saw 15-20 people running toward his place. He told them to leave and sprayed them with the fox urine. He also struggled with one teen who he says grabbed him from behind.

In an interview with The Associated Press on Thursday, Wagar says he's innocent, and has a right to defend his property. He says groups of teens have been toilet-papering and egging his house during homecoming for about eight years, and each year it gets more destructive.

He says he sprayed the kids with a mixture of one-third fox urine and two-thirds water because "it stinks, but it doesn't hurt anything."

Information from: West Central Tribune, www.wctrib.com

Forum Member

Ummm... how did he collect the stuff in the first place?
    Well...

He invited the foxes over for a game of poker. After the beer and salty peanuts, the poor critters couldn't hold it anymore, so he offered for them to use his "Man-Cave" urinal troth, which he had masterfully rigged to drain into a small bottle that he would later use to refill his weapon of vile revenge.

or not..
    Last edited by rhvfd1214; 12-12-2008 at 10:45 PM. Reason: Foxs, foxen, foxes, feexe, heck, I don't know..

Forum Member

Well...

He invited the foxes over for a game of poker. After the beer and salty peanuts, the poor critters couldn't hold it anymore, so he offered for them to use his "Man-Cave" urinal troth, which he had masterfully rigged to drain into a small bottle that he would later use to refill his weapon of vile revenge.

or not..

1214, you have waaaaaayyyyyyy too much time on your hands if you can come up with things like that (and the humanacows too).

MembersZone Subscriber

HAHAHHAHAAHAA So many times have I WANTED to do this!

Man shoots at rappers over ‘cranky old man’ lyrics in Senegal

December 15, 2008 3:36 AM

DAKAR - A 70-year-old man opened fire with his hunting rifle on a rap group at a concert in northeast Senegal at the weekend because he felt their song lyrics were insulting him, police and local media said on Monday.

Five young people were wounded in the shooting incident at Lobali village in the Matam region on Senegal’s border with Mauritania, some 700 kilometres from the capital Dakar.

The man told the rappers to stop when they started singing about a “cranky old man,” and when they did not, he opened fire with his rifle, a local police officer said.

“The elderly gentleman felt that these young people were insulting him in their songs,” the officer added, saying the man was arrested.

Rap songs, whose lyrics often criticize political leaders, aspects of daily life or social behaviour, have become increasingly popular in recent years in mostly Muslim Senegal.

© Copyright (c) Reuters
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

Forum Member

HAHAHHAHAAHAA So many times have I WANTED to do this!

Man shoots at rappers over ‘cranky old man’ lyrics in Senegal

© Copyright (c) Reuters
    "i said a hip hop the hippie the hippie
    to the hip hip hop, a you dont stop
    the rock it to the bang bang boogie say up jumped the boogie
    to the rhythm of the boogie, the beat"

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by firecat1 View Post
    "i said a hip hop the hippie the hippie
    to the hip hip hop, a you dont stop
    the rock it to the bang bang boogie say up jumped the boogie
    to the rhythm of the boogie, the beat"
    You said I have too much time on my hands???

I didn't create the Humacows.. I just named them after someone else developed the idea.. I am not as sick as you would believe.. Some people might even say I have a talent... For what, they are not sure, but a talent, none the less..

Forum Member

You said I have too much time on my hands???
    Hey, that bit isn't from me, it's from Rapper's Delight, from waaaaaaayyyyyy back in the skating days. It just seemed to go with the thread. *shrug*

Forum Member

As sung by the "Rapping Grandma" and featured in the movie, "The Wedding Singer." Now don't you want your meatball?

Forum Member

As sung by the "Rapping Grandma" and featured in the movie, "The Wedding Singer." Now don't you want your meatball?
    Nah, I'm talking 1979-80 at the rink, when it was still on vinyl {still have my copy too }. It was a surprise when I saw that movie tho, and heard Granny beltin' out the lyrics. Meatball??

Forum Member

Default Extraocular Implant

"The implantation of jewelry in the outer layer of the eye, this is one I must admit I had not heard of. Apparently first done in the Netherlands, it has come to the US. According to Dr. Christopher Rapuano, a corneal surgeon at Philadelphia’s Wills Eye Hospital, “You can think of it as crazy. I mean this is invasive surgery where you are cutting the surface layer of the eye open to put a little piece of jewelry in. The first time I read about this I said, ‘Oh, my God, who is doing this?’” The safety of this procedure will have to prove itself over time, since it hasn’t been performed on many people, but the possibility for infection and complications is definitely there."

All I can say is "that's nuts"!

CFEI / CFII

Default Mexican Fireworks Show

Lowest bidder got the contract. Funny ending!

http://community.firevideo.net/video...works-too-much

When fire is cried and danger is neigh,
    "God and the firemen" is the people's cry;
    But when 'tis out and all things righted,
    God is forgotten and the firemen slighted.
    ~Author unknown, from The Fireman's Journal, 18 Oct 1879

MembersZone Subscriber

First story of the New Year:

The second most famous pig in B.C. 'fell victim' to Lady Macdonald

1886 visit to Vancouver Island was marred by porker's untimely demise

By Jim Hume, Times ColonistDecember 7, 2008

The most famous pig in British Columbia's sometimes unusual history is the one shot on San Juan Island by American settler Lyman Cutler in 1859. The porker belonged to the Hudson's Bay Company and its execution precipitated a period of sullen sabre rattling and called The Pig War before cooler heads prevailed.

Cutler was eventually fined for shooting the pig and after prolonged study by an international commission the kaiser of Germany awarded ownership of San Juan Island to the Americans.

Twenty-seven years would pass before the second famous pig came along.

Lady Macdonald, the wife of Prime Minister Sir John A. Macdonald, killed it in 1886 en route to Victoria during the PM's one and only visit to Vancouver Island.

At least Sir John claimed his wife killed the pig although, being a consummate politician when telling stories, his version doesn't quite coincide with the facts of the case.

Sir John claimed the act of butchering for his wife during his response to a "welcome to Victoria" speech in 1886. He thanked gathered dignitaries and ordinary citizens for the welcome accorded his party, especially "for the reception given Lady Macdonald [who] is a greater British Columbian than I am if that is possible." The Colonist of the day reported "laughter and cheers" erupted as Sir John the orator continued.

He told the crowded banquet hall that Lady M. was such an admirer of B.C. that she had ridden on the cowcatcher of his official train for "six hundred miles in order not to lose a single beauty along the line."

He said he wasn't too happy about the First Lady of Canada hanging on for dear life as the locomotive rolled through the mountains and down through Hope to the Fraser Valley, but there wasn't much he could do about it as, "with a woman's pertinacity she clung to the cowcatcher without any injury to herself, and only met with one accident -- she killed a pig." There was more laughter, more applause, but no further explanation from Sir. John A. or the Colonist.

For additional details we have to turn to Sir John's private secretary and confidante Sir Joseph Pope and his memoirs. Sir Joseph suggests riding on the cowcatcher at the front of the locomotive was fairly common practice -- although dangerous.

So dangerous in fact that when Sir William Van Horne, president of the Canadian Pacific Railway, heard that the prime minister himself had indulged in a little cowcatcher riding for 150 miles in the Selkirk Mountains he "peremptorily forbade" the PM to further expose himself to the danger from falling rocks.

Sir John A. obeyed and retired to the "President's car named Jamaica" but Lady Macdonald "with characteristic imprudence" ignored Van Horne and continued to occupy "the cowcatcher most of the way between Canmore and Port Moody, a distance of nearly six hundred miles."

Sir Joseph says he and two other aides "took turns accompanying her." It was on one of those duty spells on a "straight piece of [rail] road near Hope [we were travelling] at a fairly lively rate when there started up from a neighbouring ditch a number of young pigs."

Sir Joseph says that as the train "rushed on" the pigs rushed harder until "they broke off and scattered ... except for one little fellow who seemed determined to try conclusions with us for he kept on the track, running as hard as he could, and squealing at the top of his bent. We closed on him rapidly. I knew we were in great danger, but there was nothing to be done. The point of the cowcatcher was a foot from the pig's hind legs. I heard the thud as the on-speeding train struck him. Squealing, he was lifted high in the air, and passed between my body and the post I was holding."

Sir Joseph said the locomotive driver "comforted me after the crisis had passed, with assurance that if the pig had struck any of us ... it would have been more disastrous than a rifle bullet." He ended his version of the incident with a terse: "I have not ridden on a cowcatcher since."

There is no mention of Lady M., the Fraser Valley settler who was missing a piglet from his litter that night, or whether Sir John A., having claimed the killing for his wife, offered any compensation.

Sir Joseph does, however, provide an evocative vignette of Prime Minister Macdonald when the train arrived at Port Moody -- the track not yet built as far as Vancouver.

He tells us that as the official party left the train "and looked out on the blue waters of the Strait of Georgia ... Sir John, taking off his hat, addressed the people from the platform of his car. As I stood on the shore of the Pacific by the side of that old man, with his grey hair blowing across his forehead, I could not help feeling what an exultant moment it must have been for him. Here was the full realization of his political dream of years. Here it was, built out of the resources of Canada. It was no paper road, this. He had travelled over it himself. With his own eyes he had witnessed the marvellous feat. Here, lapping at his feet were the waters of the Pacific Ocean. His dream had become an accomplished fact."

Easy to forget the pig while wondering why we don't have PM's like that any more, politicians who dream dreams -- and make them come true.

(Source: Public Servant -- The Memoirs of Sir. Joseph Pope, Oxford University Press and Times Colonist files)

© Copyright (c) The Victoria Times Colonist

So now you know.

MembersZone Subscriber

I heard about this on the radio during the Christmas break.

Fabulous fib is named Wis. club's top lie of 2008 By DINESH RAMDE, Associated Press Writer

Monday, January 5, 2009

(01-05) 18:23 PST MILWAUKEE, (AP)

A whopper about a devious baby and his diapers is the top lie of 2008, an organization of champion fibbers declared Monday. The Burlington Liars Club bestowed its top award for this line: "My grandson is the most persuasive liar I have ever met. By the time he was 2 years old he could dirty his diaper and make his mother believe someone else had done it."

Garth Seehawer, 71, of Oconto Falls, said he took immense pride in having crafted the 2008 Champion Lie.

"When you're the best in the world at something, sure, that's an honor," he said, insisting with a chuckle that his background as a lawyer gave him no advantage.

Four judges picked Seehawer's lie out of about 160 entries.

The six runners-up included a fib about air passengers watching the movie "Cocoon" when turbulence hits, spilling water from the screen and causing the airliner's life rafts to inflate.

The Burlington Liars Club got its start in 1929 when local journalists Otis Hulett and Mannel Hahn fabricated a news story about a lying contest between the Burlington police and fire departments. The police chief won after he said he'd never be good at lying because he never told a lie.

From those beginnings, the club expanded to about 2,000 members around the world, said Eddie Impens, the club's vice president. It's headquartered in Burlington, a town about 35 miles southwest of Milwaukee.

Impens, who owns a lumber company, said most of this year's entries came from Wisconsin, though one arrived from Canada. He expected more entries from France, which historically has produced the best lies entered from overseas, he said.

A telephone conversation with Impens is fraught with lighthearted skepticism. He answers questions easily, but occasionally adds with a quick laugh, "You know, I could be lying to you about all this."

A lifetime membership in the Liars Club costs $1. It grants the holder the right to submit an unlimited number of fibs each year.

Concocting a good lie isn't a matter of diligence, Seehawer said. Usually, the spark of an idea pops into his head, and he lets it percolate for a while before typing it out and submitting it.

He came close to capturing the club's top honor about 12 years ago with the observation that a winter breeze was so stiff it blew off his brother's bald spot, leaving him with a full head of hair.

"A good lie isn't just a tall tale or exaggerating," he said. "You have to have something fun, not believable but impossibly true."

MembersZone Subscriber

'There's no stress': Couple weds at Taco Bell

Saturday, January 10, 2009 (01-10) 22:21 PST Normal, Ill. (AP)

Wedding bells meant Taco Bell for Paul and Caragh Brooks.

Customers inside the fast-food restaurant continued to order tacos and burritos as the couple sat Friday in an orange booth at Taco Bell and exchanged vows.

"It's appropriate," groom Paul Brooks said. "It's an offbeat relationship."

Employees displayed hot sauce packets labeled with the words "Will you marry me?" They decorated the restaurant with streamers and balloons.

The bride wore a $15 hot pink dress and the entire wedding cost about $200. Several dozen guests looked on as the couple's friend, Ryan Green of Normal, administered the vows while wearing a T-shirt. He was ordained online.

"This is the way to go — there's no stress," said the groom's mother, Kathy Brooks.

Caragh Brooks, 21, of Australia, met Paul Brooks, 30, on an Internet dating Web site. They already had the same last name.

The couple wrote back and forth and talked on the phone for nine months before Caragh Brooks moved to the United States.

"We have the same brain, just in two bodies," Paul Brooks said. "We think alike in virtually every manner. We have the same interests, viewpoints."

He proposed on New Year's Eve and, because they like to spend time at the local Taco Bell, they decided to wed there.

"I would never have expected in my life in working here there would be a wedding," restaurant manager Carl Hamlow said.

Information from: The Pantagraph, www.pantagraph.com

Forum Member

Default You've got to be kidding!

I tell you, squirrels are taking over, one way or another!

Will Squirrel-Flavored Chips Be the Next Hipster Bar Snack?1/9/09 at 5:13 PM

"The Times wasn’t kidding when it said squirrels were all the rage in England. According to the Telegraph of London, British potato-chip company Walkers has introduced a "Cajun squirrel" trial flavor, one of several that may eventually become permanent. In a promotional video, Martyn Wright, a man who is said to have been “constantly harassed by cheeky squirrels” before he came up with the most blechtacular idea since the PickleSickle, assures that no squirrels are harmed in the making of the chips — which means they may soon be available at your local gourmet store!"

MembersZone Subscriber

AHAHAHAAA. I did NOT in any way shape or form alter this. It is as it was published in SF Gate. (San Fransico Chronicle)
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Forum Member

AHAHAHAAA. I did NOT in any way shape or form alter this. It is as it was published in SF Gate. (San Fransico Chronicle)
    ROFLUIC

MembersZone Subscriber

Big coffee drinkers hallucinate more: Study

AFPJanuary 14, 2009 5:00 AM

Although researchers found that people who drink large amounts of caffeine may be more prone to hallucinations, the study noted that the tendency to hear voices may not be caused by caffeine, but simply reflect the kind of people who drink lots of coffee.Photograph by: Chris Young, National Post LONDON - People who drink more than seven cups of coffee a day tend to hallucinate more than less caffeine-driven colleagues, according to a study published Wednesday.

Those with a high caffeine intake are three times more likely to have heard a non-existent person’s voice than those who drink one cup a day, said the research by psychologists at Durham University.

But the study noted that the tendency to hear voices or have other hallucinations may not be caused by caffeine, but simply reflect the kind of people who drink lots of coffee.

"This is a first step towards looking at the wider factors associated with hallucinations," said Simon Jones, the PhD student who led the study.

"Previous research has highlighted a number of important factors, such as childhood trauma. Many such factors are thought to be linked to hallucinations, in part because of their impact on the body’s reaction to stress."

Co-author Charles Fernyhough stressed that the study did not confirm a causal link between caffeine intake and hallucinations, noting also that three percent of people regularly hear voices in their head.

"One interpretation may be that those students who were more prone to hallucinations used caffeine to help cope with their experiences," he said.

"More work is needed to establish whether caffeine consumption, and nutrition in general, has an impact on those kinds of hallucination that cause distress."

The researchers now plan to study the impact of other forms of food and drink on hallucinations.

"It’s surprising that there has been so little research into nutrition and hallucinations. In some countries high consumption levels of sugar and saturated fat are linked to poor mental health outcomes," said Jones.

"Given the link between food and mood, and particularly between caffeine and the body’s response to stress, it seems sensible to examine what a nutritional perspective may add."

The study appears in the journal Personality and Individual Differences.

© Copyright (c) AFP

Thread Information